Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies,

My DF and I are moving to Portsmouth over the summer and basically if we live in Portsmouth we can't adopt fthrough them because of the small geographical area and they wont place their children in Portsmouth itself. I wont go into too much detail but was wondering if anyone had used any other agencies and how that worked out.

Feel free to PM me as I am not sure of what you can and cannot say on here.

Thank you.

Milly xx

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Milly,

Don't know if its me, but got abit confused with your pm - portsmouth and southampton come together under the umbrella of hampshire (one of the largest counties) and once approved, hampshire county council work together with 2 or 3 other counties when matching children - this is what we have been led to believe, but sorry can't remember which counties our sw told us.  We have been told that basically, when matching they will first look geographically (for obvious reasons) but as the county is so big, they tend to match couples who live on the coast with children from the north of the county.  I cannot praise hampshire cc sw's enough, they have been brill, very helpful and efficient.  From our prep course in Nov, we have our panel date of 7th May  :) ^pray^

Hope this helps, but feel free to pm me if you want.

Coops
x

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coops,

Thank you for getting back to me. Sorry to confuse you but I think the whole situation is very confusing. I spoke to Hampshire County Council adoption services and they were great. However, they wont accept you if you live in Portsmouth or Southampton as these two cities have their own adoption agencies. The lovely duty social worker has sent me a map of the areas that are covered and both Portsmouth and Southampton are blanked out!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: We could go through Portsmouth as they are part of a consortium (West Sussex, Southampton, Isle of Wight, Poole) but we would not be a priority and would only get a child who has not been able to be placed in their own county and as the other areas cover wider geographical areas I have been told that they don't really have a problem placing children! We really don't know what we should do other that live outside of Portsmouth and commute in, but where!!!!

Where abouts do you live if you don't mind me asking!

I am glad that everything is going well for you. ^hugme^

A very confused Milly xx

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hello Millyflower,
Basically there is Hampshire as a county then in it there is Southmpton and Portsmouth who are unitary authorities (seperate from Hampshire).
You will be able to choose whether to go with Hampshire or Southampton or Portsmouth.

Southampton and Portsmouth are part of the South Coast Consortium and you could end up with a child from this consortium (Poole, Southampton, Portsmouth and West Sussex). OR you could go on the national register and get one from any where in the country.

Basically Hampshire cover anywhere apart from the 2 cities.

Hope this helps

good luck
love
T
xxx

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi T,

Thank you for your reply. However, we have been told by Hampshire if we live in Portsmouth they cannot take us on so we can only go with them if we live outside of Portsmouth!

Southampton have also said that they would not take us on as a priority as they would rather take people on from Southampton and place their children in this area.  ???

I think our two options are, live outside of Portsmouth and go with either Portsmouth or Hampshire, or live in Portsmouth, go through Portsmouth but wait for a placement from the consortium which would involve taking hard to place children. ^idiot^

I just don't know what the better option would be. I wish I could find someone who lived in Portsmouth and ask them what they did! :-\

Milly xx

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi,

Blimey, this does sound all very confusing  ^idiot^ - doesn't take much to confuse me!!  We live in Warsash, which comes under southampton.  All we did was phone hcc based at swanwick and they said nothing about the previous pm's.  We always understood that children from portsmouth/southampton would not be placed with us and understood that geographics play a large part in placing children, but as before, with hampshire being so large, this is not a problem.  I must admit, I did not know that you can either go through portsmouth or hampshire - always thought they were one and the same ^idiot^

For us, we always wanted siblings, so believe we were put on the prep course quite quick for this fact - they must have a large number of siblings wanting to place - time will tell for us ;D

Well, I hope things become clearer soon and you start your journey.  All the best and again pm if you want to.

Coops
xx

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Coops,

We too would like a sibling group. We are going to drive down on Sunday and explore the areas surrounding Portsmouth and hopefully this will help us make a decision.

My official test day is tomorrow my my AF has started and I am testing negative on a Clearblue so we need to know how we are going to move on. Portsmouth make you wait 6months and Hampshire 12months after your last IVF cycle but I believe once approved we could be waiting even longer with Portsmouth as we would then have to wait for a consortium match!  :eek:

Not long now. I would love to stay in touch and keep updated with your news.  :)

Milly xx

·
Registered
74 Posts
Milly,

Firstly sorry if your news is bfn  :(  For us with our last bfn, we knew straight away that it would be our last try - too much of a rollercoaster and not a good one at that  ;D ;D.  Yes, with hants, we had to wait 12 months, at the time it was annoying, but to be honest that time went really quick and it was REALLY nice to get "our" lives back and not be living month to month.  It's amazing how quick we forgot about "baby making" and started being us again  :)  The one thing hants has is a timescale from when you attend the prep course to being approved - 8 months, which is brill - nice to know that things won't drag along and this time has gone very quickly.  Beginning to panick now about the reality of it all and know that our lives will be changing completely soon  ???  I know the wait after approval may drag, but we are determined to enjoy our time together.  The one big positive about adoption is that we know there is a light at the end of the tunnel as oppose to ivf - the not knowing, the constant disappointments - so the wait is not a problem  :)

Please feel free to keep in touch and I hope your wait is not a long one.  ^reiki^

Coops
xx

·
Registered
386 Posts
helloooo, sorry to hear you might not have been sucessfull in your recent tx  ^hugme^

when we approached Southampton, we were told that they usually didn't place children within the city limits due to it being quite a small geographical area. They were happy to assess us.

I presume it would be the same within the consortium, not necessarily meaning you would get a hard to place child/ren, just one from somewhere else.

If you do move to Portsmouth, you could end up coming under Hampshire anyway as the surrounding areas are not covered by Portsmouth ..... it's not straight forward!!!

Good luck in your journey, hope it is a short one for you
xxx

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tarango,

I can't believe that they said the opposite to you. So do you live within Southampton or on the outskirts? It is all so confusing!  ^idiot^

We were looking at living in Southsea but are going to drive down on Sunday and explore the surrounding areas? Any ideas?

Coops, thanks honey. We have some big decision to make. I look forward to hearing all of your news!

Milly xx

·
Registered
386 Posts
hello

Southsea is ok, very nice to sit and watch the ferries go by.
Other good places are Old Portsmouth (just along from Southsea) and GunWharf.
Farlington is also nice but 'inland'

This is courtesy of my friend who lives there (Farlington!!)
Good luck on Sunday xxx

T
xx

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hiya,

My Mum and Dad have lived in Portsmouth for 10 years now - in Southsea. They really enjoy living there.

Apart from Uni hols I have never lived there though and didn't adopt in that area so I am wondering why I am rambling on at all...

Good luck on your journey anyway!

Shivster

1 - 12 of 12 Posts