1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Help !!!

I'm really struggling thinking of ideas of what to feed Hannah

I guess she is quite fussy and not really interested in feeding herself to much yet - will eat biscuits ok, but toast or anything like that forget it.

Breakfasts are hard as she wont eat baby porridge, ready brek or weetabix will eat jars of porridge (heinz and organix)  when the mood takes her. Also srambled egg but not much toast unless I feed her samll squares of it. She will always  eat yoghurt and fromage frais though.

Lunch and tea are even more of a problem - she really likes food out of jars best ( :( after all that time I spent pureeing stuff and freezing it in ice cube trays all she wants id a jar :( )

So any ideas of easy and fairly quick things to prepare would be grately appreaciated. I have tried several things out of the annabel karmel book but she didn't seem keen. She likes sunday dinner type stuff (mash veg and gravy - but can't ccok that everyday)

It seems really hard to know waht is best. HV keeps going on about how she should be totally integrated into our meals by now - but it's not easy, I don't really eat much breakfast, I have a sandwich for lunch and then I don't want to eat my tea at 5:30 pm  :p

Sorry if this sounds like a rambling moan - it's not meant to but Hannah is charging round the place at top speed so keeping one eye on her and she has a very smelly bum so needed to be quick before we both pass out form the fumes  ;D

Thanks

Rachel

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Hi Rachel,

My Hannah is almost the same,we have the added problem of milk/soya lactose intollerant,as well.
What Hannah is having at the moment is Banana Sunshine and jam sandwhiches and slices of banana for breakfast.

Lunch-she has poweder stuff for 4month+,but i had stuff into it like baked beans or spagetti hoops or chopped up meatballs or raveoli.
Hannah has been know to eat peas and choppoed carrots but these effect her tummy badly.
during the day i give her rusks or boots own biscuits,lots of chopped grapes and raisins,bits of orange,and slices of apple,lots of the time she just plays with it after having a tiny nibble,mind you she will alway eat the raisin and grapes.
she also like paste sandwhich or marmite sarnies.
I think at around about they get fussy eaters as all my books talk about it a lot,so guess its rather normal to try and get more food into toddlers.
I think its a pint of milk they should be having,someone might be able to tell you how much for sure,i am expressing 8oz for mixing with foods and she is having 7oz at bedtime.

hope you find some ideas,goodluck

lisaxx

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
ohh the stress!  Your post just brought it all back!

Rach - I remember the sheer frustration after all the organic stuff I'd done for Laura, she suddenly would eat nothing but chicken nuggets and chips! (older than 1 but younger than 2). They have this switch which flicks to  - NO I think.  I bought the Annabel Karmel books, but Laura only ate one thing out of it which was chicken rice.  Laura was the opposite to Hannah at 11 months - she rejected all jars (they started to have "lumps" in) and gagged on them. BUT she did like finger food (small chunks of cheese, raisins, apples (but whole, so she didn't choke) and - I've posted this before - I put the TV on while she ate so I could distract her. BAD MOVE in many ways, but I was desperate.  She loved yoghurt, so we had lots of that, and fruit.  Meat was a complete no no, but eggs were great.  I think part of it is they've realised they can say NO.

I'm not sure I will be any help, as Laura totally rejected the jars - but typically she ate a very limited repertoire including

Spahetti chopped up small with chopped ham and sweetcorn in
Spag bol - again using shortened spag
Macaroni cheese - (she used to swallow the pasta whole so you may want to choose really small pasta).
Toast or sandwiches cut into interesting shapes with biscuit cutters
Annabel Karmel's one pot chicken rice
chips - loved them after swimming.
Mashed potato - again using cutters to give shapes (i.e snowmen)
Smoked salmon - She adores it!
Banana, which I let her mash up
Chocolate buttons - bribery to eat the first course!

I'm not sure I've been any help, as I think the starting point of Hannah still liking to stick to jars may mean you may not find this helpful - but just in case something works I write it down for you.

I found that the repertoire of what she would and wouldn't eat was very limited for what seemed like ages. We still give a reward for tasting new things - which means that she likes unusual things - like mussels, which I loath - but hates "normal" kid food like pizza and baked beans.

Hey ho.

Rach, you will find the route for Hannah probably on your own, and then in a year or two you'll be writing down what worked for you for all the Mum's of our new bubs  ;D ;D

Heaps of luck

Fee xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi rach

Toby loves Baked Beans - have you tried them?  I get the reduced sugar & salt ones, recommend by my old HV.  They are quick & easy with a couple squares of toast.

Also he loves philadelphia cheese on anything - toast, sandwiches, rice cakes.

If she likes potato have you tried jackets? you can just throw them in teh oven (no peeling required  ;D ;D) and keep one for yourself for later, then scoop hers out & mash with a  few veggies.

I think at this age you just have to keep trying, some days they won;t be that hungry anyway.

lots of luck

Vicky x

·
Registered
655 Posts
PS stuff holier than thou HV's!!!  I am not going back to see mine anymore I can't stand her.

PS I eman HV's that are holier than thou not HV in general, sorry jeanette.  My old one was lovely.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hi Rach

We were having probs with Amy's eating untill recently.

She would push the spoon away and shake her head! This went for jar food and home cooked stuff. Finger food she just threw on the floor  ???

Then 10 days ago we cut out all daytime milk, chocolate, crisps - anything that kids love  ;) And when she refused her meal we said okay, threw it away and lifted her out of her high chair, at this point she would throw herself on the floor and scream - think it's because she was getting no reaction from us, I was really wound up but I wasn't about to let her see that  ;D

We have always insisted that she at the table with us when we eat, this we carried on and she would pick at our dinner a little. Then after 4 days she got up one morning and did nothing but eat! And has carried on  ;D
Today she had a rusk for brekkie, mid morning snack of orange segments and 1/2 bannana, lunch of pasta, courgette and oinions followed by fromage frais, another whole bannana and tea of salmon, mash and veg, plus tastings of liver and bacon off Daddys plate!
Infact when we came home and I got the salmon out she was standing at my feet pointing with her mouth wide open  ;D then cried untill it was ready!!!

We just gave no reaction, no treats and made sure that whenever we eat she sits with us and hopefully wanted to copy? It worked for us anyway  ;D

Have you tried rusk for brekkie - you can get low sugar ones? You could cook up the veg on a sunday and freeze it for the week along with mash and maybe try the inside of a fish finger (milk makes this a bit softer), a sausage? Or do half your cooked stuff and half jar and gradually reduce the amount of jar stuff? Have you tried putting anything on the toast - jam or marmite, I think Becca's Jack has bovril on his!!!!

Just some of the things that have worked for us and friends of mine.

Hope you sort it soon - I know how frustrating it can be  ;D
Love sarah x x x x

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Rach

Just to add my bit .... I wouldn't worry too much about what your HV says anout being integrated into family meals by now. Children develop at different rates and if she's not into finger food or lumpier food at the moment she will be in a month or so. I can sympathise as I've had problems with Hannah from time to time but she's not too bad at the moment.

I always used to give her weetabix mixed up with mashed banana for breakfast but then she went off that and now she usually has some dry cereal and sometimes toast with marmite or jam on. Raisins are a great favorite too.

I would agree with Sarah that maybe you mix your food in with the jars to try to wean her off them. I often make up 2 or 3 portions of the same meal and then freeze some so you could do that with the meat and veg. Hannah always has breakfast and lunch with us, but not her meal in the evening although we do try to eat before her bath and she sits at the table with us and usually has some of what we're eating.

Try not to worry too much - I'm sure things will improve gradually and as long as she's putting on weight it doesn't really matter that much.

Celia

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Hi Rach

I am just trying to get my 13 month old off of the jars.  She is adopted and her Foster Mum was still feeding her jar food and packet powdered cereal.  I've managed to get her to eat some sandwichs at tea time and then she has a yogurt with banana.  In the mornings I'm now alternating days of weetabix and her powdered cereal, but she is loving weetabix and ready brek which helps.  I sometimes do a combination of weetabix and rusk for her as an alternative.  She also shares half a slice of toast with her sister with either jam or marmite on
it.

For lunch, I've now started to buy a pack of diced carrot and swede from Tesco and cooking this together with some peas, then adding some herbs, gravy and some roast chicken from the deli and mashing it all together.  She loves it.  I've also tried her with spaghetti bolognaise by using the small soup pasta.  I'm currently making these in bulk and then putting them in freezer bags in portion sizes.  For puddings she is having rice pudding or still some crushed biscuit with some fruit puree.  Tesco also do cheddar mash which she has with some baked beans and diced chicken.  I'm still experimenting so I'll let you know any new things I try that work!!

Good luck
Karen x

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hiya,

Jessica likes eating apples as she can hold them herself. I used to take the skin off first but now she wants to cut through that herself. Bannans are weird in texture but great for encouraging them to feed themselves. She also likes avacado and quiche. She does like some junk foods like pizza and garlic bread but I only let her have them if we're eating out at Pizza Hut or something.

We are quite lucky that she will eat pretty much anything except eggs and mashed potato.

Maybe mix some fruits of different textures into her yogurts and fromage frais. Good luck whatever you decide.

Love Angexxxxxxxxxxx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts