Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

as most of you will know my DH had his ssr on 14/2/2008 and they told us no sperm


anyway the doctor called today and he told me that DH is making sperm but its immature.

Now here comes the blonde moment !!!

i thought that would be good, his making sperm, its just not forming properly

OMG im so confused

HHHHEEEELLPPPPP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,695 Posts
Keeley, sorry nobody has replied sooner, it's been fiarly busy and your post went a bit far down the page!

Why has your doctor suddenly called you 3 months after the ssr? If he was waiting for results from the lab these should have been back within a couple of weeks and you would normally discuss this at a follow up consultation, not over the telephone. Also, if your doctor tells you that he is making sperm but it's too immature they should offer advice for your next step ie. maybe some drugs that may improve sperm quality, healthier lifestyle, etc. Was it just your GP that called today? Have you discussed the full results with your consultant? Where did your DH have the ssr? Sorry for all the questions but I am amazed that you haven't been given any support or direction.

My DH has a zero count and on biopsy was determined as predominently Sertoli cell only which means he makes the base cell but it doesn't grow into sperm. However on a later ssr they did find a few sperm so it is possible but only you and your DH can decide if you want to try again somewhere else.

If you feel you don't want to put your DH through the op again, have you considered using donor sperm? It took me a few years to get my head round it (DH was cool from the start!) but I'm ok now. Obviously I will always feel saddened that we'll never have DH's biological child but hopefully one day we will have a child that we can both love and nuture.

Take care sweetie,
Lou xx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying.

The reason doctor ( the one who did dh operation)called was as we were due to go in on the 16th may to discuss the operation, its the 1st time hubbys felt up to it. but they canx the appointment on the 14th may after waiting 8 weeks.

anyway he called me and i asked him why dh went from one imotile sperm to 0 in the ssr , he told he that he never went to 0 there was plenty of sperm there it just wasn't viable for icsi or treatment.

I asked him if there was anything they  could do to mature it and he said no i asked if drugs would help he said no, its just the way it is.

it confused the hell out of me. I don't think i could put DH though the op again. maybe in a year or so if he is up for it we could try but it was an awfull time.

I don't think donor is an option for us but its still very early days x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,921 Posts
Hi keely,

  Very sorry that your DH's SSR failed  ^hugme^ I must say i would question this doctor! We have had various meetings with the nurses at our clinic and with the stories & help from everyone on this site we went with a bucket load of questions (which was a LOT)

This was one of the questions i asked and was told that if there is immature sperm found it still indicate some good news that there is some sperm there. She went on to say DP could have the op again once he had had a health kick so to speak. I.e stopped his ****, healthier diet lots of zinc etc. We have done all of these things but only for a short time (2 months) She suggested 6 months would be a good time to re-do it. Myself personally would not give up at the first hurdle, Whilst i understand how hard ot must be i would maybe give it a few months and try another clinic as i am shocked that 3 months later they call you and tell you this over the phone especially as you had thought there was 0 sperm already  ^bigbad^ . the nurse told us that because men sperm is always reproduced refreshed i guess that there would be every chance of finding sperm the 2nd time round. I am pleased to say that at the clinic we are at we will know there & then what is going on and whether sperm is found or not and whether it is any good. I will also be in the operation and have been told i have asked any questions i have there and then.

I have read any stories on this site from couples who have 0 sperm found in 1 procedure & some the next, So maybe all is not lost?


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Hi Keeley,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Thought I'de drop by and say that I'm in a very similar situation.  I've had a TESE and nothing found and diagnosed maturation arrest.  However, I proceeded to get the hospital to send a glass slide of my biopsy to Cornel and I got a second opinion in which I have been told I have between 45% to 50% successful chance of retrieving sperm. (see my other posts)

Also try to find out if any spermatids were found in the biopsy, as usually if some spermatids have been found then there is an increased chance that there will be some sperm somewhere in the testes.  It's just a matter of finding them!

If you do consider an ssr again, consider going down the mTESE route rather than random TESE.



 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top