Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies I'm currently under Jessops in Sheffield but after numerous problems and a lack of faith in the treatment and also the distance from Manchester  to Sheffield.I am looking at getting transferred to either st Mary's or Manchester fertility..I'm struggling to decide on the best choice and could do with some help through your own experiences...pros and cons etc

I very much appreciate your opinions

Thanks  :)

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Hello

I would chose MFS, St Mary's are good and I received good care there but the admin/appointments system is really stressful and you don't a get a choice on when you cycle you just have to ring and request each month and see if they can fit you in, so it's hard to make plans

I haven't cycled at MFS just Care and St Mary's but obviously MFS is a private clinic so things tend to run a little smoother, St Mary's do a free scratch (and poss glue or embryoscope im not sure) MFS will charge for those and also some ccgs block you from topping up an nhs cycle so look into that too as if you feel you might want those that might be a reason to go to SMH

L x

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi lilly83
Part of the reason I'm wanting to move from Sheffield is similar reasons really bad appointment system and lack of Dr's so I think St Mary's isn't going to be an option for us if that's the case. The less stress the better I think after recent bad luck.

I only found Manchester fertility by chance and have had a chat with them on the phone, actually considering going to one of the open evenings they do. What is care like I've only learnt about them through this site as I was unaware there were so many private clinics in Manchester  ???
I have no idea what a scratch is and glue / embryoscope its all new to me

The only thing my Dr has mentioned is if I have fluid in my left tube of womb then they will need to tie it off to give me the best chance at my IVF... I am so worried about making a mistake by leaving Sheffield and obviously I want to get the best treatment I can  ^pray^

E x

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Hi Funkia, we been to all 3 of these clinics, firstly we used MFS privately for 6 iui's and then our first ivf cycle, then we went to St Mary's through the NHS, we didn't cycle here, we then transferred our funding to Care in Manchester where we did our second and successful ivf cycle.
I wouldn't recommend St Mary's personally, everything seemed to take forever, you have no choice about when you cycle, it's basically when they can fit you in and nobody seemed to speak to each other or know what was happening. I'm sure it's not the same for everyone though, this is just my personal opinion.
If you can transfer your funding to either of the 2 private clinics I'd personally go for Care.
Not just because this is where we had our successful cycle but they seemed to be a lot more thorough, this could of been because we'd already had a unsuccessful cycle yes but I feel if a lot of these simple tests had been done originally then we may not of had that unsuccessful cycle.
Hope this helps a little.

Best of luck. X

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jam&Cream
It seems St Mary's aren't great from what's been said and what I've read...so I think I'm either going to stay under Jessops in Sheffield or move to care I have a few more weeks to make my mind up but your info and experience has definitely given me lots to think about :)

Ex

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey,  I moved from St mary's to the Hewitt centre Liverpool. I would strongly recommend you don't go to St mary's, I had a really bad time there. I hope you find the right hospital for you xx

·
Registered
406 Posts
Funkia, I can't help you with St. Mary's, but just wanted to recommend CARE too. They are excellent. I have just started my 2nd cycle there after I mc'ed in May (after our first cycle at CARE). They are all lovely and I was pleasantly surprised that they let me go again that shortly after our mc. We are NHS funded and even though our CCG doesn't allow "private top ups" for cycles CARE was fine with us paying privately for the embryoscope last time. I'd check with your CCG. Good luck in wherever you decide to go! xx

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi ladies, hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread, but I was just wondering how I'd go about transferring hospitals what route do you take where do I start? Do you need a reason to? Sorry for all the questions I just feel hugely stressed out under saint Mary's with the whole process it's never a smooth journey and I think their timing is hugely out  :'( especially when online reading how other hospitals do things it's almost complete opposites.... :'( xx

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Hello

Some CCGs give you a choice from the start so it shouldn't be a problem but others you need a reason, mine was needing donor eggs and St Mary's wrote to my GP for me suggesting he wrote to the CCG as St Mary's didn't have donors but care did, my GP then wrote to the CCG 'effective use of resources' dept with a transfer of funding request, they had a meeting to weigh up my reasons for moving and agreed, I know a lot get told no and it does help to have a specific reason for it, I know the waits at St Mary's are long and admin can be a nightmare but not sure of they would let you move for that but it's def worth trying

Good luck!

L x

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi - I've used MFC for each of my cycles and they have been fantastic - it's small, very friendly and very very  positive.  I've really felt like it's been a team effort each time, right from the first phone call.  I looked at changing to CARE after a few cycles, to try different treatment, but it was a completely different experience right from first contact and I decided to stay put.  Good luck wherever you choose, but I can't recommend MFC highly enough x

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Lilly thanks for replying to me....I didn't get a choice I don't think, well not that I can remember anyway....I'm half way through a cycle anyway so will stick at it. It was more cause I was with a friend of a friend over the wkd and she used to work at care and I just kinda opened up to her, only cause my hubby came over and said injection time (we was at a wedding and set an alarm on my phone) so she asked what for so that's why I opened up and it was her that said transfer it but I said I'm sure you need a valid reason and I don't really have one....lol!
Tbh with you saint Mary's has greatly improved with the appts especially this time around as I had a few month break they now have 2 scan rooms and 2 scan lists and the blood room now has 4 nurses in it instead of the 1 or 2. I'm back in tomorrow morning for a scan an bloods and my scan is at 7.30 which I'm so pleased with due to work :)
Thanks again xx

·
Registered
198 Posts
Reproductive Health at Daresbury, Warrington is worth looking at.  New, impressive and they do open evenings to meet the staff.
Mr Nardo is very good.
They have clinics in Manchester and Liverpool too, I think.  They offer a comprehensive range of services and I got a prompt appointment.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I moved my funding from St Mary's to Care with no reason other than I was sick of waiting and wanted to.
We didn't get a choice at the beginning and we'd been under St Mary's for at least 6 months when we moved our funding. I rang the CCG who confirmed they had a contract with them and then my doctor had to do a referral directly to Care, it was then Care who confirmed with the CCG that we had funding available to us.
It was all relatively easy once we knew what we had to do.
Definitely the best decision we made too. X

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ahh really jam and cream?! That's really good to know and will definitely bare that in mind I will stick at the cycle I'm doing right now but if I'm still unsuccessful with my final iui goes then il defo try and do my only ivf shot at care if I can move it and sounds like it was a very good move for you as I can see from your signature you're expecting....huge congratulations :) thankyou for replying and goodluck with your pregnancy  :) xx

And will also look at reproductive health group too Mandalay thankyou :) x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts