Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I tested positive earlier this year at Guys hospital for MTHFR 677 C-T (Heterozygous)  which i believe is not as serious as i have inherited this from one parent as opposed to both (thanks Dad!).
The doctor at that time prescibed a high dose folic acid for me to take 5mg and a vit B complex, i mentioned this to Dr Gorgy as am now a patient of his and he said not to worry i dont really need to take that high a dosage of folic acid??

It does become confusing when two doctors give you conflicting advice! I have now finished the 5mg of folic acid and will need to get more from the GP, does anyone know of a high folic acid supplement that i could take instead of going to the GP every month for folic acid. I have searched the internet and found that there are supplements from the US called Folgard.

Is there a UK alternative to Folgard?

Many thanks

Starfish xx

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
starfish: about half the uk population are mthfr hetero - 5mg folate probably is a good idea with the **** version but probably is overkill for hetero - dr B used to advise 2.5mg for hetero but that dose isn't normally sold in the uk - so i think 5mg or 400mcg (0.4mg) are the only doses that docs can easily advise. but recent studies have shown a v slight increased risk of some cancers with folic supplements so you probably wouldn't want to take more than needed. 5mg folic in the uk is only available on px, but you can of course take several 400mcg tablets (available cheaply everywhere) instead if you really want to.  i think many docs advise 400-800mcg per day for mthfr hetero for at least 3 months before ttc but you probably would want to stop this after your pg and try and get folate from your diet (eg green veggies) as that supposedly doesn't carry any additional cancer risk.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks agate

Actually if i am honest about it the 5mg would make my ears ring every so slightly maybe it was too much for my body. Good idea will add another 400mg tab extra as i will be cycling soon hopefully.

Many thanks xxx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.