Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I have had a difficult couple of days with my 2 week old baby  ^eyes^  I was breast feeding to begin with but because he lost too much weight at the start (was very sleepy during feeding) I had to start topping him up with formula before we were allowed home.  I was told he would need to continue getting top ups at home until my milk was established properly.  Anyway, I must admit I have found breast feeding MUCH harder than I thought possible and have struggled with it sinse getting home.  My milk supply has not increased and while I do breast feed a few times a day he always needs a bottle afterwards as he comes off even after and hours feed looking for more!  I have been formula feeding more and more and have really lost heart with breast feeding although I am feeling very guilty for it  :'(  The main problems that I am having at the moment though is that I don't seem to be particularly good at bottle feeding either  :'(  We have tommee tippee closer to nature bottles but I have found when he is drinking he often makes gasping whooping noises which just doesn't sound good, he also sometimes coughs during a feed.  I have tried him with a MAM  bottle that is also meant to be as close to breast feeding as possible and he makes the same noises.  The problems over the last few days have been that he has started to bring up quite a lot of his milk after a feed.  He has increased the size of his feeds for some feeds but even on the feeds where he just has around 40mls he can still bring loads of it back it.  He doesn't wind easily, I can often get one burp but feel that there is still more to come although it doesn't, he fusses and wriggles a lot while being winded.  I have tried winding him more often during a feed but it annoys him and he ends up guzzling his milk even faster.  We had such an unsettled day yesterday where all he wanted to do was eat even though it kept coming back up - we both had numerous changes of clothes and I really struggled as I just didn't know what to do for him.  His tummy did seem really windy and it was coming down the way although we had less dirty nappies yesterday than normal.  All the time he was looking for more food.  I am trying to keep him as upright as possible while feeding and for  a while after feeding although it is often on the changing mat that he will bring more up - it can even be a while after a feed when it comes up.  I am feeling so rubbish and guilty at the moment as I don't seem to be able to feed my son very well at all either with breast or bottle and spent most of yesterday crying while he struggled and fussed.  I don't have any family members who can offer any advice or support with this and I am feeling very lost and a failure as a mum  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Matty

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hi Matty

How are you??

So sorry for not replying earlier  :-[

You aren't a failure hun..you want to do whats best for your baby and because he is crying then you feel that you aren't. But I bet you are taking care of him and forgetting yourself..... :-*

Please let me know how things are. I really am sorry for not getting in touch with you before

Jxxxxxx

1 - 2 of 2 Posts