Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

We're having a few problems with Kitty's sleep and we are exhausted. She has been in with us up until last week (sh'e 13 months now.....we're slow decorators ;)) and i guess we've made our own problems. She wakes up a lot in the middle of the night and is wide awake for 2/3 hours, last night she woke at 1.30 and went back off at 4.00 but only when we brought her in with us.....i know we shouldn't but DH was getting stressed and i was just desperate to sleep. Sometimes DH has taken her downstairs when she's awake and sat with her until she goes off again and i realise that this is the reason that she's probably waking....habit and knowing that she gets to be with us.

She doesn't seem to be in pain just wide awake!! Any ideas how to break the habit?

Thanks, Lizzy xxx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Lizzy

Sorry that you are having problems after a while the sleepless nights really get you down don't they (definately speaking from experience!!)

We moved Hannah into her own room when she was about 9 months old but she didn't stay there very long - every night she ended up in bed with me and DH decamped to the spare room - nightmare. She also woke several times during the evening and when she was in bed with me she woke everytime I so much as moved - it got that I dreaded the evenings and noghts. We never managed to have any time to ourselves in the evening and I spent every night perched on the edge of the bed, which is a kingsize so you would have thought there was room for both of us, frightened to move in case Hannah woke up and frightened to go to sleep in case she fell out  :( So I decided that we really had to do something.

We went for the controlled crying and I was absolutely dreading it and felt that I was being cruel etc etc but weighed it up with fellling like a  ^zombie^ all the time something had to change. In actual fact it wasn't too bad, 1st night was the worst and she cried for 40 minutes but only woke up twice in the night and I left her in her cot to go back to sleep. She cried for 10 minutes each time. After that it just got better and better. The crying stopped after about 5 or 6 days. Now she waves me goodbye as I leave the room.

Having said all that its not perfect all the time and I get in a right tizz sometimes worrying whether she is ill hungry or whatever and whether I should leave her or pick her up in the night on the rare occasions that she does wake up.

I know this approach isn't for everyone but it really made things better for us. Still feel like a cruel mom for writing about it though.

Does she sleep a lot in the day as she is so awake at  night ???

Sorry I probably haven't been much help but just wanted to let you know that you aren't on your own with bad nights !!

Love

Rachel   

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rachel....thanks hun, it's really hard work in the middle of the night!

Kitty doesn't sleep too much during the day, maybe 1-2 hours......no idea where she gets her energy from!! Last night was the same, i was so zonked i didn't wake up but DH was up from 1-3 and came back into our bedroom really upset and exhausted. I took over and ended up sleeping on the floor in her room and she finally went off about 4 but curled up with me.

Don't feel bad about doing the controlled crying.....i'm an absolute believer in doing whatever is right for you and feeling crap all the time is no good. Really pleased its worked so well for you.....got to be honest i'm not really sure how it works but wil definately try it if things don't get better soon.

Actually i have the feeling this morning that it's teeth making it worse at the mo.

Hope Hannah keeps sleeping through for you,

Much love, Lizzy xxx

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
hi all
    we have had problems with MIA since we brought her home from hospital she is now 12 weeks old and still wont sleep in her cot ore moses basket when she goes to sleep i put her in the cot very slowly and hope she doesn't notice  ;D maybe one hour at the most she will be asleep for then she starts playing up i will give her a feed and then put her back in and as soon as i get in to bed shes awake again i then put her in to my bed and she sleeps all night through i have tried to get her out of this but haven't sucseeded  yet  its a good job DP works nights or it would of been him and MIA in the bed and me on the floor :eek:
                      baby wisper

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi Kitty

I don;t think there's any easy answers to this but I just wanted to say don;t beat yourself up about it because I honestly think that some babies / children just do not sleep very well whatever you do.

There are other approaches other than the strict controlled crying - there are pick up / put down and so on.

You could get some books form the library and have a look at the different ideas and see what you think might work.

Toby isn;t a great sleeper - he's not the worst, but the number of nights he has "gone through" properly are about 9 so far, in 11 months.  Mainly I think tho he wakes for hunger / comfort - he does not stay awake, which I agree must be crippling.

Recently he got a lot better but he has been poorly this week and last night I was up 4 times to him.

Let us know how you get on  ;)

Vicky x

·
Registered
655 Posts
Sorry Lizzy

Spot the deliberate mistake!  Can you tell I'm sleep deprived today?!

And I'm sorry maybe that post sounded a bit negative, I didn;t mean that because some children don;t sleep as well as others, that there is nothing you can do to help improve their sleep habits.

What I meant really was that most of the people I know who have a "good" sleeper (my sister,  my cousin, two of my best friends) didn;t actually do anything in particular to encourage their good sleeping habits - or not any different to any other parents.

OK some people, especially maybe on their second baby, do set more of a routine earlier on, etc, but other than that, I think most babies either do it or they don;t...and the don;t's might need to be helped a bit...

Now i'm really waffling!

Perhaps I'd better try & have a nap while Toby is napping too.

Thank goodness!

love Vicky x

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vicky....i was wondering if i should get Kitty to come and read it ;D

Hope you are getting a bit more sleep too......it's exhausting eh! I was talking to a friend at the weekend whose little boy wakes up at 4am a lot and she was saying she had thought that once babies start to sleep through then that was it, they'd sleep through all the time. I thought that too!!!!

I'm hoping it's a tooth thing and she'll go through again soon.....i'm useless when i don;t get enough sleep and DH is getting really tired too. Don't really have anyone that can take her for a night so we could catch up a bit.

Anyway i hope Toby's feeling much better now and you get some better nights soon,

Much love, Lizzy xxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.