Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Hope I am in the right place  :)

DH has said that donating  ^sperm^ is something he would like to look into doing  ???

We have seen someone asking for a donor and we have sent them (an organisation) an email. 

Just a few questions though !!

What do these new regulations they have bought in mean if his ^sperm^ becomes a  ^babycrawl^ ?

What medical conditions mean he might not be able to donate ?

Does he have to be "matched" with someone who looks like him?

Also should he get expenses for traveling to the clinic ?

All probably silly questions but he would like to help and needs the info !!

Thanx all

Tashja xx

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Tony

Will let him have a read tonight !!

And here's me thinking it just invoved a pot, a magazine and a quiet room  ;D  ^evil^

I feel an article coming on .......  ::)

Tashja xx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Tashja

Not sure if the info on that link Tony has helpfully provided, has been updated since the change in the law.  Just scanned it quickly and it said something about under the current law the donor's identity would not be disclosed, obviously this is not the case anymore. 

Under the new law, if your husband becomes a sperm donor (a very admirable thing to do I might add  :) ), then at the age of 18 any child conceived from his donation would be entitled to find his information and contact him.  It does not work the other way around.  However, of course, it's likely that any resulting children would never know they were donor conceived if their parents choose not to tell them, and even if they do know, they may not choose to look for their donor anyway.  But there is a chance you will get a knock on your door in 18 years time, and it's important to consider all of this. 

I don't think a donor necessarily has to think of the welfare of a child that may be conceived from their donation - that's the job of the parents, but I do think they have to think responsibly about how they would handle the situation in the future if any offspring did wish to contact them. 

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. 

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
I'm sure it does  ;D  As I said at the begining, I only scanned the link quickly as don't have time to read it properly now, so thought I'd just add the info in case  :)

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi Jayne

Thanx for that Hun.  Bit freaky that in 18 years time there might be a knock at the door !!!

Though as a surrogate I think we have already prepared ourselves for most knocks on the door in the future !!  :eek:

I have mentioned this to him and he still seems willing.  Just hope its another dream we can help come true.

Could someone tell us how the matching process works please ?  Also just for interest is advertising for a ^sperm^ donor the same as egg donor or is it illegal like surrogacy ???

Thank you all so much !!

Tashja xx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Yeah, that's true Tashja, I'm sure it is something you've both considered anyway in great depth - that potential 'knock on the door'. 

Ummmm, not too sure how the matching works now.  For us, we were fortunate in looking for a donor during a time when there wasn't a shortage and managed to match up dh's eye colour, hair colour, height, build, blood group, skin tone and just about anything else you can imagine.  It's a bit different now though with the shortage and I think they just try and match as best they can.  Not entirely sure how the whole process works though these days as I've not been involved in that side of it for a while now.  Am sure someone else currently having treatment will be able to tell you. 

I believe that advertising for sperm or egg donors comes under exactly the same law.  Could be wrong though, and am sure someone will correct me if I am  :)

Fantastic thing you do Tashja, helping so many others, and it's lovely to hear it's now going to become even more of a team effort (although I'm sure it already is  ;) ).

Love

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello

Me again !!!  :-[

I know I am being a Grade A pain in the  ^shake^ now but we want to get things right before Paul makes a final decision !!

Will he be told if his ^sperm^ results in a baby or will this be confidential ???

Tashja xx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
You're not being a pain in the rear  ;D

Confidential :)

Jayne x

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just to add as an egg-share donor i presume all the tests will be the same for sperm donors i.e hiv, cf etc. Also I was given a choice of who I could donate to, ie. I could choose if i wanted to exclude people for example single people, gay couples, people over a certain age. I didnt know this before i went through the process. Hope this helps xx

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello

I have more info now !!!

The couple that are asking for help are a lesbien couple who want the sperm to do home inseminations.  Sorry to be so thick but is this legal or are there any problems doing it this way or is it better to go through a clinic ??  ??? DH doesn't have a problem with this.

Thanx

Tashja xx

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Tashja

I'm no expert on this, but as I understand it if donor sperm is used for home inseminations the legal implications are different and you would need to draw up an agreement, relinquishing your DH of all parental responsibilities etc, whereas when the insemination is done through a fertility clinic this is automatic.

Wolla

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Yep, like Wolla says, if your dh just donates his sperm then he could be liable for parental responsibility unless you draw up proper legal documentation first. 

Personally I'd say always use a clinic as it protects all parties involved.  Plus the sperm is washed and all seminal fluid, dead sperm, cells etc. removed before the healthy swimmers are put into a pink nutrifying solution and then used for insemination/IUI.  Of course going through a clinic your dh would need all the relevant tests for HIV, genetic disease, etc. etc. but to me that makes perfect sense. 

As a woman needing a donor, I could never imagine not having a donation from someone who hadn't had the screening tests done first. 

Also, if your dh is going to donate to a couple outside of the clinic, is he still going to do it ultruistically? ie. not for payment.  Clinics will only pay around £25 per donation, so anything more than this would be unreasonable in my eyes for sperm donation. 

I think anything that is not done via clinics/professionals is just dodgy.  Particularly since the change in the law where donors are now in short supply, and people are willing to take chances. 

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx Guys

That has answered all the questions we had.  Will get him to look in to the clinic side of things.

Tashja xx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts