Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is safe, or not, to drink herbal teas during early pregnancy?
I gave up caffeine months ago when ttc and have been drinking Rooibos vanilla and chai teas. In the past few days my tastebuds have gone loopy and I can't stomach them any more (they seem to leave a boiled egg after taste).
Today I bought some Twinings herbal infusions, had 3 cups and loved them. problem solved, I thought. Then, being neurotic about miscarrying or anything going wrong, I did an internet search and found conflicting information. Some sites said they were great for m/s, others said that elements of them (hibiscus, raspberry leaf, amongst others) are dangerous in early pregnancy. I don't know what to drink now! Is it likely that I could have done any damage by drinking 3 cups, or would I have to have drunk 10 cups a day for months to be at risk?

Can anyone recommend anything hot that I can drink safely? It'll be boilng water at this rate. I don't drink milk, so things like cocoa and ovaltine are a non-started, I'm afraid.

Sorry to sound so neurotic, but it has taken so many years to get to this stage that I can't take any risks!

Emma  :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hi Emma, first of all congratulations on your BFP. I'm sure I read somewhere that you shouldn't drink tea with hibiscus in it. You wouldn't have done any damage by drinking 3 cups as they say you could even drink up to 4 or 5 cups of normal coffee with caffeine before any risk. I've just changed to decaff tea and coffee and stopped drinking fizzy juice as well. I don't know what other herbal teas would be ok but maybe you could ask at a health food store as they should have all the info you need. Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Viv xx

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Hi Emma,

You do need to be careful. I've been drinking Clipper Organic Decaff and Twinnings Lemon and Ginger (also great for an upset stomach).

Have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

lol

Edna

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Yep - I've heard similar to others.
No to raspberry leaf in early pregnancy (but great in last few weeks - helps contractions be more effective apparently and I was told no to echinacea in teas too as it can cause m/c apparently - I'd been drinking raspberry and echinacea prior to tx but stopped.

I've been drinking decaff tea and don't mind it at all, I'm not a coffee drinker so avoided that issue - though decaff coffee is supposed to taste okay.

Hot drinks - I went through a hot ribena with a smidgen of honey in it - really nice but made me feel like I should have a cold!

Hope that helps.

COngrats on the  ^BFP^

Poll
^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your words of wisdom. I went back to Rooibos vanilla today, but didn't really enjoy it. The Ribena idea is great, Poll. I might brave the lemon and ginger, although I'm not a ginger fan at the best of times.

My kitchen cupboards are heaving with packets of stuff I can't/won't drink anymore.  ::)

Emma, xxxxxxx

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Emma,

I used to drink loads of tea - normal, earl grey, fruit etc.  I switched to decaff when found I was pg but then a week later could not stand the taste of any tea at all.  I still can only bear one cup of tea first thing in the morning.  I'm drinking lots of fizzy water/fresh juice combos, and also hot ribena when I need to warm up, though sometimes it gets a bit sweet and claggy.  I'm struggling to come up with any other ideas myself so will keep an eye open here in case anyone else comes up with a good idea.  A hot toddy would go down a treat though!!!  ^drink^

Sandy
x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.