Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it bad to take selenium tablets whilst ttc?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hi Eva
as far as I'm aware, selenium is good to take while ttc, as its helps implantation of the embryo, amongst other things.
Good luck.
LOL
Lisa x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi there

Selenium helps build up a healthy endometrium which can only be a good thing when ttc.

Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi there - I've been trying to find out about selenium partly due to the pineapple juice thread on here. Aparently pineapple juice and brazil nuts are high in selenium and so good for implantation. I've looked at quite alot of websites and to be honest found it quite confusing and conflicting information. I'll keep looking and pass you any links if I find them.

Mairi x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi again

I've got the book "Natural Solutions to Infertility - how to increase your chances of conceiving & preventing miscarriage" by Marilyn Glenville.

In the book she has a whole chapter on taking nutritional supplements....she says about selenium (in summary - there's a whole page so won't type all out !)

Selenium is a mineral & as an antioxidant it protects you against free radicals (chemicals). Antioxidants are essential in your diet because they can disarm these harmful free radicals. With its protective effect, selenium can prevent chromosome breakage, which is known to be a cause of birth defects & miscarriages.

Good levels of selenium are essential to maximise sperm formation & are also needed for optimum testosterone production.

She suggests following quantities:
Woman: 100mcg a day
Man: 100mcg a day

Selenium can be found:
Tuna, sesame seeds, shellfish (not sure about this when pg though should be ok whilst ttc ??? ), advocados & wholegrains

She also discusses selenium deficiency:
"Selenium is a powerful antioxidant which may help prevent DNA damage. Researchers have found that those women who miscarry have low levels of selenium in their blood compared to women who don't miscarry"

With regards to pineapple (as per the other thread), there is NO scientific research to say that it is bad for you during pregnancy & I personally know several women who ate/drank pineapple all through conception/pregnancy & it had no adverse effects....it's the same with most things - moderation :)

Hope that helps...
Take care
Natasha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.