Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to this board and already can feel the love an warmth you all give to eachother on here.

I am not yet ready to begin trying to have a baby but i am trying to establish what option I do have.

My partner has  had a Vasectomy (19 years old now - he is older than me) and as far as I am aware, I have no fertility problems (fingers crossed).

What are the options for us and is it likely we will be able to conceive?

Having children is so important to me (as I know u all understand) and I just want to find out where I stand.

Many thanks and best wishes to u all,

Em xxx

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Hi Em,

DOnt give up hope at all.. there are still a few options left to you!! My dh is 22 years older than me and already has 2 grown up boys he had a vasectomy 15 years ago as he and his wife at the time decided that this was for the best.

his wife actually died and to cut a very long story short we got together and married have been now for 5 years we decided to enquire about the options available to us, reversal was not in the equasion as it had been such a severe vasectomy and so long ago howevery ICSI was possible and well thats what we did.. results are below I am now 11 weeks pregnant and loving it, I wish you all the luck on whatever you decide.

Sorry for waffeling!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi Em

Basically your options are trying a vasectomy reversal; ICSI (when DH sperm is retrived from his bits using a fine needle - under anaesthetic of course!, and then used to fertilise your eggs by IVF); or using donor sperm for IUI.

Your boyfriend should probably ask his GP for a refferral to a urologist to discuss the options.

My DH had a reversal but sadly this didn;t work for us, as he had a very high level of sperm antibodies which basically killed off his sperm as it was made (this is what can happen when you have a vasectomy).

So we went the ICSI route.

Wishing you loads of luck for the future

Vicky x

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to you both - You both have positive outcomes so i feel like we have a chance  :)

tinks - My boyfriend (sorry what is DH?) is a lot older than me too, 27 years and he has 6 grown up children by his ex-wife (i know .. way too many, this is why he had the vas .. someting to do with his wife kept forgetting to take her pill!). Sadly his ex-wife died as well, although they had already split by that point.

I just want to say a massive congrats to you .. I have my fingers crossed for you that things go smoothly for you, your dh and your baby (babies!).

Vicky - Thank you so much for your clear advise .. all of the different routes seem very confusing so I really appreciate you telling me the main steps to take. Little Toby is such a cutie!

Thanks,

Em x

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hi Em

My situation is very similar.

DP was going to have reversal then decided against it, as the consultant told us that the chances of success were very slim as he had had it done over 10 years ago.

After much soul searching we decided on donor insemination. We were successful on our 3rd attempt, Katelyn is now nearly 15 months old and is wonderful!!

DP has 3 children from previous marriage, all teenagers now! They all love Katelyn as if she was part of them.

Good luck!!!

Love Jules xxxxxxx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your reply ... yet another positive story ... I feel I have options now. I really thought i had a slim chance of ever having a baby!

I had never really considered using donor insemination .. I guess I don't know enough about it. Katelyn is a beautiful little girl and I am so pleased for you that things have worked out for u.

;D I am so happy!

Em

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
So glad that I have helped you to feel so positive!!!!!!

Wishing you all the luck in the world xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All,

Well I seem to be getting increasingly broody (pos because my sis has had a baby!) and I feel I need to start planning the route to take, saving up etc. We prob wont start trying for a year or so but I am trying to familiarise myself in all this so we can make the most informed choices possible.

I'm not sure whether we will go the reversal route or not bother and go straight to ICSI (his vasectomy will be about 20 years old). Any advice?

Also, we need to start saving as i presume because he has 6 kids already by his ex-wife we wont qualify for help through the NHS. Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much this could cost? I literally have no idea.

Are there any good places that people can recommend, both vas reversal and icsi? We are in the wiltshire area but would def be willing to travel if necessary.

Any advice that you guys wish you'd known before you set out on this journey would be really helpful.

Thanks all and good luck to everyone

Em x

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hello

Well, I hope I can also put a more positive slant on things.  My DH also had a vasectomy.  He had it reversed after 5 years and it still didn't work.  I would say the chances of success after 19 years are very slim.  I think it really depends on how your partner feels about it and how much he is willing to put his body through.  My DH has had 3 ops - the vasectomy, the reversal and then the surgery to extract semen directly from the testicles.  I think with hindsight we would have just skipped the reversal and thus eliminated one surgical procedure.

You are right about NHS funding - as far as I am aware you don't normally qualify if a party has been sterilised in the past (or in some cases already has children).  I think costs vary from clinic to clinic, but for me the total cost of ICSI (including drugs was £2600).  If you are lucky enough to have some embryos to freeze you can expect to pay another £400 for that.

In terms of picking a clinic write down a list of things that you consider to be important to you i.e location, success rates, how successful are they in terms of your age range, cost, ethos etc.  The majority of clinics (mine included) have a very standard approach which they apply to every patient - however, some clinics (ARGC in London for example) try and tailor a programme to suit you.  Bear in mind that if you have no known fertility problems then the standard approach may do the trick just fine and will almost certainly be cheaper!

Good luck!

Angela xx

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi,

Just wanted to say a co-worker of mine whose 38 has just fount out she's pregnant and her partner has had a vasectomy years ago(and it is his)!!So you never know would look into chances of reversal operation though.Anyway good luck and I hope everything works out for you both.

All my love Clare xxx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks both of you - it's really a tricky situ as we dont have much cash so would prob not want to do vas rev if it's not going to be likely to work ... hard to know tho!

In the mean time, we better get saving!

Cheers,

Em xxx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts