Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Having recently found this website, I have been scouring it for information and it is all very very helpful and has galvanized me into action, as I realise that while I have been feeling so depressed I could have been finding out a lot more about my options having not even considered that the NHS might have long long waiting lists.

Have been trying for 2.5 years, have had all the tests and both me and hubbie are apparently in working order. Advice from hospital is that we should come back when three years are up and they would recommend IUI, (however presumably that means we will only get put on the waiting list then).

Due to having been very stressed with work for several years, I went to a  nutritionist who really sorted me out and have been on an ultra healthy diet for a year (ironically never get ill, when everyone around me is sneezing and wheezing but cannot get pregnant!!) have got fitter and have recently given up my horrendous stressful job and got a calmer one. Feeling that I had made as many life changes as I could have spent last two months getting very depressed. However having read all your positive words I am going to stop feeling sorry for myself and start finding out what I can do next.

I am going to speak to my doctor again next week, however I have a couple of questions. What have your experiences been with NHS waiting lists for IUI, and for those out there with unexplained infertility, did you wait the three years before starting treatment or pursue private treatment and if you did this did this stop you being entitled to NHS treatment?

Thanks and good luck to you all
Amal

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Just wanted to welcome you to ff.
Sorry to hear of your troubles conceiving, you seem to have put a lot of effort into lifestyle changes so far and im sure that will help you towards getting your dream.
im afraid i cant answer your questions but im sure lots of others will.
Id say just pester the nhs now, ask them what good waiting will do when u think its obvious u have a problem! maybe you can be put on the waiting list now and hopefully you will have fallen pg by the time your turn has come!

Good luck on your journey, hope its a short one. xXx

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Amal,

DH and I are also unexplained and with NHS. At the minute still investigating, but we have been told that if they still haven't found anything clomid will be prescribed. I'm guessing from that there won't be any/much delay before going on appropriate waiting list (provided still no luck, obviously!).

I do know that there is quite a wide variation in how different PCTs approach tx.

Wishing you loads of luck,

Kat x  :)

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Hi Amal

If I had known 5 years ago what I know now I may have been a mother by now. My own personal view is that it is worth getting on with private tx if you can afford it.

I didn't even realise private fertility tx existed (naive or what!!) so I waited 2 years to get referred to local hospital and then spent 18 months or so back and forth to the hospital for tests and 6 months of clomid before even getting on to IVF waiting list. I know I am very lucky to have had one free go but we have still had to remortgage our house to pay for future tx and in some ways I wish I had gone private 2 or 3 years ago and not wasted time on clomid and waiting around for the free go.

It might be worth you having a private consultation (about £150) at a reputable private clinic just to see what they suggest - at least then you can make an informed choice.

Well done for your change in lifestyle. Even if it doesn't lead to a natural pregancy it will really help with your general health and the stamina your body will need for any future tx.

Good luck to you

Nicky x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

Thanks all of you for your words of support and advice, it is so hard to know what direction to go in especially when supposedly there is nothing wrong, they didn't really push the idea of Clomid as the tests said I was already ovulating and I was not keen on taking drugs at that point as I thought other things in my life might be preventing me getting pregnant - but now I have resolved these things I have to rethink . Perhaps I should get a second opinion with a private clinic? I will see what I find out this week about waiting lists.
Thinking of you all and wishing you luck....
AmalX

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi, thought I would let you know that I am suffering from unexplained as well.  Waited for a year before seeing Dr, then referred to NHS hospital, has taken a further year to have three NHS attempts at IUI.  Sadly none are sucessful.  Now considering Ivf, but will have to go private as I don't qualify for an NHS go.  So would recommend that you get started as soon as possible.  There were many delays during my treatment, and trying to get an appointment to see consultant took ages. 

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi amal,
i am also unexplained, my husband and i have being trying to conceave for 7 looonnnnngggg years. there has been lots of waiting for appointments and procedures but now finally at last we are recieving IUI.It is on the NHS so i am very lucky in that respect as i am now aware that this does not happen in all areas. but i have had a big wait! dr's and nurses have been fab mind!
good luck in your venture!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi Amal,
I'd recommend that you push to be referred to the NHS consultant. You've been trying for longer than a year with no obvious problems? then i'd be saying 'I want to be referred to a gyn please' accept no ooh lets wait. they should have done this already. It may take 6+ months for an appt to come through so push.
Good luck
Frisky

·
Registered
59 Posts
Amal,

I waited for 18 months to get initial NHS appointment with consutant, and am now waiting 23 months for lap and dye test (tube test to see if tubes are clear).  in the meantime i paid £80 for a private consultant who has started me on 6 months of clomid.  My day 21 level was 28, under the 30 threshold - so it looks like i may not be ovulating.  DH tests all OK. 

I also had very stressful job so went part-time - so less shopping money but much less stressful life.  Well done on all your lifestyle changes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello

I had no idea that there could be so much variation between NHS hospitals. It sounds as if I had all my initial tests etc done quite quickly compared to some of you (haven't had any tests for a year now).  My doctor says that IUI is carried out at my local hospital , so hopefully not too long a wait, apparently it is only recently that my local NHS is considering funding people for a course of IVF. Anyway she has put me in contact with a counselor at the hospital who will be able to give me the info I need on options on the NHS including timescales, at least then I can see whether I wait or go private. I think it is time to be a little bit more pushy, however it is hard when you are feeling so down about it and cry every time you have to talk about it! Reading everyone else's experiences makes me feel stronger though and much more equipped to ask the right questions.
Thanks
Amal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.