Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

where to start?! I'm jo, new to the FF website but have googled a few forums before now.
Main reason for joining was that while I have great friends and family, we've decided not to tell people just yet we're going for the 2nd round - first one was more heartbreaking than I thought it would be and need to be talking to people who are going through similar  :)

So I've just started my daily injections for our second round of ICSI after being back from our honeymoon only 3 weeks ago so feeling good and actually excited with a little box somewhere filled with nerves praying it works this time. We need ICSI because my DH (learnt this abbreviation v quickly!) has a low sperm count. He is HIV+ so we cannot try naturally and he had chemo several years ago which really knocked the sperm out of him so to speak! Anyway, feel very lucky that he even has anything left down there and have been told we are no different to anyone else with male factor problem.
Got 12 eggs last time, 6 fertilised, if I remember right it was a day 3 transfer but it didn't stick  :(

I believe I wasnt really ready last time - I think even without all this treatment as much as you want a child it does scare a part of you, you know motherhood and all, so feel like we get hit doubly with the worry of it working or not. Also was 1 stone heavier and in a job I hated so I feel like I've improved alot since last July! ;D
Just need some help relaxing as am a bit of a stress head and also some advice on implantation/progesterone pessaries vs injections so will have a search about.  If anyone can help that would be great.
Nice to meet you! :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi Jo,
I am also going thru my second ICSI. I know what you are talking about when you say the first TX was so heartbreaking. I also decided to confide in fewer people this time around. As for the progesterone support I have asked the some question to our embryologist and will try to quote his answer here.
He said they are finding vaginal gels more effective as reproductive systems is more sensitive towards progesterone as opposed to intermuscular injections. So he advised us to stick with Crinone Gel. I guess pessaries should be the same category though I am not sure "where" you put them makes a big difference or not. Crinone Gel gels is administered via the "usual" way  ;D Hope this helps and good luck with the 2nd try.
Love Q

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Jo,

We are also doing ICSI, and have started my injections of Procrin / Lupron tonight for up to 12 days.  I also have to take puregon tomorrow day 2 3 & 4.  Im in Spain and been told that I will be given pessaries for after egg collection....which for me will be in the next week some time.

I did tell a few people that we maybe going for ICSI, then regretted it, so try and avoid the conversation.  Decided to keep it to ourselves except for one friend who has been through it.  Its going to be touch if its a BFN but got to try.

Good luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
hi
good luck to you both! i am due to start treatment soon and have thought long and hard about telling people and have decided apart from one friend who lives abroad i wont tell anyone.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all

thanks so much for messages, its really nice to start talking to people who are going through the same thing - sometimes I walk down the high street and wonder if anyone else is going trhough it, thing is you dont walk around with a sandwich board but Im sure you know what I mean.
Quelle - thanks for that advice about the progesterone support with the gel  :)

Yes I think not telling anyone is right for us this time, that includes parents until we get to the end stages and 2ww as naturally I think they all want one just as much as we do! So it just doubles the pressure.

Anyway, positive baby thoughts  - I keep imagining he/she is here with me now - that's keeping me upbeat.
Best of luck and keep in touch along the cycle

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

I have started my 3rd round of ICSI today. I got pregnant the first time with my beautiful daughter Amelia after a very touch and go cycle, I had one fertilised egg and got pregnant. I have low AMH so only had 3 eggs both cycles. Unfortunately the last cycle I didn't get pregnant, but are very grateful for my daughter.

I have gone to a new clinic this time and I am doing the flare technique which I haven't done before I have just started my norethisterone pills today. It's good to have started the treatment and I hoping I don't get too emotional with the progestrone  :)

I wish you all lots of luck and lets hope we all get BFP!!

Clare

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Clare,

wow I love reading when someone has had ICSI and its worked!!

Hope this time goes well for you, not heard of the flare technique? Sounds interesting!

Wishing you all the luck in the world

xxxxxx :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes lovely to hear good news!

I just did my second day on injections...2 today.

Hubby thinks I'm the bees knees... He can't believe I'm injecting myself!!!

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
WELCOME TO FF

Wanted to say Hello and welcome you to FF, my role here of FF as a volunteer is to make sure you find your way as easy as possible, hopefully this message will do that :) Am so glad that you have found us, hopefully you will meet like minded people that will help and support you through what can be a very hard stressful journey. There are many members here on FF with a true understanding of what you are going through at all stages that infertility throws at you :( FF has brought so many people together and helps form many new friendships that may last many years, I certainly have and my life is richer for it. It's hard when family and friends don't fully comprehend what the IF journey entails and the emotions that go with it, That's where FF comes in to play.
I hope that you will find the links i have left you helpful and direct you where you need to be until you find your feet, which won't be long i can assure you. If there is anything that you still need to find give me or any MOD a shout and we will be happy to help you :)
Links to follow..........................................

What Every New Member Needs to Know
CLICK HERE

Fertility Guides
CLICK
HERE

Starting out & Diagnosis ~ CLICK HERE

Investigations & Immunology ~ CLICK HERE

Peer Support
CLICK HERE

While undergoing treatment, you might find it useful to join other ladies having treatment at the same time.
The Cycle Buddies threads are just for that.
Just pop along to the appropriate month and say "Hi" when you are ready to start treatment

Cycle buddies
CLICK HERE

Girl & Boy talk - Community & Fun Board
CLICK HERE

Its not all just serious stuff here, you can also have a bit of fun or just gossip while you are on FF too so check out the general chit chat / jokes / hobbies area:
You can also chat live in our chat room. We have a newbie day in the chat room every Wednesday where you can meet one of our mods for support, meet other new members and get technical support with navigating the site and using all the functions available here.
CLICK HERE FOR INFO ON NEWBIE CHAT

You can also "meet" and chat with people in your local area through the Location boards. This is especially useful to find people who may be using the same clinic and or in the same PCT area.

Wishing you lots of luck ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ and ^fairydust^
Keep in touch
Lou

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

Hope your all doing well. On third day of pills and feeling great so far  :) I hope I don't jinx myself and feel terrible tomorrow. It is quite a change taking pills than injecting bruselin for the first few weeks and so far so good.

I am so busy at the moment with work, moving house in two weeks and helping my Mum move house next week, I haven't much time to think about the treatment which I think is good.

I haven't told that many people, just family, close friends and work colleagues (I suppose that sounds quite a lot). I have told the people that I need support from over the next few weeks and who will bear with me if I am not quite myself. I have always been really open about doing IVF as I think it is really good to talk about it. But however understanding people are they can't imagine what it's like unless they have been through it, that's why it is good to have this message board.

Hope that your all doing well.

Clare
xx

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Clare

Glad you're treatment is going well. What pills are you on? Am finding reading about all the different protocols a bit mad - nasal sprays etc, I guess Ive only been reading about ICSI and so its interesting to hear.

Wow you've got a lot on but like you say it wil keep your mind off things! Hope the move (s) go well and let me know how u get on  :)

xxx

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi Ladies,

Good to hear positive news and I am so glad all of you are doing fine! You are right jonut, there are so many "techniques" and "drugs" when it comes to IF! It differs from country to country and clinic to clinic  ^idiot^

Best of luck and keep in touch!
Love Q

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey,

Hope you all well. I am still feeling pretty good so far, I am feeling quite tired though but they might just be because I have had a busy day. This cycle is very different to my first two which I did through an NHS hospital. My DH has low motility and it wasn't until I didn't respond well to the drugs on the first cycle that it was obvious my AMH was low. Both my previous cycles I injected Burselin for 3 weeks and then started the stimulating drugs. I had to really increase the doses of each drug to get my body to respond and after each cycle I had 3 eggs. During my first cycle I was told that they would probably have to cancel it as I didn't have enough eggs, luckily a few came through, one very special one producing my daughter Amelia  :) but it was such a terrible day when they said that, I came away from the hospital feeling totally devastated.

I did my last cycle at the end of last year and after doing it I was frustrated that I had to down regulate for so long when I have low AMH, but that is the only procedure that hospital does. So I am trying a new hospital who evaluated my situation and I am doing the 'flare technique' which means I take norethisterone (progestrone) pills twice a day for two weeks, have a bleed so stop drugs for a few days then take Bureslin for a few days as aparantly it does stimulate you at first then start gonelf for 5 days. So it is a much shorter treatment as I injected for 5 weeks in the last cycle which I found pretty tough. Not sure what the outcome will be but thought I would try something different and so far it doesn't seem to be as hard going. Sorry to waffle on but thought I would try and explain how my cycle is going to work. Just praying I get some folicles  ^pray^

How are your procedures going, what way are you doing it?

Clare
xx

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hey Clare,
Your previous TX sounds like Long Protocol, which is what I am doing right now. However, here in Turkey there are many clinics who will opt for a Short Protocol for slow responders. Flare is a variation of Short Protocol, I think  ???
I am day 2 of stimms. My left ovary is the lazy one, I even started to get some aches on the right side... Maybe I am imagining things, as I am not sure if it is normal to get aches and pains so quickly :) I sure don't remember an ovary ache on day 2 with the 1st TX....
I am sending you lots of  ^reiki^  ^reiki^  ^reiki^ for good and healthy eggies.
Love Q

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you Quelle, yes a much easier way of explaining it is the long & short protocol. It will be interesting to see how I respond to the short protocol after previously doing the long.

Anyway, after being in such good form since taking the drugs, I think the side effects are beginning to kick in! I am really tired in the evening and was not happy that my DH decided to bring people round to the house really late last night. I am feeling really emotional at the moment and hope that I feel better today.

How are all you girls doing? Hopefully better than me  :)

Clare
xx

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Claire

How are you feeling today? hope the side effects aren't too harsh. How are you dealing with it all?

I felt a little relieved knowing that you also had previously done 3 weeks of buserelin as last tx i only did 2 weeks before stimming so was a bit worried they were drugging me for no reason - turns out its cause Easter is in the way and therefore doing 3 weeks fits in better with appointments  :eek: still a bit odd but hey they are the experts!

I got my period 2 days ago which has much relieved my headache and crankiness, tho have this awful metallic taste in my mouth i cant enjoy anything and i love my food! :mad:
Didnt get it last time either so wonder if my body's changed - i dunno i think i think too much  ::)

enjoy your sunday and here's to all celebrating our own mothers day next year !!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

xxxxx

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

Hope your all well? Jo, I hope the metallic taste is gone? That is horrible that it is making your food taste nasty, that is are only comfort at the moment!. I have a really sweet tooth and sadly at the moment my chocolate in the evening is one of the highlights of the day :)

I am feeling quite emotional and really tired. I am totally exhausted in the evenings, is anyone else feeling that way? I had accupuncture at the weekend which was great, I really recommend it.

Trying to be as positive as possible as I know a good mental attitude really helps.

Take care.

Clare
xx

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Claire

Glad you found the acupuncture helpful  :) Im having some too once a week, apparently I have a weak spleen and blood stagnation! I find it so fascinating they can know all that from a pulse but I do believe it can help.

How are your headaches now? Ive just been a bit cranky and thank god the metallic taste is subsiding, you're right it is the only pleasure esp as im not drinking!  ;)

Whats next in your treatment? I have two more weeks of down regulating before stimming.

Also just got zw relaxation cd specifically for ivf,listened to the first track and felt so dreamy it was really good! :)

hope ur enjoying some of the sunshine
xxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Jo,

That is amazing what they can tell from your pulse. I was told that it was really faint and that I was tired, no surprise there. That CD sounds fab, I think I will need to buy one too, I could really do with chilling out. I have been taking the ZW vitamins for about 6 months now and they seem pretty good. I have also started taking lots of Omega 3, 6, 9 as I heard that they help with eggs so anything to help with that.

This week is so hectic as I am helping my Mum move house, but hopefully things should calm down next week. I am an only child and Mum is 77 this year, so she really needs my help.

I am on my pills until Sunday then I stop for 4 days to get my period (hopefully) and start the burselin.  I am not feeling very positive at the moment I just feel I should have done it a month later when my Mum wasn't moving and work was less hectic. Anyway planning a quite weekend, I am working for a few hours on Saturday and then I plan to put my feet up for the rest of the weekend, well that's the plan. We were planning to move ourselves next week but thankfully I have managed to persuade my DH that it is not the best time  :)

Glad the metallic taste is going, and your food is tasting better again:)

How are you feeling??

Clare
xx

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi Ladies,
I am not doing sniffers only jabs so no metallic taste for me... But as Clare said I have been feeling quite weepy and emotional. Once I started the Gonal F I am always tired... Just wanted to sleep and sleep an sleep, never leave my bed  ::) Alas, whenever I am stimming work moves up a gear! Funny how things work  :)
I am not doing acupuncture - I am a "needlefob" so doing the jabs in itself an achievement for me, no more please  ;D But I am doing Reiki, on and off! So I cannot comment much on the accu front...
Clare I hope you can manage the house move of your mum! That is really nice of you, I know you said you are an only child but you are a caring one indeed  ^hugme^
Jo, I hope the metallic taste soon goes away and you can start enjoying your food once again.  ::) There are times I feel I can eat a whole sheep so to speak! That is an other side effect! I love my chocolate but nowadays I make do with Nesfit Chocolate Creal... An other initiative of mine on the quest to cut down my caffeine and sugar intake  ^idiot^
I am due for a 3rd and possibly final scan tomorrow. Then the time for EC will be set. How are you two doing? How is the progress so far?

Love Q

1 - 20 of 29 Posts