Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi anyone

I've just had an ICSI cycle cancelled due to por response to stimms. i was on 8 ampules of Menopur powder a night, and I only made 2 mature follies. I am doing a short protocol next time, but I am obsessively worrying because they said if it doesn't work then there's nothing else I can try except donor eggs.

I know other people on here have had good results with SP, but I don;t know what their FSH levels were. My FSH was 10.2 this time, and I am only 32.

I am also confused because I know some people do SP because they don't respond to d/regging. I do, but don't stimulate properly, and they said this means a level of ovarian failure...I'm finding it hard not to be unreasonably worried by this, as DH has a severe zero sperm count (6 sperm found ever) and the thought of us both having problems scares the life out of me.

I am worried that I am unusually young to be a such poor responder and needing to do a SP.

Is there anyone out there in the same boat or can reassure me?

Thanks
Ermey x

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hi Ermey

Not sure if this helps or not.  My first cycle of IVF was a long protocol and i only produced 7 follies and 5 eggs, d/r all ok, this time with my ICSI cycle they doubled the does of Menopur and again i only produced 7 eggs, only 3 fertilised and 2 were good to use, 3rd was destroyed, our next step before we go for our 3rd cycle is to check to see if i am ovulating and what the problem is as to why I'm not producing as i should be producing 15/20 eggs on that dose, also have been recommended to get my endo sorted out before as they think thats causing me problems with egg quantity.

Don't worry too much and loads of luck to you.

Kelly xxxx

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Ermey - they nearly always put older women on SP as they are generally 'running low' on eggs and respond to it better. Even though you are a mere sprite, it should give you a better result because of your high FSH.
Love and lots of hugs (for being so nice to me when I panic)
Lizi.x

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Hi Ermey

Sorry to read about your cancelled cycle - it must have been gutting.  I'm not surprised you feel worried about it all - it's a horrible shock to be told you might have ovarian issues (I've been there too).  When I got my diagnosis of low ovarian reserve, I felt like I should just give up there and then (although it doesn't sound like your diagnosis of there being a problem is that definitive yet?).  I'm so glad I didn't do that.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about short v long protocol - I've only cycled once on a short protocol.
But I hope I might be able to give you a little bit of hope.  I am older than you and my last measured FSH was 12.  On the short protocol I produced only four eggs, but the quality of all four was good and I am now 11 weeks pregnant. 

In the lead up to my treatment I followed (loosely) the diet and lifestyle suggestions in the Marilyn Glenvillve book (Natural Solutions to Infertility) and also had accupuncture.  I don't know for sure but I feel that these may have made the difference to egg quality, so worth considering.

And your age is still on your side - a women of 32 with FSH of 10 has much better prospects than a women 5 or 10 years older with the same FSH level.

Very best of luck for your next ICSI

x
Alvie

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply girls. I know I am stressing too much about this, its only a week since my ICSI was cancelled and too eary to be fretting...I haven't even had an AF yet! I just feel very confused and feel like I'm being really thick for not understanding my situation properly...  ^idiot^

Lizi - does my FSH mean I'm running low on eggs too? My head is spinning!

Does me being a slow responder with high FSH mean that even under my normal menstrual cycle I'm not functioning quite right? Or just not great at IVF?

Rationally I think stop fretting, there's every chance SP will be the solution, but my hormones keep telling me to panic (see Lizi you're not alone! ;) )

Alvie - congratulations on your pg, thats wonderful! And thanks so much for your message it has really given me hope and a reason to keep calm. You're right, they haven't really given me a definitive diagnosis, just an acknowledgement that my FSH and slow response is an indication problems. Therefore I know should stop panicking....! I've just got a feeling I won't feel happy about it until I'm back on that couch with my legs akimbo looking at that computer screen!  ;D 
Thanks too for the tip about the MG book. Have got the Zita West one but might look into the other.

I'm gonna create myself a positive mantra.....'i can grow eggs, I can grow eggs....'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.