Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My first message so here goes.
Have just been told that I cannot progress with my planned IVF cycle as my FSH level was 19. I am 38 and feeling pretty devasted.
Has anyone else experienced this. Should I give up trying now?.

Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Mog

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi Mog

I am sorry to hear of your problems, I personally don't have this problem but if you go to "Inbetween Treatments" section there is a long thread on there called "has no one got a high FSH level above 10" you will probably find all the advice you need there
Good Luck
Dydie

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hi mog,

Firstly welcome to FF :)

Sorry to hear of your dissappointment  ^Cuddle^,an FSH of 19 is quite a high level but most clinics like to do more than one test as levels can vary from month to month.
There will be a few threads on here where you'll be able to get help & info & the girls on here are always ready to help.
I hope you get some more positive news soon,
luv
juel xx

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Mog
I am also a new member with a high FSH.  I was told by a famous clinic that I would have to have donated eggs as my FSH was 18.7.  I was totally devested but did some research and found that there is little to do to lower it although it varies month to month.  I then contacted a clinic in London who treat over 40's (I was 41) and was told that if I had regular cycles and ovulate then not to get hung up by the numbers!  My FSH fell slightly - could be stress related???? and I went on and produced 5 eggs.  Not a huge amount compared to many but enough.  Unfortunately it ended with a negative result but the moral of the story is just go for it and don't be put off by the first hurdle.
Try and stay calm, be positive and really look into the different clinics in your area as many won't treat us oldies as it spoils their stats!
Hope this helps.
Jewel

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Mog,

don't be put off too soon, I have always had high FSH levels, upto 19.6, I was given a doom and gloom talk about lack of satisfactory stim response, donor eggs etc, but until you actually go through with an IVF cycle nobody knows how you will respond. I am speaking from experience.

My last treatment was a yr ago with a new clinic who were really supportive and didn't think my high levels were that big a deal, anyway I delivered a beautiful baby girl in December.

Could you try another clinic? they are not all "anti high FSH". FSH levels are just one of a number of factors that influence stimm response, and should only be used just to give an idea of doseage for the first time when nothing is known about how you will respond (in my opinion!).

Hope this gives you some hope, you are probably feeling beaten already but don't give up.

Best of luck to you

Sammy x

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Thanks for posting, Sammy - I really needed to hear some good news from someone with high FSH levels - thanks!
Jessx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sammy and Jewel,
Thank you both for your support and comments - it has made me feel so much better and not so old and 'past my sell by date'.

Clinic plans to test me again next month, and if still high put me on the contraceptive pill to try to lower my levels(!?). After that they are going to go ahead with one cycle regardless.

I will keep you posted on progress.
Thank you once again
Kind thoughts
Mog

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Hi there

Check the thread at ARGC + FSH level > 10.  I got a lot of replies to the same question.  ARGC would monitor u until u get a cycle when FSH is lower.  Also Lister treat women with high FSH. 
There are a lot of inspirational stories. 
All the best INcy

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi mog, I'm sorry you had such a shock. You might want to check out the high FSH community, there is a bulletin board at http://www.network54.com/Forum/53068/ where people are very supportive. MIght be worth going for a second opinion at another clinic while you're waiting for treatment to start to hear how others might treat you?

/links

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi Mog

I'm afraid I haven't got a success story for you .... yet :) but I'm an old wrinkly, spinster of the parish, with uber high FSH levels and I'm not giving up without a fight ^bigbad^ and I'd like to share with you why I'm not giving up using my own eggs.

I too was devastated when I got my first FSH level result (29.4 IU/L) I cried for days ... so much so that I had to walk the dog in the dark so I wouldn't scare people and live off whatever was in the freezer :) But then over a few weeks after I found this site, did a lot of on-line research, I slowly began to try feel as though I might be able to have some control over this nightmare. Some might think I'm being naive but I just can't give up without trying.

Anyway, I started taking Agnus Castus (despite some people advising me against it or other saying it just wouldn't do anything). I had a second FSH level taken one month after the first and week after taking Agnus Castus , and it was down to 20.57 IU/L and I was over the moon ^banana^ I was half expecting it to be in the 100s. :) I know it's still mega high but if it can drop 9 in month without being proactive I'm hoping I can get it down further.

I don't think my levels dropped because of Agnus Castus cos I'd only been on it a week, it was probably a natural fluctuation, but I'm continuing to take this and 'other potions' :) to do my damnedest to get my levels down further.

I still have my bad days, wake up with palpitations and can still burst into tears at the most inappropriate moment but thankfully these are getting less and less. I'm generally I'm a lot more positive ^reiki^ and I think this too can have an enormous effect on one health.

Anyway, that's enough of my general twaddle, so now I'll share the 'positive' comments I've had from some doctors .(we've all heard the nagative ones so we don't need to repeat them again :))

My email started: I am a 44 year old woman with an underactive thyroid and high FSH levels who would dearly like to try IVF treatment using my own eggs. I know my chances of conception and a live birth are very slim but at the moment I would like to actively and exhaustively persue the possibility of using my own eggs before considering donor oocytes.

Reply from Dr Ales Sobek, Fertimed Clinic, Czech Rep:Yes, I can do it. I know, you understand low chance in 44.

Reply from Dr Stepan Machač, Reprofit Internation, Czech Rep
Of course you can try to have a cycle with your own eggs. There is only a high risk for cancelling he cycle because of no respond. But based only on FSH levels no body can tell you 100% of not being able to conceive with own eggs unless FSH more tan 40

Reply from on-line consultation from Center for Human Reproduction, New YorkConsidering your age of 44, and your elevate FSH, your chances with your own eggs are very slim. If you still would like to try, we will gladly help.

I can't comment on the ARGC because I believe they won't treat single women so I never contacted them.

At the moment I'm leaning towards Reprofit International (the Czech clinics are so much cheaper than those over here and given that I feel as though I'll have to have several cycles to get a success or to be able to give up and move on).

Anyway, I'm hoping you're feeling a bit better these days ... all I can say is that you're not alone ... keep us updated.

Love and hugs

dcon_blue
x

/links

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Hi Mog
I remember how desolate I felt when I found out my fsh was 13 and 6 months later it had gone up to 24.. I was commenced on an ivf cycle that month at the Lister but failed to produce more than one follicle and was given the DE chat  :(  Luckily FF saved my bacon and I decided to start a 4month course of DHEA. My fsh has been 8.5 for 2 consecutive months following this so I was made up...Drs will tell me that "its just one of those things and it can fluctuate" which is true but I really think DHEA helped. i then started with another clinic who were prepared to whack up my stimm dose (600) Gonal F is supposed to be best on a short/flare protocol for poor responders so i think it is important that you go with a clinic that will listen to what you want drugs wise (after all, you are paying) My consultant at Lister was very reluctant to increase the stimms which i felt was stupid...after all, it would probably be my last chance...what harm could it do to take the max dose?? (I was hardly going to over stimulate!) anyway, this time I got 5 eggs which i was made up with..only one fertilized but like everyone says it only takes one! It was a grade 1 embryo...I would love at this point to say I am PG but it didnt work for us...gutted yes...but, i wanted that chance SOOO much and I am grateful that i had my little embie on board and we gave it our best shot...it COULD have worked, despite all the negativity that you are sometimes faced with..
Please keep trying until you feel it is no longer feasable and I wish you lots of luck!
Love Pobby xx

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
ooh!  I just noticed Mogs post is 2 yrs old!! dont reckon she will be rewading our replies?! x

·
Registered
190 Posts
Let's hope she's too busy changing nappies :)

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
As pobby has pointed out, this thread is 2 years old and Mog has not been an active member of FF since May 2005 so it's unlikely there will be any response from her.

Take care
Natasha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.