Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

OH and I recently got news that his FSH level was 26 which is very high. We were told the liklihood of finding sperm was pretty slim.

We have a Urologist appointment booked on the 1st April however we are already looking in to donor sperm.

Does anyone on here have positive stories of finding sperm with high FSH levels? Hopefully there is some help ?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, the lack of replies doesn't bode well :-[

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Lovebug, you will find that the boards tend to be a bit busier during the week and the evenings.  At weekends, people are often off doing stuff so don't always get chance to log in.  Someone will be along soon with an answer for you hun, don't despair!

Tilly
xxxxx

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the news you've had, but there is definitely hope, and you will find a lot of people in a similar position on the Non obstructive azoospermia thread, where you can get lots of information if you read back over some of the old posts and you're likely to get helpful responses if you post on there yourself.

Unfortunately, my story might not be what you want to hear right now, as my partner has recently had a negative TESE (i.e. no sperm found in an attempt to retrieve it surgically) with an FSH level of around 15. We are soon to start the donor sperm journey. However, it doesn't seem to be the case that the higher the FSH, the less likely to find sperm - in fact, I've read once or twice it may even be the opposite - and there are lots of stories on this board where sperm has been found in cases where the odds have seemed really slim, and women have gone on to have successful pregnancies. It's also encouraging to find many very happy outcomes amongst those who have eventually opted to use a donor.

Like Tilly said, the board is not busy at all times but I'm sure more people will respond over the next day or two - there are lots of very friendly and supportive people around!

Take care. xx

·
Registered
222 Posts
Lovebug --

Sorry to leave you hanging!  There is a very good study done by Dr. Schlegel at Cornell that shows NO relationship to high FSH and success of sperm retrieval.  The only predictive factors seem to be microdeletions of the Y chromosome and the skill of the surgeon performing the TESE.  Unfortunately, many urologists look only at the FSH and paint a dire picture.

My DH has a FSH near 40 and we have had two successful cycles out of three attempts.  It is not an easy road and there is lots of uncertainty, but there is HOPE!  Pop onto the NOA thread and hop in -- you'll find women at all stages of treatment and with all kinds of happy endings from successful TESE and donor sperm.

leebs

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello all

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR RESPONSES  ;D

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound ungrateful at the lack or response - I've come from Baby Centre and it's constantly active!

It seems there is hope and I am def going to check out the study and NOA post.

The WAITING is so hard, I just WANT TO KNOW!

Leebs -that is wonderful you have had two successful cycles, there is def hope! OH has a FSH of 26 but it doesn't seem like it is the be all and end all  :)

abcdefgh - do you know much about the sperm donor procedure?

Tilly - thanks for the thread link  :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi Lovebug,

Glad you're feeling a bit more hopeful! Sorry you're struggling with the waiting though. It is awful, I know. I just hate the feeling of not being able to do anything, but I have found time has passed more quickly than I expected it would when my partner was first diagnosed with azoospermia last August and I was initially so impatient. Do you have a TESE booked? Or have you not decided whether to go ahead with it yet?

I don't know a lot about the donor procedure but am beginning to learn more. There's a thread in the Donor Eggs and Sperm section of this website called 'Anyone using donor sperm?' which I've found really useful and would be worth a read through. And I'm sure the ladies there would answer any questions you have (it's a very active thread) even though you're not sure yet if it is the route you will end up going down. It seems that clinics really vary in terms of waiting times, availability of sperm, whether they allow you to import from foreign sperm banks etc. The clinic I'm hopefully going to use in Manchester say that they have their own sperm bank and no wait - I just don't know whether they'll be able to offer us a match we're happy with - but it seems that a lot of places with longer waiting times allow you to import sperm from abroad but it can be quite expensive I think.

Anyway, as you've already seen, there is certainly still plenty of hope for you that sperm retrieval will be successful and I have my fingers crossed that everything works out, but it's good that you have the donor sperm option in the back of your mind. I really wish you the best of luck with your journey.

xxx

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi abcdefgh

We don't have TESE booked but we are hoping when we have the Urology appointment in April they will either give us a date or certainly try and give us an idea of the wait. (more waiting  :mad:)

Our clinic using 2 donor banks but they are both abroad. The waiting time from payment to delivery is only 2 weeks I believe but it's not the cheapest option HOWEVER we arent having to pay for our IVF so that's a Godsend.

I'm holding off looking in to things as much now as OH has said he doesn't want to think about anything until April and tbh I can't carry all the thoughts and information in my head at my own at the moment but I will def look at the thread in the near future.

Thank you  :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hello again,

I hope the wait for the TESE is not too long for you. Hopefully they will at least give you a rough date at your appointment. Our local NHS hospital told us the wait was over a year  :eek: so we decided to go private to have the op. Unfortunately it was unsuccessful so in some ways it was a big waste of money, but I'm glad we did it as we really wanted to know as soon as possible. I think - as with everything else - there's loads of variation across the country as to waiting times, funding etc, though, so fingers crossed your clinic is totally different from mine and you get an appointment quite quickly.

As for the donor thing, I think you're being really sensible and brave by starting to look into it but it's definitely more important to focus on plan A for now. My OH was exactly the same - didn't want to discuss donor at all - and I was really worried that if the TESE didn't work, that would be the end of the road for us but actually he's come round to the idea pretty quickly now we know it's our only real option. So I'm sure the fact that your OH doesn't want to speak about it right now doesn't mean he doesn't realise it is something he may have to consider at some point in the future or that he will never agree to it, he is probably just trying to stay optimistic about the TESE for now, which may well work for you!  ;D  ^reiki^

I also saw your post on the NOA thread I think about having a low ovarian reserve. Snap! - me too, and I'm only 30 so it sounds like our situations are quite similar. (Do you know your AMH result? Mine was 7.34) I've been trying to find out more about it but haven't got all that far to be honest, but I have seen plenty of stories of people getting pregnant through IVF with much lower AMH levels than me, and I've also heard that it doesn't relate to egg quality (which you should still expect to be quite good at 29). I think mainly it's used to predict how well you will respond to IVF drugs - i.e. the lower the AMH, the fewer eggs you can expect - but nobody knows for sure how things will go until you start treatment.

I hope you are ok. It's such a tough and unfair situation to find ourselves in but keep reading the positive stories - there is loads of hope that you will soon have the happy family you deserve  :)  Take care. xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts