Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peter

I wonder if you can help me out. I know you are probably really busy as you have been away for a while but I have just had a really big blow.

I have just read my blood results for for my FSH level and it is 12. I can't believe it. Can you confirm that a high FSH level means low egg supply. I was planning to do egg sharing (as a donor) with my next IVF but the Lister stipulate that the FSH needs to be less than 10.

I have always thought my IF was due to blocked tubes but now I am beginning to wonder if there may be another reason.

With my last IVF 6 years ago I didn't stimulate very well. It cost a fortune in drugs and I only got 8 eggs (I was 29). This must all be related but no-one pointed it out to me.

Can you still be successful with IVF with a high FSH level? What is the optimum FSH level for successful IVF? Does the FSH level fluctuate at all and are there ways of lowering it? Should I get another blood test done?

Sorry to have so many questions but I am just so shocked and upset. I would be most grateful for any help you can give me.

Many thanks
Indianna

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Peter

I wondered if you have missed this post or just still really busy working your way through all the others.

Thanks

Indianna

·
Registered
856 Posts
Indianna said:
Hi Peter

I wonder if you can help me out. I know you are probably really busy as you have been away for a while but I have just had a really big blow.

I have just read my blood results for for my FSH level and it is 12.

12 is the point at which FSH is considered to be on the high side, less than 12 is OK. You are therefore very borderline and need at least another test before you can draw any conclusions.

I can't believe it. Can you confirm that a high FSH level means low egg supply.

In some patients but not in all

I was planning to do egg sharing (as a donor) with my next IVF but the Lister stipulate that the FSH needs to be less than 10.

This makes sense to act as an egg donor as a high FSH can poull down egg quality and egg numbers

I have always thought my IF was due to blocked tubes but now I am beginning to wonder if there may be another reason.

Infertility is rarely one clear cut problem, you should not be surprised or worried at this.

With my last IVF 6 years ago I didn't stimulate very well. It cost a fortune in drugs and I only got 8 eggs (I was 29). This must all be related but no-one pointed it out to me.

No not at all. Back then your FSH was probably within the normal range.

Can you still be successful with IVF with a high FSH level?

Yes, most certainly!

What is the optimum FSH level for successful IVF?

Less than 12

Does the FSH level fluctuate at all and are there ways of lowering it?

Yes it does fluctuate and no there is nothing you can do to lower it.

Should I get another blood test done?

Yes, at least one more, preferably 2 at different times of your cycle to get a true picture of waht is happening.

Sorry to have so many questions but I am just so shocked and upset.

Don't worry, I am sure that this will prove to be a one off high result.

Peter

I would be most grateful for any help you can give me.

Many thanks
Indianna

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Peter

Thanks very very much for your reply - you have really put my mind at rest.

Good luck in Canada

Best wishes
Indianna

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Dear Indianna :)

Hi, I just wanted to say that I am 34 and my fsh in Dec/Jan was 12.5 so I was very worried like you.

They put me on 3 amps of memopur and I produced 16 eggs and was on the verge of hyper-stimulating so you see high fsh can work too. I am sure they will put you on the correct amount of drugs for your fsh levels too.

Good luck to you & all the best Amanda x x x

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Amanada

Wow 16 eggs! I only dream of getting 16 eggs! :D

Thanks for sharing that with me. I am feeling more positive now. Last week I really thought I was done for, blocked tubes one thing, no eggs another.

Thanks again
Indianna XX

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello Indianna

I justed wanted to say that I had a high FSH one month and like you, was very worried about it.

But the month after, it was back to under 8. My clinic said that 'glitches' can happen, even in very young women.

But if you do stay at 12 I'm sure you'll have a successful IVF. :)

Good luck
Mandy xxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts