Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
we are due to start ICSI in the next month but so far no one has mentioned HIV tests to us, we have had different investigations and blood tests but to my knowledge this wasnt one of them and DH hasnt had any blood taken.  I'm quite confused as everyone on here is saying that you need to have HIV tests before treatment so why has noone mentioned this??  ???

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
Which clinic are you with?  I would ring them as HIV test is standard everywhere I have seen. If you had a HIV test they will have told you (or should have done!!).
L x

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, i will be with Derriford, South Devon but have had all the investigations done at Torbay so maybe they should have requested them?? hmm sometimes you just want to  ^bigbad^  ;D

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Hi,
  Both me and DP had to have HIV, We also both have to have them done 3 months after the 1st test also as the clinic says HIV can take 3 months to appear on the test. Treatment will still be planned but if the next HIV comes through as positive treatment will be cancelled. We both also had Hep B & C. Not sure if the 3 month rule is standard for all clinics as they all have the same but HIV certainly needs to be done 1st off, We had ours done at our GP's.
:)

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
My clinics (under 3) 2 have said the infection bloods HIV, Heb B+C need to be 6 monthly ARGC say once a year
L x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

Yep, it's an HFEA ruling that you have to have HIV & Heps B&C tested prior to starting treatment....and these should be no older than 1 year.  We've had ours tested 3 times now as had done in Feb 2006 just before starting IVF but then the following year, we started IVF in March and our results were literally about a couple of weeks out of date so had to have again....and the same this March !Some clinics will also require you to have Chlamydia tested as well.

I would contact your clinic but in the meantime, perhaps it would be worth you & your partner getting these tests done anyway as they can take several weeks to get results (when having private can be much quicker but I know when we've had done on NHS it's taken between 3-4 weeks to get results).  You must get the results in writing as well as your clinic will need copies for their records.    If you're having private treatment, you can save money and get your tests done at your local NHS GUM clinic which is what we did twice but you obviously need to explain to them your reasons for having the tests & they would usually phone with the results so you specificially need to request that results in writing...but does save approx £150/200 each time (that's how much our clinic charges privately).

Good luck
Natasha

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I also queried this. We are due to start in August and I haven't been requested to go in for tests - I have been asked to go in on day 21 of my July Cycle which will be 7th August the secretary I spoke to said they would do the HIV tests then -, the results won't be back before we start however and will probably arrive mid cycle.  I think I'll call them again as I don't want this to delay the treatment.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Hi

Charlie i am with plymouth and due for icsi (seminar in July) they def requested HIV tests

personally for those that havent had a test with treatment pending i would push it as it would be a real shame to get to treatment for it to be postponed without the test , due to what may be an admin error.......

Good Luck with the treatment  ^pray^ ^reiki^ ^pray^ ^reiki^

Love Hopeful x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts