Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

Just a simple questions and my apologies to vegetarians out there... I really don't want to offend anyone.

Would you allow a 4 year old to see the pig at a hog roast? Is it too much info at such a young age?

Thank you xx

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
I would totally let him/her see it!  Personally speaking I think it's very important that J knows where his food comes from, meat and milk included (ie not just the cooler in a supermarket).  He's not even three and has a good understanding of all that stuff (well, so far as an almost-3yo can!  ;) ) and doesn't get remotely icked out by anything like that.  I guess it will depend on your values and what your child is used to etc but I don't see why not.  I guess I wouldn't make a big deal out of it (beyond the positive, "Oh yummy, smell that roast!" etc... oh, and ditto what you say about not wishing to offend vegetarians  :) ) and then just answer any Qs that arise in plain and simple terms. No great detail is needed, it's just the way it is.

Whatever you feel most comfortable with I would say is the right way forward, tho I guess if you try to 'hide' the roast from the child then that could just make for a more tricky situation.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Trip x

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Totally agree - we take ours regularly to the local farm shop so they can see the animals in the fields and i make a big point of making sure they know which cuts of meat come from which animal.  the farm are great and have open days too so they are learning lots - i try to make sure they see what happens in the butchery part of the shop too, so it is 'normal' to them.

The earlier they learn, the less it will freak them out - i think it's really important that they understand what they are eating, and that's it isn't totally sanitised for them as it would be from a supermarket.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
:)

This next comment if kinda off topic but I just had to say that meat is never 'totally sanitised', even from a supermarket (unless it's irradiated which, so far as meat in UK is concerned, I believe might just be poultry as well as fish and shellfish and which would need to be labelled as such - I've never seen any!).  ;)

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
I meant from a packaging point of view - there's no clue to a four year old what animal it has come from in a plastic package, but if they watch it being sawn off the animal then it's a lot clearer to them!! ;D

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Yes absolutely! Why not? It's much 'easier' for children to grow up knowing 'stuff' so we've always explained to our children what they are eating and where it came from etc.

You'll probably find a lot of fascination and questions over a hog roast, I know mine were at a party we were at last summer  :)

S x

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Girls you are stars!
You've confirmed what I thought anyway, someone had put some doubt in my mind, hence the post.
DS knows where his meat comes from, which animal etc, and not just from the supermarket shelves and he is used to the butchers. So I think he'll be fine with it.
This is just a step further and I wanted to guage your opinions.
Thank you!! x

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Yummy - enjoy! I love hog roast!

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
:)  THANKS for  putting the thought of scrummy hog roast in my mind... it's all I can think of now and I'm drooling!  ;D

·
Registered
730 Posts
Totally agree. DS1 is a total farm freak and knows all the food products that anmals give us including their meat. I thinks it's important for LO's to understand that food doesn't just appear on our supermarket shelves. Enjoy!
(sorry to all the veggies. I was one for 13 years until I made DP a bacon sandwich and she never got to see it, oops)

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
It's a regualr stop for us on the weekly trip to the Farmer's Market ;) DD usually has the porridge to start then pinches our hog roast rolls, complete with haggis stuffing, crackling and apple sauce! Agree with everyone else that it's important to help them learn where food comes from and also how it is reared, cared for and then killed for market.

Han- my cousin has been veggie for 22 years now and the one thing that always makes her waver is the smell of bacon sarnies ;) (I also have a freind who caved in one morning due to a bacon sarnie and a bad hangover ;D )

Trip- I'm heading to market on Saturday, can post one over if you like ;)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Speaking as a Vegetarian  ::) ::) ::) , I have no problem with letting a child see where meat really comes from.  My two go to the fish counter with me and see the fish fresh fish that I buy for them.

Personnally I have no problem with people eating meat as long as they understand where it comes from, its just not for me.

Barnet girl

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
When we name animals to Willow, we divide them into which ones are delicious, e.g. pigs, cows, chickens, sheep, rabbits, and which ones are not delicious; all the rest! Never too early to know where food comes from. x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
My friend has been saying to her DS (now 5) since he was about a year old "where's the best place for a rabbit? IN the POT!"
and it's never bothered him at all.

My DS was a little slower to work out that meat came from animals, and one night he refused to eat his tea if it was meat.  I thought he was about to tell me he'd decided he was a vegetarian, but it lasted one night until I served him some sausages (his favourite) and informed him with trepidation it was pig - not bothered!  And now he's always checking which animal he's eating.

We nearly had a hog roast for our wedding when DS was 2 - it never occured to me that he and all his little friends and all the other 50 children there would have a problem with it - oops!

C x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts