Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Girls

This is not a problem in any shape or form but I would appreciate any views you may have on holiday locations!

We normally enjoy a week in a European or British city and are off to Nice for a week soon.  However we also have two weeks' holidays in late July/early August but don't know where to go (we will either go somewhere within Europe or the UK). 

Where have you been recently that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Eilidh
xx

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi Eilidh

We've just come back from New York which was great for shopping and a day or two's site seeing but not much beyond that.

Last year our highlights were going to Florence and Berlin spending a week in each - we had a wonderful time. The food in Berlin was fantastic (no, really it was) and well priced.  Florence was a tad expensive but worth this experience. If you're interested in either I'll give yout he links to our accommodation (we prefer apartments to hotels). There's plenty to do in each city for more than a week.

As an aside, we also did the tourist triangle in India - what an experience. We adored every second and it was life changing.

Have a wonderful time no matter the destination.  Enjoy!

flipper

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Eilidh,

It depends on the sort of holiday you are looking for. If it's the UK, we sometimes go to the Isle of Wight or the Lake District. The former is great for a quiet, almost 1950s holiday, the latter for lovely walks and pub meals!

In Europe we really enjoyed Prague a few years ago - and Dublin's great! I have to admit though, that I always have my eyes a lot further afield!

Hope you have a lovely time wherever you go!

Solitaire
xxx

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi Eilidh- I too am off to Nice in early July- well staying in Antibes. Last year we went to Berlin although we stayed in Potsdam which is around half an hour out by train. I never get much chance to take the train here so I actually enjoyed the travelling in and out. The only thing that bugged me was that as a languages teacher I couldnt speak German!!! I speak French and read spanish and italian fairly well. I think though if people do not speak languages it tends not to bother them unduly.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Dear Eilidh,
I would normally say Venice is a MUST - but maybe not in high summer. I reckon the Loire valley in France is good, especially Saumur - if you like a holiday where you can eat good food, drink good wine, wander round old cities, do a bit of shopping, go for drives and walks in the countryside. Again though, we are talking August - 'la grande vacance' so the place will be a bit busy. In the UK I would say the Dorset coast - great cliff walks and fossiling! Lyme Regis is lovely. And I reckon the prettiest village is Cerne Abbas (in the shadow of 'the giant'). I can recommend a very resonable cottage run by the people who own the manor house there, if you are interested. Also I agree with Solitaire - the Lake District is great for walking.
One thing I have often thought of doing is a canal boat holiday in western Ireland - apparently there are lots of waterways taking you through a very scenic part of the country. It sounds very relaxing. Oh there are so many options...
Bernie xx

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Ooooh Eilidh.... hope you have a fab time wherever you decide to go! I see you have already had some fab suggestions. Heres my twopennys worth!

Amsterdam - beautiful city despite all the hoo har about the naughty things that go on there. May be a bit crowded in July, however there is always lots to do - you can hire a push bike to get around the city (hysterical fun, especially if you decide to do a spot of shopping en route)! or choose to travel by canal boat (they run like the buses do over here)! There are trams to take you all over and tons of art galleries if that sort of thing floats your boat. Tons of places to eat, drink and lots of cafes with a twist too!

Brugges in Belgium is another fave place of mine - beautiful city, spotlessly clean and safe to walk around. There are lots of little breweries that you can go visit - and sample the beer of course! And tons of places selling chocolate - the recipies for each shop are a closely guarded secret, you can even see them making chocolates and sweets on the premises - and the smell - yummy!

Closer to home the Cotswolds are a lovely place to visit, as is Devon.

Have you ever thought of doing something a wee bit different with a bit of a twist to it such as hiring a camper van and going travelling? Thats something I plan to do one day soon - DH has never been to Scotland (shame on him)! so we were thinking of heading up that way and taking in the lake district too...

Well I'll be checking back in to see where you're going to decide to go eventually....!  ;D

Love
Emcee xxx

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
I had a lovely holiday a couple of years ago with a friend. We stayed at a spa in a little town outside Pisa. Amongst the spa days/treatments and sitting around the hot mineral water pool (hot water spring from the mountains behind), we had day trips to Pisa, Sienna, Lucca, and Florence (where we did a one day Italian cookery course). We reached all of these from the train station in the town we were staying in.

It was lovely coming back to the hotel after a day sight seeing, having a turkish bath and then swimming in the pool, followed by healthy food.

Friends of mine have had wonderful holidays in Italy, and I am eager to explore more of Italy myself. All that wonderful gelato!

Hazel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts