Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

We've booked a bit of a un-planned holiday to Portugal next month ^jumpin^ and just wondered if any of you ladies had tips for taking an 8 month old away for a week abroad.

One friend said to take our usual pram (iCandy) as it's comfortable and Molly's used to it, my sister in law however said to bring a stroller as much easier -what do you think?

Same friend also recommended getting a travel steriliser from Tesco £5, another said to use Milton tablets in a tupperware box - again what do you lot think?

All tips would be much appreciated.

x

Sorry, thanks Chux ^hugme^

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
i recently took Maisey to turkey for 2 weeks and the tips i can offer are.
1)take her comfy buggy,we ate out allot and molly will i assume be asleep around that time -we were really happy Maisie has her snuggly pram to sleep in-we saw lots of babies looking reaally uncomfortable in the cheepy fold up ones. :)
PS the plane lets you take the pram right up the the door,so dont worry about bagging it up. ^pray^

2)take a sun brolly and the mothercare fan that clips on the pram (a lifesaver)

3)for the plane,take a pot of things to eat that will interest her,and some little toys such as books

4)dont pack hardly anything for  her to wear..we packed lots of little outfits for her for the day and she was happier in a little vest or just a nappy,also at night we changed her into her babygro as normal(i SO wanted to put her in a frilly dress  :mad:) )

5) we took our baby monitor so if we were sitting on the balcony we could hear her if she was asleep in the room-not sure how you feel about that one due to maddy.. :'(

6)dont get all stressed we were really worried about the plane and the heat and it was fine.. have a great time  :)
emmax

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
We took M to spain when she was about 9 months old.

I didn't take a steriliser!  I jsut washed everythign well (although i had to wash it in shower gel as i forgot to take washing up liquid!!) and then scalded everything with boiling water. (had to hire a kettle from reception!).

I would recommend taking the comfy buggy - we took the stroller as we thought it would be easier, but as you can take it all the way to the aircraft, it really doesn't matter.  i would recommend getting a buggy bag though - i got one from kiddicare.com, and it helped keep it all together. (and i chucked in a few bits i couldn't get in the hand luggage!!

agree about the clothes - just light things and a couple of spare sheets to keep the sun out.

I also took my annabel Karmel food grinder, as we were on buffet self service all inclusive, so at mealtimes i just got a few bits for her and made them into babyfood!  worked a treat! (apart from everyone thinking i was barking mad!) and i also made up enough for tea and put it in the fridge in our room.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those tips girls ^hugme^ we are flying with EasyJet and apparently they charge you per suitcase (£12) regardless of size, etc but you still have baggage allowance. Do you think we'd get away with 1 large suitcase for the 3 of us? Going for a week but have formula and such to bring and don't want to be scrapping by on clothes :-\

We also have to pay for the pram we bring but DH said he thinks this is a standard price not dependant on size/weight of pram. Anyone else recently travelled on EasyJet?

I bought a travel steriliser from Asda today, £5 so that's all sorted! Mum reminded me to bring small container of washing up liquid with us ;)

Molly will be sleeping in the pram whilst we eat out so I agree her comfort is paramount, which is why I'm determined to bring the iCandy ;D will have a look at the buggy bags you mentioned Sallywags, only allowed one piece of hand luggage each so will have to combine my handbag and changing bag into one.

Was a little unsure about what to do about her food, we have a hand blender but not a very good one. Was thinking to just bring jars with us as she seems to prefer those to my cooking ::) :( but will have to bring tons with us and worried about breakages :eek:

We already have a parasol for Molly's pram Emmyloupink so that's sorted but loving the sound of the fan that clips onto pram! Going to look on m/care website now :)

Was talking about what to bring clothes wise and decided that during the day she'll mostly be wearing a swimsuit and going to get some cheap t-shirts as a cover up. Then in the evening I'd love to put dresses on her but then we'll just have to change her once back at the apartment and don't want to risk disturbing her so think we'll be sticking with romper suits/b'gros. Will have to put a dress on her once or twice though ;) ;D

Thanks again ladies, been real help. I'm going to try not to worry about it, just have to wait and see what she's like out there!

x

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
As for food, i took one or two jars for emergency, and as i said just mashed the rest!  i suppose it depends on what the eating arrangements are for you - she had quite a few yogurts while we were there too! (and she was introduced to chips and ice cream - naughty mummy!)

We didn't have to pay for the buggy - we did have to pay for a travel cot on our recent trip (which was very annoying as it turns out we didn't need it!!).  we went with ryanair, and our baggage limit was 15kg.  we ended up putting quite a lot in our hand baggage - i bought m a trunkie, which was quite good as it held all her toys and most of her clothes and i just squeezed my purse and a few nappies in dh's hand baggage! He took a ruck sack - it's surprising how big the hand baggage can be, i think the weight limit is 10kg.  make the most of it!  obviously you don't want to be wasting space with lots of jars of food....

Have a fab time. ;)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi we travelled with Easyjet in October and didn't pay for our stroller or travel cot, not saying that this is still the case.  We took two suitcases as we go a bit mad with clothes.

Shazznewman

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Shazz, I checked their website yesterday and you don't have to pay for prams. They do for each suitcase you take though :mad: defeats the object of a cheap airline in my opinion ::)

x

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
just back from portugal and it was great people are so friendly and helpful when there is a baby involved!  ;D

Re formula though - I would recommend if you can that you take ready made cartons. We had a bit of time to plan it so we collected a couple everytime we went to build up our stock. What a life saver!! We eventually ran out and switched to powder - what a hassle. We found that there was loads of sediment lying in the bottom of the bottle when we used Evian water as recommended so we eventually found water for babies at the local pharmacy. What a life saver that was! We also used a travel steriliser, only thing is you get a bit of a film on your bottles (sterilised with Evian 2) and they feel a bit dirty. Can only imagine it's the minerals from the water.  ???

We travelled with fly globespan and we were only allowed one item in the hold outwith our baggage allowance. We had to pay for the rest. Luckily we got away with it from glasgow (took pram, car seat and travel cot) and paid zilch but they charged us 13 euros from portugal. I also was only allowed one piece of hand luggage but that did not include matts changing bag - I'm pretty sure they are exempt - check it out.

matt wore only vests during the day despite the mountain of clothes i took for him  ;) as it was too hot and at night he went out in his vest and travel grobag so that when he conked out he wasn't being disturbed when we got back to the vill.  :)

hope you have a good time - happy holidays  ;D

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks outspan ^hugme^ nice to know it's child friendly out there! Which part did you go to? We are going to the Algarve, never been before.

Well Molly is on Cow & Gate Comfort 1 so not sure they do ready made cartons of it?? Sounds like a pain making up the bottles :(

I've been advised not to take loads of clothes for her due to weather! Glad you had a great time.

xx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Angel - i'm pretty sure i just used boiled tap water?  she was fine....

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
we were in the algarve, albuferia to be precise just at the top of the strip. Got info on cow and gate, I'm assuming your still on first milk although I'm sure they do them in the other ranges too

http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/our_products/baby_milks/for_newborn

Sallywags - its not recommended that you drink the water in portugal so didn't fancy giving it to the little one either. Also didn't want to sterilise his stuff in it as steam sterilising always leaves the bottles wet therefore some would leak into his milk (not that I'm paranoid or anything!! ;-))

/links

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
scrap that - just re-read your post and you've got the type of milk in ignore me!!  ::)

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
outspan - i'm trying to rack my brains, and i think i may have used bottled water for making up the milk - although i did clean with tap water.... it's so long ago (august!!) and i don't have a brain anymore....

do they ever come back or am i destined to have no memory for the rest of my life?!

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
we used bottled water to make up her bottles,its not much fusss-about the same as being back home you just need to plan.-the cartons are great but we had to test ours at the sequirity to be carefull.also they are sooo expensive.

we sterilised her bits in the washing up bowl using tap water and milton,its fine ,i asked my h/v.you need to be really carefull when washing and bathing her as maisie tended to put her hands in her mouth we we bathed her  ::)
one thing tho take a million dummies if she uses one as i was i wreck gaurding her two dummies incase they got lost as she has the special tommie tippie ones. x

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
We washed his bottles in tap water, just made sure we sterilised in bottled.

We packed our cartons (had about 30 of them!!) into suitcases. there was 6 of us in total going so everyone had some to split the weight. We took his powdered milk through onto the plane and we had to test the water at glasgow but they never bothered us at portugal. Didn't want to take cartons on plane as I had read that they make you open them and taste them and it would have meant they would have been useless after the hour.

as for the memory - yeah, thats long gone and it aint coming back. Its even getting to the point I struggle when people ask me what age matt is??!! I know he's 5 months but the amount of times i've told people hes only 4 in the past few days and as soon as I say it!! Well its a small price to pay for a gorgeous guy!!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Im finding this thread interesting as were hoping to go away to Spain when dd is also 8 months...  Just wondering, say if I made up her milk with Evian water...  can I buy evian water out there??  they don't do the kind of milk dd is currently on in ready made cartons unfortunately.. so much to think about when taking a baby abroad!! 

·
Registered
990 Posts
we have just come back from Majorca and we fed Maisy (7.5mths) jars of food for the duration of our stay (10days) and just bought some kiddies yogs, bread, weetabix and fresh fruit.....she was in her element.  Since we have been back she is back on homemade food with no problems.  We sterlised bottles in sterilising bags.  You get 3 for £5 from Mothercare and each bag can be used 20times (1 bottle at a time).  They were very good and hardly took up any room in our luggage.  I was lucky enough to find a UK supermarket in Majorca that ordered in the formula (powdered and ready made), nappies, wipes and jars of food that i would need to our stay....they even delivered it for free 20 mins after we arrived at our hotel.  Water...we used Evian for bottles & dummies (we boiled the water in the bottle in the microwave for 2-3 mins and then cooled it in the fridge for a few hrs).  We also used Evain for Maisy's drinking water.

We took a buggy bag as we had heard bad reports of the handlers throwing the un-bagged buggies about...we saw it 1st hand when we arrived.  Ours made it thru OK !

Maisy pretty much kept to her routine which was fab.  She would nap well during the day and in the evening we got her dressed, went out for dinner, bathed her when we got back about 9.30-10pm and then put her to bed (we tried to keep the lighting and noise to a minimum as we would do at home).  She generally only woke for her dummy (which I must say was her best friend on holiday, we decided that if she wanted it she could have it and it was a god send.  Since being back she only has it for daytime naps and if she wakes in the night).

Babies are very adaptable and I worried about taking her away.  I worried about the flight but didn't need to ....she was asleep before even took off !!!!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again Ju2006 you've been great help! Glad you had a lovely holiday, sounds like Maisy was a good little girl ^hugme^

I'm unsure about what to do food wise for Molly. I don't want to not bring any jars with us as knowing our luck there will be nowhere that does C&G or Hipp Organic ::) At the moment she much prefers jar food, she isn't keen on the homemade stuff I've done for her :( I'm happy to give her some of our dinner if it's something like spag bol, shep pie, etc but she has no teeth still so limits her to what she can have. I'm going to ask my HV if we could put her onto cows milk as this will be much easier for us but if not then I won't push her too early of course.

We are borrowing my sister in laws pram, decided against taking our iCandy as do not want that getting bashed about ^bigbad^. Glad yours survived ;D

Molly can take or leave a dummy but will take plenty with us for her as good for on the areoplane with ears popping too! Going to borrow my sis in laws travel steriliser too, it's an electric one which will be easier to use just need to get a plug adaptor.

We are still waiting for her passport to come through ^pray^ it arrives this week!

x

·
Registered
990 Posts
Glad i can be of some assistance.  Maisy was a dream on holiday and pretty much stuck to her routine which was easier all round (shame the same couldn't have been said about the weather).  First holidays always seem to be more daunting.  We are off to Hastings in a few weeks and it feels like I have to pack everything but the kitchen sink (the caravan we are staying in doesn't come with a microwave.......essential piece of equipment)

Where in Portugal are you going ? Have you investigate on the internet if there is a website/forum that is based on Portugal.  That's how I found the 'Little Britain' supermarket in Majorca.  If not I am sure the local chemist out there will do the food/formula that you are after (we found a chemist that did a wider variety than the supermarkets).  If i were you i'd stick with formula and not cow's milk as they need to have formula until 12mths, after 12mths they can be moved onto cow's milk.

Thankfully as soon as we got back from our hols Maisy went straight back onto homemade food and she enjoys it even more than she did before we went, phew !!!! Stick with it with Molly she will enjoy ur homemade food I am sure.  Don't be disheartened, I know I was !

Glad you have a less expensive p/chair to take at least if it does get damaged or broken it won't be too costly to replace it.  I'd still recommend a buggy bag tho, £9.99 from Kiddicare.

Have a fab holiday !

Ju

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bless her, I hope we are as lucky with Molly! It's unbelievable the amount of stuff they need, it's ridiculous!! Hope you have a great time in Hastings, lets hope the weather improves for you all ^pray^

We are going to Albufeira, Algarve. Never been to Portugal before so have no idea about shops but great idea about the forum. Will have a look now for one ;) I know they don't usually go on to cows milk until 12 months but a friend of ours had both her children on cows milk at 6 months (although I do think that's too early but no harm done) and my mum had me and my twin sister on it at 10 months for when we first went abroad as with twins and no sterilisers all those years ago it would have been a nightmare :eek: so it can be done, will find out.

I hope so, I love cooking so not like it's terrible ;D I just have to stick with it like you say.

Thanks so much again Ju!

x

1 - 20 of 25 Posts