Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started my first course of hom injections before IUI - this is day two and I find that I'm pulling up a lot of air, despite trying really hard not to.  Is it OK to inject myself twice to ensure I get all the drug?

More importantly, how can I not get air in?  I found that when I got air bubbles and injected it back into the jar to try again, all I seemed to do was to get bigger air bubbles back!  Help (incompetent of Surrey!) :-\

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi there Rachel

I am not a nurse but can tell you 3 things about injecting.

The first you can stick that needle in as often as you want but you won't get any more out of it. Every needle has a deadzone between the syringe and the actual needle. No matter how much you push you will not get that bit out. This is why often get a little drip on the end after you have injected because there is no more air to push it out. Don't worry as all the drugs have a contingency amount in them to account for this. For example with Gonal-F they put 375iui in there 300 catridges.

Secondly Do not worry to much about air bubbles. First pull up the drug into the syringe, pull too much to make sure you have got it all and pull quite slowly. Then hold it up, flick the air bubbles around until they are all at one end and then you can hold the needle pointing down and prime it so that a tiny drop appears on the top of the needle (this is part of the contingency above). Do not worry about air bubboles. Whilst we all have heard that airbubbles injected into us kill us well that is only the case if they are injected into a vein and the airbubble would have to be about the size of one of our syringes to really hurt us. As we are injecting subcurtaneously the airbubbles pose no danger to us. That is why the medical profession let us do it at home as there is not risk if we inject an airbubble under our skin.

Thirdly when you inject leave the needle in there and count to 5 slowlt. This ensures you will get the entire dose,

Hope this helps
Megan

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi,

I am injecting - Day 5 today of d/r. The first one we did at home was the same as at teh clinic but the last 2, I have had a little white patch where we injected. It does go away after an hour or so, but am worried we are doing something wrong, although we are doing it the same as the first go which went fine.

When we inject, my DH pushes the needle right in to the skin I've pinched and then slowly pushes the plunger (so to speak). I'm also worried as I not having any side effects to the D/r, although had headaches after the first tow (which incidentally both bled but the last 2 didn't). Am I worrying over nothing or am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks,

Nat xx

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi there Natalie

I am not a nurse but some words of advice. When DH injects the pluncger try to hold the syringe tip on the skin so it doesn't push in too far.You may be getting a bit of bruising. Secondly make sure it is going in at 90 degrees and that he counts to 5 after he has finished plunging. Are you injecting in the abdomen. If you are then try to hold a fair amount of skin (like a roll) rather than pinching a small bit (this is a lot easier for some of us that those skinny ones around). Don't worry many of us have no side effects at all and some of us actually enjoy the needles. It is pretty hard to get this wrong altogether so I am sure you will be just fine.

Cheers
Megan

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi Rachael

I just did my second injection last night. AussieMeg's advice seems spot on, only thing I do is after drawing up the solution from each vial, I hold the syringe upside down, with the needle at the top, flick it a few times so the air goes to the top, then push the plunger a little to get the air out. I don't think it matters if a drop of the solution comes out the top. I repeat this after drawing up the solution from each of the three vials, so there's no air in.

With the first injection I did on Thursday, I was drawing up the plunger slowly from the vial, and found there were loads of air bubbles. So yesterday, I drew up the solution quickly till it was all in the syringe and then quickly pulled the syringe out of the vial. This seemed to work better.

Anyhow, hope that helps. I've just read another post indicating people are injecting at 6.30/7 in the morning, whereas I've been doing mine at 7 in the evening! Maybe I assumed 7pm when the nurse meant 7am?! I'll have to check when I go for my first scan tomorrow morning.

Good luck Rachael, I think it's just a case of practice makes perfect with these injections, but hopefully we won't all be getting too much practice!!!

Abby

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Thanks Megan.

Sound advice! I guess its such a critical thing, that sometimes we make too much of what is relatively straight forward. (I am a bit of a panicky Annie as my mum would say!)

Thanks again.

Nat x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Rachael
Both Megan's posts are right -first of all you really musn't worry about a bit of air - it won't hurt you.  My only worry when first injecting was that I wouldn't be able to draw up all the solution because I was getting too much air in the syringe.  I found that if you hold the vials/ampoules at a 45 degree slant, so you get a 'deeper' pool of liquid, and push the needle towards the side of the glass as you draw the liquid up, you get much less air as the needle is under the surface of the liquid until the last drop. 

Then I also hold the syringe upside down too and flick it and then push the last little bit of air out till you get a tiny drip of solution coming out of the tip of the needle. 

I gave DP marks out of 10 for his stabbing technique as well - made it more entertaining! 

Clairex

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for the advice - I'm getting better at it as I become more confident  ::), though still getting airbubbles, at least I'm not panicing so much about it!

Rachael

ps DH is too scared of needles to help, and too dopey in the mornings to get the solution ready!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts