Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girls,

I have been taking Metformin for a few months now and for the last couple of days have been getting relly bad flushes. People in work are even asking me if im ok because i looked so flushed.

Is this because of the tablets or do you think it could be something else. i never suffer with flushes usually and its not very nice so would like to know if anyone suffers with this too so i can put my mind at rest.

Thanks
Nic

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Nic. some people can have hot flushes, the thing with metaformin is to drink lots anyway so that may keep the flushes down. it's like the diarrohoea though it's only temporary and will go away. Have you taken your temperature with it..maybe you're coming down with something that is interferring with it. I was fine when i first started on metformin but after 3 months began to find that i was becoming a bit  more sweaty??(which strangely didnt smell like sweat??) my dr said it's just your body adjusting to the change in metabolism.

Are you having your lap just for the endo, or are yu having a diathermy for ther pcos too. I told my consultant to do both at once.. well it only takes an extra 5 minutes and gets the pcos blasted ready to start iui/ivf

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi sicknote,

Thanks for getting back to me. I will take my temp later to see if i am coming down with something coz loads of people in work with me are off ill at the moment so it would make sense... ::)

To be honest, my gynae hasnt said anything to me about endo but just from reading up on it im sure i have it. I think the Lap is purely just to check whats going on and not looking for anything in particular.....Sorry to sound so thick sicknote but what it a diathermy?? I havent got a clue and havent seen it mentioned alot before. I want to get clued up as much as i can so i can sign the relevant paperwork before i have the Lap to save me having another one later on. I will be starting iui (hopefully) if the Lap shows up as normal in 12 months time so dont know whether they will do anything now or wait til just before i start tx - any ideas.

Thanks again
Nic

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
hmm.. cross face.. just spent ages typing a reply and stupif lappie has lost it! :mad: :mad:

anyway was saying that i had pain in my side so they sent me for a laparoscopy to investigate.. we found out about dhs cancer and then i asked the dr before the op if there was anything they could do whilst in there as we'd have to have fertility tx. He said they'd run dye through my tubes to check ifthey were clear which they were. They lasered off the endo and that was that. Then we started iui, we had 3 on clomid all fine then the next 3 on injections, and that showed i may have pcos as the scans showed several small follicles all popping out from all over the place. So they said we couldnt move to ivf until we had a diathemy done for the pcos. So i had a nother lap and diathermy to cure pcos before starting ivf (my op piccs are in the medical file in the gallery)
pcos is where the eggs all cluster on the ovary, like bubble wrap and so they stop fresh eggs getting out, they laser off the bubble wrap.. old eggs like they laser the endo, it's just called diathermy.. they told us iui didnt work because the pcos was stopping healthy eggs through to get fertilised.
So what i'd ask is when they're there can they put dye through your tubes to check they're clear, and also see if they can check the ovaries for pcos (they're in there anyway so they may as well look) if they say no ask them if there's anything they can do for the pcos whilst in there..some hospitals wont do the diathermy but they can at least look and then you'll know if you've got pcos that will affect the egg quality. How have the diagnosed your pcos.. is it just through scans?? When you see them tell them you are starting tx and you suspect that you may have endo/pcos and see what they say.. some surgeons are only qualified to look, whilst others can look and then operate on what they find.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi sicknote,

Thanks for all that info, it taught me alot.

My pcos was dx thro an internal scan but i basically told the gynae before that the scan that i knew i had it because of the other probs i had - obesity, excess hair, irregular cycle etc etc.

I will make sure when i go in that i ask all the relevant questions and see if they can sort it all out there and then.

If you have any more info sicknote please keep it coming coz i want to be armed and ready.

Thanks again.. ;)

Nic
xxx

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Wel the biggest tip i cangive you is that when you have your anaesthetic to keep calm. I went out crying the 1st time and woke up screaming and crying like a banshee!! The anaesthetist for the 2nd op told me that we ra elike children if you fall asleep crying yoiu will wake crying.. so make sure you hold yourself together.
Also when they lasered off my endo i was hospitalised because i was in so much pain. the diathermy op didnt hurt hardly at all, but be prepared for some strong pain after endo lasering (i suppose its like them burning your insides)
i took nurofen plus to help but the drs also gave me painkiller, some of the women who had the op before me on the sam day got up and walked home, feeling fine so i suppose everyones different..
Oh and  also they wont operate if you're bleeding, but you will bleed after the op so take some san towels with you. (they like to do it at the begining of your cycle)

I'M glad i ha mine done and have found since the diatjhermy that i have so much more energy and my skin is clearer.. i'm trying to follow the gi diet as they say that helps the pcos not grow back (otherwise if we try ivf again in the future i'll have to have another diathermy) they also say loosing weight helps to keep the symptoms of pcos under control. I had acne really bad, but have found that using clinique products and regualr saunas and drinking lots of water has helped clear it up big time. I really struggle to loose weight.. dont we all, but my friends think that i should just go to the gym and the weight should just drop off, but it  doesnt. i've joined the belly buddies thread and have found a pcos budy the same weight as me and we are going to try and do it together.
i am convinced that if i can loose even a tiny bit of weight then our chances of concieving will be increased.
all of your other pcos symptoms can be helped with complimentary therapies and herbs if you're interested.. it may be worth a look on the complimentaries thread. I have reflexology and accupuncture which i find help immensely and have been told they hold the pcos at bay.
My cycle was ok before but accupuncture has been shown to realy help improve it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi sicknote,

First of all Good Luck with trying to lose weight. I haven't been dieting at all on Metformin which i more than likely why i havent lost any weight. I am quite overweight as im 5ft 4 and weight 14st 2. But my gynae didnt make a big issue of it so im not too worried at the moment. I would love to lose weight though now coz im going on holidays in June and i have never been this big before and cant get used to the lumps and bumps everywhere.  :mad:

When i have the Lap on 5/4/05 it will be about 2/3 days before AF is due next - will they be able to do it then. I have rung the hospital and they said if im bleeding they wont do it but didnt mention anything about being due on?? I am a right wimp when it comes to pain (i fainted having my first filling the other day) so im not looking forward to it to be honest.

I am lucky that i dont suffer with acne but my sil who has pcos does get it so i know what its like - Im glad yours is getting better now! I do however know what the problem with excess hair is like - I feel and look like a man and i dont know what to do. Do you suffer with this sicknote, if so, how do you help it???

Nic
xxx

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Nic i've not had the hair thing so cant help there, but i have heard that weight loss and diathermy can alleviate the symptoms.
I thgink the hospitals will only not operate if you're bleeding so you should be fine, it maqy just encourage af to apear earlier thats all.

TTFN
Ju xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.