Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
thought I'd start a new thread here, so that those not going to Barcelona don't get bombarded with more Barcelona facts, and so that it can all be kept here for people to look up easily.  I am going to cut and paste my info I put on the abroadies thread onto here. Hoping others will add and do the same, so that we can help people still to go out there.
Hope this works for people !!!!  :)
Bluebellxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is my accommodation info:

1.  Hostal Goya.  FANTASTIC place, but only if you get one of the new ensuite rooms in the new bit ay the back overlooking the courtyard terrace.  Type the name into a search and the website comes up.  It is really contemporary, clean, peaceful and big, big lovely rooms. 

2.  Pensio 2000:  www.pensio2000.com  It's in the Born area.  It's on the Time Out website. We stayed here when we went for our first trip, but not for the treatment.    It is pretty basic, but includees breakfast and is run by a really nice family.  Again like many Barcelona places, it depends which room you get, and I think they only really have one really nice room (the one we had), which is the ensuite double overlooking the Palau de Musica Catalan.  It was clean, nice and cheap, but probably no good for when you are having treatment and need your beauty sleep, as it was noisy in the early morning (bin lorries etc).

3.  Hotel Banys Orientalis.  This looks loooooovely.  Very trendy ! We have never stayed there, because it has always been full at short notice, but you are going at a less busy time than us.  It has it's own website .. just type in the name.  It is also in the Born (my favourite area), and also in the Time Out Guide. 

4.  Hotel Balmes Tel 934 511 914. It probably has a website too.  We got this out of the Rough Guide, and stayed there as a last resort when we were having treatment, as we couldn't find anywhere else.  It IS your Novotel type place, but it is in the Eixample (mostly old buildings), and our room was so peaceful, which is just what we needed. It was £50 a night each, but the room was massive, had a fridge, bar, TV etc, and overlooked the pool and garden at the back (you need to ask for one of those rooms, but there are loads as it is quite a big hotel).  It wasn't the sort of place I would EVER normally stay, but we had to change our criteria for treatment.

5. Pension Francia, Carrer Rera Palau, in the Born. Tel 933190376 (also in Time Out Guide). We stayed here a few years ago pre IVF.  It's dead cheap, dead basic, but was really quiet as it's in a quiet alley, and was really clean and had a brand new en suite bathroom.

6.  There is a 3 star hotel, a bit modern and characterless, but nice, called Hotel Catalonia Princesa, on Carrer del Rec Comtal in the north east of the Born.  We went there to see if they had rooms, but they were booked.  It was bit like Hotel Balmes, but nicer looking.  Sorry, very vague (no contact detail I'm afraid), but if you got a map from the toursit office with hotels on it, it is on there.  It did seem really nice for a modern hotel, all clean and safe and spacious and on a quiet street away from all the hustle and bustle.

I think the important thing is that Barcelona is a party city !  Many of the old hotels with character tend to be noisy.  It also seems to be the norm that they have such a variation in rooms, from lovely big bright airy ones to tiny, stuffy, windowless dark boxes, so you need to be a bit careful.  Before we even knew we were going to have treatment in Barc., we went there for a w/e, stayed in a noisy place but didn't give a sh*t, because we were up all night doing the bars and tapas etc.  Treatment is different though !  We would never nornally stay in a modern hotel, but maybe you need to to get the peace.

Oh, one bar I must recommend though, for when you are still drinking ion your first visit, is El Xampanayet, 22 Carrier Montcada (in the Born).  It's a great little cava bar with loads of character and great tapas !

Have you bought the Rough Guide ?  It is really good for restaurants etc etc.

Hope that helps for the other end of the market, ie cheap to mid range !!!!!
Love to all,
Bluebell xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have been to Barcelona 3 times this year!

First time - May - we stayed at City Senator Hotel, Via Agusta,  I would not recommend this hotel.  It was very basic and clean and breakfast was fine, but it had wooden floors and you could hear the people in the room above walking back and forth, also the room decor was depressing and drab and we had a very squeeky bed.

Second Time-  July - we stayed at the Casa Fuster Hotel in Passige de Gracia.  I would recommend this hotel to anyone, decor was a cross between Art Deco and Gothic, lots of big drapes and cushions, very comfortable especially if you are resting after your transfer.  They have a lovley roof terrace that looks out over the city and plunge pool.  After my ET I rested on a sun longer under a big umbrella for the afternoon, sheer bliss, nice friendly attentive staff.

Third Time - September- We stayed at the Juan Carlos Rey.  Huge hotel, lots of bussiness conferences going on, very modern amazing buliding, a few boutique shops in the foyer.  I found the hotel a bit cold, especially sitting in the foyer- wish I had brought a cardie or shawl.  Service was a bit slow and a bit impersonal.  Best bit was the Spa, I recovered from my transfer under an umbrella on a sun longer by the pool again, whilst Dh had a swim, sauna and massage.   

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi Clara,

I just noticed your question about hotels in Barcelona (I'm dreadfully slow at all this!), so I thought I'd tell you about the 3 different hotels we have stayed in.

I mainly wanted a decent size room (if I was going to spend all day after the transfer on the bed, I wanted to be in nice surroundings!), a restaurant (so I didn't have far to go for my dinner in the evening !), and room service (for lunch!).

The first one we stayed in  (July), was called Hotel Vincci con del Mar, and we stayed in a junior suite. This was a fabulous spacious room(s), even had 2 bathrooms! There was also a rooftop swimming pool, where I spent some of my time relaxing - rude not to, really! Restaurant nice, room service adequate. The only drawback was its location, not in the centre, and not very close to anywhere - not a million miles from the beach, but not that close either. This wasn't too much of a problem, as we had decided to get taxis everywhere anyway, not too much exertion for me! Also, we got it at a discounted rate, I think it is dearer now!

In August we decided to be close to the beach, ie right opposite it! We stayed in the Atenea Mar Hotel. Room was fine, much smaller than before, but not too bad.(ordinary double room). Restaurant lovely, room sevice ok. Location was still out of the centre, but beach was fantastic, clean, safe, loads of facilities inc. loos, showers, cafes etc. Not too far from Olympic Port area, where there are loads of bars and restaurants etc.

This last time (September) we went to Hotel Rey Juan Carlos I - five star, a bit of luxury! Close to IM's new location, although still got a taxi! Fab hotel, bit expensive obviously. Great room, great restaurants, great room service. Got its own outdoor swimming pools and sun loungers, gym for DH if he's into that sort of thing (mine most definitely isn't, bless him!). Also has a spa, which I noticed offered acupuncture. I didn't try it, but useful to know for next time (if there is a next time).

By the way, the new IM location has a beauty centre, called O2, right next door, which  offers acupuncture,reflexology and shiatsu as some of its treatments.

Anyway, hope this is of some use, sorry to rattle on, believe me I talk like this too! Just wish I could type as fast as I talk!

to everyone,

ladyblue
    x

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am cutting and pasting in Iain's experiences .... hope you don't mind Iain !! Bluebell xx

When we went for our consultation in July we stayed one night in Hotel Silken. Address C/Sant Gervasi de Cassoles 26. This was a lovely 3* hotel. Very clean and spacious room. Staff very friendly. Cost was £67 for double room. Silken is a group and probably have other hotels. I can only vouch for this one.

The one we've just come back from is Hotel Laietana Palace. Address Via Laietana 17.
This is a so called 4* hotel. Tiny room, disgusting bathroom (black mould round the pathseal, screws hanging out the bath panel), dirty scuffed walls, very noisy and lots of other examples of poor service.
We asked for another room only to be shown an identical room 2 floors up!!
This cost over £800 for 6 nights - no breakfast. DON'T GO NEAR IT !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hi - we came back from appt at IM barcelona today
we stayed at Hotel Apsis Atrium on Via Gran Cortes catalanya
the hotel was four star and was quite modern - it had internet/TV iron, safe and hairdyer in the room. The facilities were indoor swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi, restaurant
it cost 420E for three nights not including breakfast
Its main advantage was that it was sound proofed and very clean with central location - about 10 mins walk to playa catalunya and las ramblas etc - and lots of shops and cafes near by. The staff were very friendly and helpful
the disdvantages were the breakfast was expensive and there was no tea or coffee facilities in the room
The metro is also very near and its about 10 mins by taxi to the bus station
Caseyx

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hi all.  We stayed in the Condes de Barcelona Hotel the 2nd time we went to Barcelona which was very nice and clean as well as being central.  4 star.  Food was very good (after ET we had room service, which was great!)  Bathrooms are luxurious and clean too.  It's situated about 10 mins walk north of La Rambla so it's very central.  Only thing was the price but this may have been because it was a bank holiday weekend, no other hotels had space and there were 2 national events on there at the time.  It was £450 for 4 nights without brekkie!  More to the point, they INTERNET connection in the room .........so I could email all my mates on FF!!!! ;D  It may be cheaper at other times of the year.

First apartment we used was lovely and I can't find the hotel link but still looking.  xxxx

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
I have made this topic 'sticky' so it stays at the top of the Board and is easier to find :)

Please do keep adding to it if you have stayed in Barcelona so others can draw on your experience :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I can recommend two hotels- Hotel Amister on Avenida Roma, and Hotel Nunez Urgell on Compte D'Urgell.  The Amister is an arty hotel and is very nice with huge beds and great room service.  The other is a more business like hotel, but is comfortable and has free internet access.  In both hotels, best to ask for rooms at the back, as the roads can be noisy- something which affects most of Barcelona!  Both can be booked on the Expedia website. They are situated in the Eixample area which is a short taxi ride from IVIB.

love,

roze xxx

·
Registered
98 Posts
Could someone kindly tell me the name of the clinic in Barcelona - I am looking into using donor eggs :'(

Regards

Plurps

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plurps, there are 2 clinics in Barcelona.  One is Instituto Marquez, and the other is IVI Barcelona.  I went to IVI.  Look up their website  ..  www.ivi.es
This is the main website for all IVI clinics in Spain (and there are quite a few), but there are links to contact details of individual clinics.
Sorry to see the tears at going for donor eggs !  I hope, like many of us on here, you will find it a very positive experience and will end up with smiles instead !!  Welcome to abroadies.

Bluebell xx

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have recently been out to Barcelona for treatment at the IM and stayed at a great hotel called Hotel 1898 ... located at Las Ramblas, opposite the Meridian Hotel.  It is brand new, just opened last November, and the rooms and facilities are very good.  I got a good deal on direct.com (I think that's that the website name) but you could go on to the trip.advisor website and they look for the best deals for you.  The reason we went with direct.com is because they also got breakfast included in the price.  Isn't wasn't cheap, cheap but it was exactly what we wanted as it had it's own spa facilities which meant that the other half could go for a swim, work-out and massage whilst I rested upstairs in bed with room service!!

Hope this is helpful.

All the best to all of you.

Kayse

·
Registered
42 Posts
hello all  we are just back form Barcelona  ^reiki^ we enjoyed our stay in the Abba gardens hotel  (16 euros by taxi from the airport in barcelona )which is 2km away from the clinic (cost 8 Euro's by taxi )and went for our first appointment at IVI which went really well  i am pleased to say  any questions are welcomed as it is still very fresh in my mind . The clinic is a refreshing change to that of any British clinics i have been in and the staff even seem interested  which helped us a lot. we got all our drugs from the pharmacy over the road from the clinic without any hassle ata all and it cost around 470 euro's  thanks to this web site i/we have now got the opportunity to live towards our dream  ;D ;D ::)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello abroadies :)

When I was deciding where to go I researched going to Barcelona because my husband is from near there and his cousin (who was lucky first time round with them) recommended a good clinic called Clinica Dexeus. They have English on their website:
http://www.dexeus.com/eng/conte/pacien0.asp?codigo=MVIS&Nivel=RC&Submenu=RC13&Categoria=RC013&Idioma=ENG&Catcon=B1

My hubby reckons it is where all the stars and politicians go for treatment so has an excellent reputation. I contacted IM and Dexeus and both sent good email answers but neither provide success rates. I didn't know about this website then so, as we live in England (Canterbury), we went to The Lister - recommended by an embryologist who is a friend of a friend. I am on my first attempt at IVF/ICSI there and at 41 going on 42 time is running out......!

If this doesn't work (and I am hoping madly it does) we will go to Clinica Dexeus next as we are moving back to near Barcelona in June.

Does anyone know success rate figures for the clinics in Bcn?

Re accommodation, I can help anyone going as I lived there two and a half years. There are some good recommendations already on here. Another good hotel is The Atrium Palace just off Paseo de Gracia on Gran Via. It has a pool and nice rooms and best of all it's quiet. There is a restaurant downstairs and a bar so no need to move much. Another option is apartments - there are lots of websites for this but I could recommend one or two if anyone's interested.

Runetto

Moderators Note: This post contains an unconfirmed link and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.UK or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi girls,

I hate lifts and wonder if anyone knows if there are stairs you can use instead at this hotel!!

Mad I know - but that's me unfortunately!!  (Extremely terrified of lifts!!)

thanks girls/guys
Love gill xo

·
Registered
26 Posts
We just went to Barca and stayed at the Hotel Diplomatic in the Eixample, one block from Passeig de Gracia and a tube stop.  We went to IM on the tube directly from our hotel and it took about 35 minutes, it's a 5 min walk uphill from the metro entrance.

Hotel Diplomatic was great, quiet and peaceful and lovely rooms, we got it for £85 a night on Hotelopia and you could get breakfast easily on Passeig de Gracia for a few Euros.  Lots of easy tapas chains nearl=by for eating on a night as well

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi
I am completely new to this website and have never even used a chat room before .. am going to Cefer in BCN for IVF treatment soon. I am thinking of hiring a flat..Am a bit scared about it all. ..Has anyone been to Cefer for treatment??
Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Bluebell,

Thanks so much for the hotel recommendations, we have booked Hotel Banys Orientalis for our visit to IM in June and after all the stress of the last 5 tx cycles in UK I am so excited to be going and staying in such a beautiful looking place. Some small treat under very stressful circumstances, it couldn't be better.

So thanks, all this sort of info is really useful, anything to make a bad experience better.

I'll be sure to let you all know how it is, but like you say, website looks amazing so big thank you - I'm actually looking forward to going  ^idiot^ ^daisy^ ^idiot^ ^daisy^

Cammycupcake x

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dear Abroadies,

Wanted to thank you to all of you with all this info on BCN
Its REALLY helpful..
Wish i'd found this website when I first started..!!

I've looked on some of the websites mentioned here but all the flats seem to be booked up for end of  may - beginning june...

Will try expedia cuz can't believe everything is booked up so soon.....

Was hoping to get a flat so I could do my own thing - have a bit of something to eat when I fancy etc and also thought it might be cheaper if I need to stay for a couple of weeks - than say a hotel.. but open to suggestions..

Hope no-one minds me asking questions again - certainly don't want to be a pest or barge in or anything..

Good luck to everyone..

xxx atti

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello all
long time no see i have been far too busy for my own good recently , i do hope (not having read all the threads yet) that everyone is doing ok and wish all of you about to start thie journey all the best of luck. me and my dw are due to go to barcelona very shortly ....just waiting for the call and will be looking for accomodation so if anyone can advise some self catering in the central parts would be good . we have been on this little conveyer belt for a little while yet and the big crunch time is heading our way . wish us luck i really do hope it works first time (i know it might be too much to expect but one can only hope ) i suppose it is a taste of what is to come should my dw get pg . any way i'll be back
will start reading to get up to date with you all .
stevie1

1 - 20 of 58 Posts