Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for a 13 month old to not want cuddles or affection? My wee man has never ever been a baby that could be consoled by a cuddle and will normally now push away if you try to get affectionate. Today we went to a music group and every child in the place was happily sat on their mums knee doing the singing and bouncing. My boy was arching his back and yelping to get off and go play. It just seemed he was the only one like this. He will sit happily cuddled in when having his bottle but thats it - try cuddles any other time and i pretty much get a smack.

Normal or not??

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
In my limited experience normal for some... Alex has never been affectionate, I used to sit and stare in awe at the cuddly babies in the groups we attended, I never had any of it... its just his way, he's far to concerned with whats going on in the world to have time for cuddles  ;D

Here you go, i'll send you some  ^hugme^  :)

Bev xx

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bev xxx

Just worried that it was not "normal". Thanks for keeping me sane! Its hard work being a mum eh!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Very hard work, certainly the hardest 'job' i've ever had... all the LO's are different hun...  ^hugme^

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
Hiya

As Bev said all little ones are different :) just shows that he is interested in the world around him and that cant be a bad thing :)

x

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Oh yeah, I used to have the same thing with Eddie.  In fact it's only been in the last few weeks that he's become so much more affectionate and I think it's to do with him understanding and being able to communicate more.  I also had the thing where I'd take him to a baby group and be embarrassed by the fact that he was the only child unwilling to sit with me, was screaming and arching uncontrollably, while all the others sat with their mums like little angels. 

They really are all different, my eldest was and is the complete opposite - he'll just sit with me like a little angel (while his brother's off creating merry hell  ;D).

I'm sure your little boy will become more affectionate and a little easier soon hun.  I know it can be quite hard to bear sometimes. ^hugme^

Pet x

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
N just won't sit still long enough for a cuddle. He comes up on my lap for milk & to watch ITNG but that's it! I try to snuggle but he just pushes me away, sometimes he will kiss me goodnight but usually if I ask for a kiss he laughs & runs off. He does like a cuddle but only on his terms!

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
J was exactly the same which made me glad I'd taken advantage of all the cuddles when he was a baby, including cuddling him to sleep and everything else you aren't meant to do!! It's probably only the last 5/6 months I've noticed a change but he's definitely more affectionate now and gives the best cuddles!!

He's also never been one to sit on my lap at groups but I have to say that has never bothered me and I didn't ever force him to - if anything I was pleased he had a bit of character, though I'm not sure the other mum's were. ;D ;D

Just to back up the "every child is different", M is the complete opposite and very affectionate and cuddly.

Chux xx

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Hi Jess,

Ella much rather get off my lap now and go and play or look about. She likes a cuddle with her bottle still.
Also, if my mum cuddles her she goes to sleep, if i try it she arches her back and gets off of me! nice eh?!

J x

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi my Kieran had never been one for cuddles, even when he'd been hurt he would rather comfort himself.  Only about a month ago, my one day off in the week on a Friday I take him to Gym Tots and theres a 5 minute sing song at the end where all the parents sit with their children (or on their laps) and do song time.  Kieran got off from sitting next to me and went and sat next to the lady in charge, gutted, my only time I can take him to a group as I work and he didn't even want to sit next to me. 

Anyway, just lately he has been more cuddly, usually when it suits him.  Actually I do sometimes get kisses now when I ask for them, he definitely has got more effectionate lately.  Strange he will give loads of kisses to his cuddly toys and children, but not as willing to adults.  Its really sweet as he will go up to the cat and give him a kiss. 

Just spent a week on holiday with dh and mil and it was lovely, he only wanted me all the time.

Shazznewman

1 - 10 of 10 Posts