Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.1%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered as I am now a non smoker and have been since 2am 1st Jan 2005. I'd given up many ways before, only to go back but this time I did it with a nicotine inhaler.  Just thought the poll would help others to see who did what and how for how long, etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I used patches, although only for 2 weeks until I got over what to do with my hands!...then I just woke up and decided I wanted to stop then and there...

I must admit I did suffer night sweats and withdrawals at night, but that last around 6 days and pulled myself through.....it was 6 months before I stopped having cravings all together which after smoking for 15 years was really good.

I have been *** free for 18 months Saturday!

Natsxx

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi

I gave up using Alan Carr's Easy way to stop smoking.  I had tried hundreds of things, acupuncture, hypnotherapy, patches etc.  I have now been *** free since 2nd January 2005 (I still had a packet of **** left on 1st so couldnt start my New Years resolution until 2nd! ;D)

Bernice

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi ladies
Thanks for putting up this poll MrsNikki it's very helpful.
I'm posting to see if any of you would help me with an article I'm writing for FF's sister site, Infertile World.

If anyone has successfully given up or is still trying, and doesn't mind talking publicly about their experiences, please IM me and I will send you a few questions.  It shouldn't take long to do and I can keep you anonymous if you want!

As an ex smoker myself - only managed to give up completely for my last ICSI, I know how hard it is and I wish you all the best of luck.

Thanks
Claire xx

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Claire

Please feel free to contact me...I am a non smoker now and have been for 18 months!
Am willing to help if it encourages others to give it a good old try!

Natsxx

·
Registered
36 Posts
I gave up smoking 2 years ago having smoked for 26 years - nicotene tablets for 2 months followed by complete withdrawal.  For several months I used ordinary sugar free chewing gum (not brilliant for ttc because of aspartame content - but still better than the cigarettes) I also did iyengar yoga a few times a week which helped me to focus on something else. 

At the start every day was appalling, but I knew that I had to give  up  one day and couldn''t bear the thought of having to going through the same again.  As days passed this was the most effective deterrent - since it seemed a shame to waste the time I'd managed to stay off them.

I put on about 5lbs over 3 months - but managed to lose this by dieting for a couple of weeks - I am now lighter than I was when I smoked and have so much more energy. And I the craving went after only a few weeks...

Hope this helps others.

·
Registered
76 Posts
hi last year i miscarried i was smoking between five and eight a day i miscarried at 14 weeks. i felt really bad and dicided i would quit before trying again as the exsperiance was horrible. i took nicotine patches for three weeks then i kept forgetting to put them on or they would fall of a few weeks later found out i was pregnant and that was it no more patches and no more ciggarettes i think after the miscarriage it scared me which in turn gave me the will power..
oh my daughter ellie-mae weighed 9lb 20z
good luck to all you that are trying to quit smoking cutting down is better if you cant quit i no its hard
xx

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I gave up through my doctors smoking cesation nurse who was great !!!

I got patches on prescription and saw the nurse every 2 weeks.  I had to blow into a meter to see if I had had a cigarette in between, but this also showed me how my co levels had come down during me not smoking and was a great incentive to carry on !!  The support helped me.

I've been stopped now since March 2002

Good luck to everyone trying to stop.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
I gave up at the start of my first IVF in August, having smoked for over twenty years.

I was coming over to the UK for the weekend and decided to board the plane as a smoker and leave it as a non smoker.  I haven't touched a cigarette since!

Day 4-6 were truly awful with my mind palying tricks all the time but I managed to get through them and it got easier and easier as the days went on.

I've now been a non-smoker for nearly two and a half months and I feel fantastic, full of energy, my skin's better and what's more I don't stink of smoke all the time.

I really, really hope everyone who is wanting to give up manages to crack the habit.  Please have faith that you can do it, just keep persevering and one day it will click.

I wish you all the very best of luck
Lots of love
Allison xxxx

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi all,

I had been smoking since about the age of 13 (never realised until now, how long it really was) 20yrs.  I have given up twice during pregnancy and started smokinng again after.  I gave up again on non smoking day, march 9th 2005, but only lasted a few weeks.  But since I am due to start IVF and realise my chances of a BFP willbe increased if I quit.  I gave up on 16th Oct. Starting using the lowest strength patches.  Quit those  after one week and have been nicotine free since.  I relapsed on day due to stress, had 3 puffs and had to throw it, it was so vile.  DH is a much heavier smoker than I was. And he always said he would not give up (been smoking a long time too), but this monday he quit, or should I say he tried.  He went a whole day without and using the patch. He as been a nightmare to live with  ;D.  I was like a bear with a sore head when I quit, he is the opposite, he seems bored and due to this he has ben irritating, ie little thing like doing irritating things he knows you don't like ie poking me (trvia I know, but whenit is constant for about 10 mins its irritating  ^bigbad^) He then smoked next day, went another day without, then smoked the next day. I would not stay he has quit but he has def cut down a hell of a lot which is brill and i am soooo proud!

Debs

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hello all,
          I weaned myself off the ciggies. I went from smoking normal strength cigs to smoking 'lights', i smoked these for 2 weeks. I then changed from 'lights' to 'ultra lights/fine' for another 2 weeks after which i quit. I quit on the 25th October. I did not feel that there was such a big 'come down' from the nicotine as i had experienced on previous attempt. I had a couple of cravings in the first few days, after which i never missed them. I fell over breaking my wrist and bashed myself up a bit on Thursday ( i was sober as a judge too so i felt really stupid) and had a craving for a ciggie when i left the hospital after being treated and plastered up, but i am soooo pleased to say that i didn't give in. I believe i will never smoke again, i feel the benefits of not having a polluted body already and these benefits will only increase in time not to mention the amount of money not being wasted. If i had continued to smoke for another 20 years at the rate of 20 a day I'd have spent around £35,000 ( at todays prices). It sickens me to think that i had almost spent this much in the 17 years before my quit day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello all,

I HAD being smoking for 14 yrs @ 12 sticks a day max!!! In this part of the world that's quite an age and a lot of ciggies. Also have being giving up on and off for 6yrs too.

I started my IVF process in March smoking 4 sticks a day on the average with no beer but spirits for good measure (to me that was a great sacrifice) but i did not respond to FSH at all, i guess that was the 1st awakening call, i started my second cycle with a few days break and managed to do 7 sticks in 7 days with no alchohol at all!

I had my last *** some 36hrs ago, 24hrs before my ET and i'm looking forward to another 24hrs without the dreaded stick! One day @ time, that's my trade secret. Even more with two embies on board, i keep reminding myself that my babies deserve to be in best health!!!

Even if we give in at some point, we'll look forward to the next 24hrs. I hope we all make a success of giving up 4 good.

All the best everyone.

xxx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.