Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is the big day!

Kaydn is being potty trained. I put him straight into pants this morning, after breakfast he sat in his bean bag chair to watch a bit of Beebies & happily weed in his pants  ::)

Since then he has been naked from the waist down, the next 4 times he weed he made no attempt to use the potty & although he would sit on the potty & was dying for a poo (TMI!) he wouldn't 'let go'  :-[

I'm pleased to report he has now done 1 proper wee in the potty & at least 3 trickles, (some half in the potty, half on the floor  :)), but where do I go from here?

Is it ok to put a nappy on him now after dinner, as it's unlikely he'll poo in the potty today & I think he really wants to go, or do I just put the nappy on at bedtime & keep it off all other times from here on in, starting as I mean to go on?

DH thinks we should do it all slowly & gently lead him into it, whereas I'm thinking I've started & I don't want to confuse matters by having him half in nappies & half in pants.

Please help! It's like weaning all over again!  ;D

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hiya
The way we did it was to have him in pants at home in the day and leave the potty out for him. Also kept sitting him on the potty and saying wee wee at regular intervals. Even if he insisted he didn't need one.
Pooing is a completely different matter and even now he still mostly poos in the morning in his nappy before he gets up! It sounds like he will prob wait until he has his nappy on to poo.
I would concentrate on the wee firstly and worry about the other later ;)

Just keep reminding him he has pants on and not a nappy so needs to use the potty .
^goodluck^

x

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Suzie.

To be honest I now think he isn't quite ready so am going to keep his nappy off in the mornings, when we are at home & remind him to use the potty & then at other intervals use pull up nappies.

I don't think he's going to do it in a short time as I had hoped as he doesn't seem to know he's going to wee until it has already started coming out.

I hope by that continuing to encourage the use of his potty at weekends & evenings after nursery he'll have picked it up within the next month or so.

xx

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
Thats probably a good idea :) We tried K just before christmas and he wasnt ready so waited a little while and tried again when he was ready

x

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi,

Just because he's had lots of accidents today, it doesn't mean he's not ready  :) You need to be prepared and expect accidents in the first few days - it's something new he has to learn. I think with potty training you have to go for it 100% or it just becomes confusing for them.

Personally, I would give it a few more days before throwing in the towel. Put him into pants when you get him dressed and then sit him on the potty about every 15/20 mins whether he wants to do a wee/poo or not and try and get him to stay there 5/10 mins each time. When we did H, we put the potty in the lounge in front of the tv so that we had a chance to make him sit there. Of course there were accidents on the 1st day and I think day 2 was worse. But by days 3 & 4 it just seemed to click and there was no looking back  :)

I think to make it more likely to work, you need to pick a time when you are going to be at home for at least 3 or 4 days in a row. I would keep him in pants until you get him ready for bed in the evening as pull up pants will just confuse things  :)

We used Gina Fords potty training in a week book and Henry certainly was  :)

Good luck

S xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts