Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok girls i know this is a personal question but hey we have talked about much more personal things.

We have now paid for

2 x IVF

1 x FET

We have been very lucky and had 2 lots of drugs funded by the gp.

We had a a grand from my parents on our first go that was money left by my nan when she passed and also had crimbo/birthday presents as money

we have remortgaged once for the last cycle and the ivf and fet before that were paid on credit card so this was paid off when we remortaged.

Now i am going without everything and i know that sounds extreme but its true and im also working extra hours and saving really hard. Luke pays if we go out anywhere and thats rare now.

We have gone without lots of things over the last few years and haven't had a holiday since out honeymoon, we do go off drifting and things but its not the same as going to some hot and relaxing with your other half.

I hate the money worries that go with treatment and from the money i have spent i have nothing to show just a longer sig on here and heartache.

I hope that i get the dream before money stops us trying saying that i would beg borrow and steal for this girls.

maybe 6th time lucky for me ;D

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
For us it was something we took into account when we bought our house and we worked out the mortgage so that some of the profit from my flat was kept in reserve for tx.  Whether I will be able to accept and stop when that fund runs dry is another matter though and I don't know where any further money would come from then....I guess I would ask mummy and daddy if I honestly felt I still had a chance of success at that stage.  :-\

·
Premium Member
19,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i hate to ask but have you put alot away

i will always be 100% honest with you girls and at the moment i have 3550 saved, thats is 800 left from last cycle, 600 from selling my motorbike and the rest is me working hard and saving.

it really hard for me to see how much we are spending when i see nice things i want but this is so much different to wanting something nice like a new car, its changed your whole life forever

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Yeah, a fair amount.  Should be enough for 3 x DIUI and at least 2 x DIVF with possible frosty transfers (if I had a good response).  Sad thing is, we need the money for new windows, probably a new car sooner or later (as both are fairly old now) not to mention any kind of holiday etc.  One of us needs a pay rise and soon!  :-\  I considering setting up a standing order to start boosting the fund and being very careful about what I spend over the coming months.  Horrible to have to think like that but I want this more than anything, it's so important.  :'(

·
Premium Member
19,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i really wish i had started saving years ago now i have to save, something somewhere tells me i can not give up

money is a massive massive issue for us but i have to say there are people that are worst off than us so in a way we are luck

i think the time it gets passed the 10k mark i will get scared, i try never to add it all up as that scares me

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Seems so unfair too - I mean obviously my circumstances are very different but for you - it's not your fault you have had health issues that mean you need tx to achieve something which is a natural longing for so many women.  :(

·
Premium Member
19,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what i hate more than anything is failing and then worrying about when/if we can go again that is partly why we had a break this time so we could put a little bit away so at least something is there if we fail

does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Total sense - that was why I had my meltdown this time.  Financially we were still OK to hit the next cycle but the uncertainty surrounding the blob and the future implication practically tore me apart.  In all of this we are constantly seeking hope - whether it be the next scan, the test date, the next cycle and if that is taken away, it's hell.  :(

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
For us Kara, we have saved, which isn't going to last forever ... not at roughly £4.5K a shot. 

We've spent on our first and second cycles: £3,543 and thankfully the ICSI was NHS

This cycle the drugs were more expensive, even though I bought them direct but ended up buying more than I had to.  So far I've spent £1,341 on drugs and know I will probably have to buy more Puregon next week and gestone.   So with the ICSI cost this cycle is going to be about £5,000.

It is very hard, I've changed my job to cope with the process but now I can't save anything.

·
Premium Member
19,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
omg don't add it up thats too scary lol

i think if the money element wasn't there i would be fine as im so used to cycling now , it part of my life

·
Premium Member
19,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you know me i always have to ask the question

im not gona add mine up sod it lol

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Kara.. well we are only just paying for our 1st ICSI this time, as last was NHS, we are putting this on an interest free credit card, not to use the little we have saved, as we will pay that off because we know we HAVE to or be charged, whereas with the savings it would be slow to replace, and we dont have that much saved, we have always lived life the the full, and once we had a couple of grand have taken off away, or bought something, or done the garden etc.. so we have not been good on the savings .. but to be honest I am glad because if we had 15k in the bank it would be tempting to spend it all on tx and have missed out on so much ... we dont plan having another go after this, go onto adoption, but not saying for certain yet as who knows... and to add fuel to this we are off to buy a new tv for our bedroom tomorrow for me after my ET (as I am hoping to get that far this time !!)

Sorry i have waffled now .... but thats me lol x

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Hi Kara
Had to chirp in on this, so far a scaringly £50,000 ^howmuch^ but last and 10th attempt in July then will throw in the towel, we have remortgaged, saved, busted our guts out-but all in the process of learning  ;D of what we both crave  ^storkgirl^

Good luck to everyone  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Larkles
xx

·
Registered
447 Posts
^scared^ Larkles - Wow, i think Kara has the right idea - don't add up the cost! LOL Good luck for your tx in July ^reiki^. My first house i bought didn't cost that much!

Kara -well done on your savings - 'save' is sadly a four letter word in my vocabulary ;D I'm glad you started this thread Kara as i've been thinking about it myself. The few people who know of our situation seem a bit shocked when i mention the money worry, they say, ''well it'll be worth it in the end'' Which if you get a ^BFP^ then of course it's more than worth any money you've spent - and i feel guilty mentioning the cost of tx - but it is a huge worry. I know it's going to really affect me if the tx doesn't work as i'll be worrying about what happens next.

As you know, i am self funding (due to my age denial ;D) So, when i found out in March that i would be going down this bumpy road of IVF i obviously looked up the costs. I'm pretty sure that we'll have to have ICSI, which of course it that little bit more expensive. Dp and i agreed that we would have one tx cycle and that's all. But once we start, i'm afraid that i will have this overwelming desire to continue with another tx (should i need it of course!) We don't live a frivolous lifestyle by any stretch of the imagination, and in the 8 years we've been together we've only had 4 holidays - like with everyone, our wages seem to disappear on everyday living and keeping a house and 2 cars.

It's a bit of a double whammy really isn't it - not only do we have a hard time getting what most people find so easy to do - we have the stress of the money side of it too ^bigbad^ Maybe i need to get an additional job :eek: No, definately not -i've just talked myself out of that one! I'll have to consult with you ladies about where to get drugs for tx from. Should i not get them at the clinic?

Anyway ladies, apologies for the long post - just remember, life is still for living and you should all still try and have a few little treats in life - even if it's just a meal, the cinema or a day out now and again - we have to stay sane ^idiot^

Moth x

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Good thread Kara.

We've been on the IVF NHS list but as I didn't produce enough follicles I was converted to IUI. When I checked with Debbie she said that as it was a clinical decision it won't affect our free IVF go.
Therefore now that the IUI was a BFN it's onto the free IVF in July/August.

Apart from that we have set aside since last summer some of my bonus (enough for an IUI probably £1200 ish) plus I'm expecting this summers bonus to be almost enough for an IVF (almost £4k I hope) should we need it.
Beyond that who knows.... DH is ultra cautious with money and won't let us spend unless we have it saved (very sensible but bit boring as I'm def more inclined just to spend and worry later, lol).  We haven't yet had the conversation about how many tx's we would do.  If we carried on beyond these 3 (above) then I guess we could raise the money. Or wait for next year's bonus but I'll be 35 later this year.

Luckily I have a really good job but on the downside it's pretty stressful especially during tx and the issues DH & I had a few months back.  I also have to do quite a lot of travelling & overnight stays which I don't really enjoy.  I would love to get pg and go part time or get a new less stressful job - well, I can hope  ^reiki^

Fingers crossed we'll all succeed on our next tx cycles and won't need to worry about the cash!! 

·
Registered
2,828 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Moth said:
^scared^
'save' is sadly a four letter word in my vocabulary ;D
Moth x
That made me ;D Moth because it could have been me!
We have borrowed and credit carded our first go, this time i'm selling my endwoment - we had intended to do the same as cookie, keep back some csh from our flat sale, but of course when that fell through we had to get the money from somewhere????????
But I couldn't / don't want to add up all the cost - I know larkles we are now where near you!
Wishing you a success with your last attempt............and all you ladies whatever attempt you are on!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I read back over this thread for some tips or inspiraton, just in case I've missed some easier common sense way of raising cash .... nope I hadn't  :)

I'd had 2 cycles when I originally posted here and now after 5 cycles I've almost spent £20K on treatment and the things associated with it, I just wonder where you all are with how you've managed to fund or plan to fund tx.

Is it wiser to keep any savings and put it all on a 0% credit card or not?

·
Premium Member
19,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you could but if you start paying interest use the saving , also make sure they dont charge to pay by credit card too

we had a massive break inbetween our last cycles and i saved like mad and went without everything, all i brought was petrol and the odd meal at the harvester with you girls, it was hard but it was the only thing we could do

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
OMG Andi, £20k is a lot!!

I think we've paid for 1 IUI and 1 IVF out of our 4 cycles.  One was NHS IUI and other NHS IVF.  So we haven't spent that much.  Our next cycle (Donor Egg) will cost 3900 euro.  I have used my last 3 bonus's for tx.  Lucky that I have that option I know. Timing of my bonus in 2010 ( ^pray^ I do well enough at work this year to get a bonus big enough to cover the 3900 Eur) is just a few weeks before the cycle.  Thank god for the 11 month waiting list as we're broke at the moment.

I just hope that all the hard work and hours I have put into work this last 9 months is going to be spent on a worthwhile successful tx next July  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

1 - 20 of 28 Posts