Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...picking a scab? Sorry I know this post doesn't belong here I was just hoping for a few answers first.

DD must have scratched herself in the night on the side of the bridge of her nose. Now it looks like a nasty injury which people ask about because she won't leave it alone and picks at it. (I assume  ???  - part of the problem is that I've never seen her do it.) I'm so gutted as due to the constant re-opening and deepening of it, I'm presuming she'll end up with a scar now on her pretty little face with perfect skin.  :'(  Its been going on for about two weeks. Any tips?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I really hope someone can come up with a good answer  ^hugme^

My little thumb sucker digs his face whilst sucking his thumb and whilst in the past he normally stops and we can get it to heal up with some cream, this time he's been digging for weeks and weeks and it's in an awful mess  :'( I've been using an antibiotic cream to no avail and am now at a complete loss as to what to do next  :-\ He's definitely going to have a nasty scar from this one but I just want some sort of damage limitation  :-[

S x

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh S  ^hugme^  Its awful isn't it. You just wish you could reason with them and get them to understand the consequences.  :(  Where do you get your antibiotic cream? The Dr's? Why isn't it working? I hope you find a way to improve matters.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I probably shouldn't really be using it but it was cream the Dr gave us when he burnt his finger a few months back  :-\  I should really take him to the Dr's to see if there is something else I can use. I would put a plaster over it but I think making it all moist will just make it worse  :(

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I had a friend whos boy scratched his nose when he sucked his thumb. She got him to stop by putting that stuff you get to stop biting nails on his thumb, so he wouldnt suck his thumb. I worked and his nose healed up (not sure if he has a scar)

Sorry not much help if she is doing in without sucking her thumb. Maybe a plaster over night, because its probably then she is doing it would at least stop her doing it then.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jane1604 said:
Sorry not much help if she is doing in without sucking her thumb. Maybe a plaster over night, because its probably then she is doing it would at least stop her doing it then.
Good idea! Why didn't I think of that? ^idiot^ Although I have a feeling my feisty little monkey isn't going to tolerate it but its worth a try. :) Will try just at night as S says, it may be moist otherwise. I would ask the Dr to see if they have anything to suggest S, I think I will too.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hi! No idea on how to get them to stop picking as M does this too. However, IF there is a scar you can get hold of an ointment called Contractubex which honestly works miracles. You do have to let it heal over first as it's no good applying on a scab, but the second you have a fresh scar you can put this stuff on and it really does help.You could apply overnight.
XXX

·
Registered
841 Posts
I was going to suggest a plaste,  It might take longer to heal if covered but at last it wouldn't get worse.  I suppose it depends whether you can get a plaster on it (and whether your LO will let you put on on) only managed to get a plaster on one of my girls once and we had to hold her down and then put tights on her (in August) to stop her ripping it off - they hate them!

I doubt it will scar their skin is so good at healing itself when they are young.  I jabbed A when she was about 3 months old with my finger nail.  I was mortified she might scar but it healed totally within about 5 days.  Amazing.

HJG

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Instead of an actual plaster, why not put a thin piece of gauze on it (and tape it). It will allow the wound to breathe and may not feel so uncomfortable on a little nose! With a dap of antiseptic cream underneath, or not.  :-*  And keep those fingernails well clipped!!  ;) 

fairywings xx

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Mr Bump plasters are the only ones my DS will tolerate!  Boots sell them  ;)

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts
If you wait til they are snoozing before putting the plaster on I tend to get a better result than trying to put it on a wide awake LO  ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was going to suggest novelty plasters as well.  My dd is always saying she has an ouchy and needs a plaster, so she can have a disney princess plaster  ::)

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much for all the plaster tips, I didn't think of novelty ones. Will look out for this Contractubex ointment too if I need it.

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Was going to suggest a plaster too though I think Staly's idea of waiting til asleep is probably best as if it were one of my children, they would take the plaster straight off to pick their scab again!!
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't find the novelty ones stick as well as normal ones  ??? 
Still, it might give her something else to pick at til she falls asleep, J.

My DD sucks her fingers for comfort at night, and one of them went rather sore and cracked. I was horrified to see that she then started to pick the dry skin!!  Her dad is a real picker so I'm not surprised really.  I wanted to put something on to make the skin heal, that wouldn't matter if she sucked it at night, and eventually came up with nipple cream - just thought I'd share in case anyone else has similar issues.

C x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts