Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How late can one ovulate?

Last month on clomid I ovulated day 30 (progesterone day 35 = 33), but this month on clomid I haven't ovulated at all (progesterone days 21, 28 and 35 all <5). It's now day 43 and I had egg-white secretion yesterday so had bms just in case.

*** Is is possible to ov this late? Or, will I now not ovulate again until I take provera to bring on AF, followed by clomid? This is the advice from the clinic.
*** However, it's made me wonder for example, if with irregular cycles and perhaps no AF for say 14 weeks, does that mean you haven't ovulated in between or do you always ovulate 14 days before AF, therefore giving the possibility of having an AF, then nothing for 10 weeks, followed by ov, then AF again 2 weeks later - or doesn't it work like that?
*** Help appreciated as my clinic have said as I haven't had less than 42 days between any two AF's, that I haven't ovulated for 3 years. I'm confused as I thought you always ov'd 14 days before the next.

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Hi Rowena

Not a nurse so read with caution!!

As far as i am aware, a womens always gets her AF exactly 14 after she ovulates.  If you can i wouild keep on having the prog tests done every 7 days so you can then monitor your cycle.  Make of note of your fertile mucus and then see if AF arrives 14 days later.  I used to think i ovulated on day 21 and then have period day 35 whcih was correct  but progesterone levels were 0.9 etc, then after 2 months on metformin went upto 22 and then on clomid went upto 36.  Anything over 30 is considered that you have ovulated.  If you have def ovulated then you will def get your period as when you ovulate your body release the egg which then makes your body produce the progesterone and then is egg not fert then get your period after 14 days therefore i would asume if you have not had your period in 2 week then its a poss that you have not ovulated.

Are you having IUI or just natural attempts plus clomid??

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Hi Rowena

In my case, although I had say 28-30 day cycles I used to ovulate late but have a short 2nd part of my cycle, which I considered to be a post luteal phase defect. So ideally it should be 14 days from ovulation that your next cycle starts or not as this would be optimum time for the egg to be fertilised and implant - shorter than that it doesn't really have too much of a chance - but as with all things to with fertility this isn't set in stone and some people with short second halves of their cycle do get pregnant.

love & hugs

Camilla

1 - 3 of 3 Posts