Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

We've just had our hiospital tour and found out more about the twin policy there. They appear to give epidurals pretty much automatically with twin births in case of needing to convert to a c-section for one or both.

I am not terribly keen on epidural (at the moment, may change when I realise how much it all hurts!  ;D ) and am also concerned it may aggravate the SPD and cause problems there.

I am also now very worried that I may be able to deliver twin 1 vaginally but then have to have a c-section for twin 2, leaving me with the worst of both worlds.

How likely is that?

Am I better to just opt for a c-section so this doesn't happen?

I know no one can see the future or know what will happen in a specific circumstance, but would just like to know  a bit more from those of you who have been there and done that already!

Thanks,

Sal

·
Registered
841 Posts
I was worried but my consultant assured me that it was statistacally "very unlikely".  I never asked for exact figures.

I would say there's certain factors that would contribute eg if one or other is breech or transverse, if there's any history of heartbeat irregularities or blood pressure problems with you.

My hospital's policy was 1 hour pushing for twin 1, 20 mins for twin 2 otherwise I would have to have a C section.  I pushed for 5 hours in all with E and they let me carry on and A followed 40 minutes later as her heartbeat was still good and strong.  As soon as E was born A went transverse and they had to turn her.  I'd had an epidural which definitely was the right thing for me otherwise I would have had to give up I think and let them do the section.

Regards

HJG

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hi Sal,

It was also one of my worries but it is very unusual. I know of a few ladies on the Twinsclub site that have had one baby vaginally and then had a caesarean, but that number is probably in single figures and there are hundreds of people who post there.

Jules

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Sal
I used to be a midwife and practiced for about 8 years in total I saw 2 ladies who had vaginal delivery of twin 1 and c section for twin 2, so not all that common but I decided I wanted elective c/s because when I discussed with obstetriction he said that because I was small 5ft 3in 8 stone and ivf preg my body would have been unlikely to concieve twins naturally so at higher incidence of either emergency section for one or both twins, so that finally made me decide definetly c section in the event my little girl stopped growing so delivered at 34 weeks by section, hope this helps
Annette

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi Sal,

My hospital also recommend an epidural for twin births. I asked that if both twins were head down in the last few weeks whether they would allow me to not have an epidural, and basically they said 'no'.

Twin 1 was head down for the last few weeks, but twin 2 had been breech for a while. My cons was happy for me to try vaginally which and epidural of course.

Both twins were born vaginally with 34 mins between them. I was very grateful to have had the epidural as Lottie was a footling breech and the pediatrician had to feel around quite a lot!

We went to a 'twins night' at our hospital a few months before out two were due, and they said that it was not that common to have one twin vaginally and one by c section. I think in fact they said they had only had one instance over the previous year (its a very big hospital).

Good luck,

Liz

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
my waters were broken at 38+1 as twin 1 had stopped growing.

had ctx for 90mins, pushed for 15, twin  born. Waited for twin 2 (I'd refused a drip/epidural etc)

After 2h had a scan but she was coming feet first, so with gas and air she was turned and I delivered her.

Total labour 6h. Even without an epidural, they could manually turn her.

HTH

xx

G

·
Hi,
Both mine were head down. I was a bit of a wuss as the internal exam hurt so had epidural set up as the midwife didn't reckon I'd cope with just gas and air so I agreed!  Don't knock them, they are very good at pain relief!  The downside is that you can't feel too well to push so I had 3 midwives pushing down on me to assist.
They did increase the amount of epidural drug significantly in case of c-section as Daniel had decided he wasn't going anywhere soon and wasn't in the least bit bothered by it according to the babies' monitors! The obs wanted to try everything possible before a c-section for me and it worked.
According to my consultant, one NVD & 1 c-section is pretty rare - I believe he had only ever done or seen 3 in his whole career and he's a very much in demand consultant.
I found my hospital was not dictatorial at all and I wasn't aware of any policy on twin births, except for the fact I got a midwife with us all the time and a lovely big room to myself afterwards!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I shall talk more with the consultant at the next appointment and see if I can get some sensible answers out of him!!

Sal

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Like Glitter (we had the same consultant) my gynae had seen very few vaginal then section deliveries and I met with the hospitals consultant midwife to discuss my birth plan and not having a routine epidural.  They were supportive but did go through the various scenarios that might occur, I also managed to get them to agree to no routine monitoring, leaving cord to stop pulsing post delivery and as much time as required between birth of twins.  Unfortunately in the end it was a section for me due to T1 engaging breech, the hospital wouldn't allow a breech twin delivery so section it was!

Good luck!
x

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Kabby said:
I also managed to get them to agree to no routine monitoring, leaving cord to stop pulsing post delivery and as much time as required between birth of twins.
I was lucky enough to manage all those, and use of the pool too

xx

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they've flat out refused to consider pool birth, they say that is not hospital policy which is a shame. Will pick my battles though and try to resolve the routine monitoring and epidural thing first.

G

·
Birth pool isn't allowed at our PCT either, it can only be used on a naturally occurring labour with singletons too so if you've been induced, forget it!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi
just to add it makes a big difference if it's your first delivery if you have had previous normal deliveries they are more likely to be flexible, take advice from the medics and midwives as the important thing to remember is that you want to do whats best for the babies.
Annette

·
Registered
461 Posts
Erm hate to put a spanner in the works I know its rare but it does happen TO ME!!!!!!! feel free to Pm me if you wnat the details xx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts