Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Am new to this site, so hoping someone can help.
Brief history. DH and I been TTC for almost 2 years.....having had various test, found out DH has low sperm count so was decided that ICSI was the best route for us.
Started ICSI...despite needle phobia, we managed to do injections etc....all going well and had EC yesterday.
However, a call from the lab this morning shattered my world. Despite 7 mature eggs being collected, and all fertilising overnight, we were advised that because of human error at the lab, none of the embryos can be used for fear of contamination. Apparently the dish used to mix the egg and sperm together had not been in the incubator for the required length of time, and as such, they cannot guarantee the embryos are ok.
As you can imagine, whilst I had prepared for the fact that mother nature may decide that it was not our time, and no eggs may fertilise etc, to be told that they all did but none can be used is awful. DH also produced a sperm sample much better than ever so far!
Now I have to do it all over again......v weepy today as still recovering from EC yesterday too which doesnt help. Dh is upset too.
Does anyone know how long before we can try again? As everything up to this point was doing so well, and its human error at fault, I am naturally keen to get cracking again!

·
Registered
408 Posts
HG - that sounds awful!! Poor you! I guess everyone makes mistakes now and again, but that sounds a particularly stupid one!
Unfortunately you will have to wait for 3 months so that your ovaries have time to recover. After my first ivf I hassled the doc big time to let me get started again immediately. Eventually he said I could if I wanted , but that expereice has shown that unless they have been given time to recover, ovaries don't respond to the drugs so you end up will very few or possibly no eggs. So there us no point going any earlier really  :(
good news that all 7 fertilised though - it sounds like it will work for you eventually.  :)
elcf

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply elcf...I know...am still trying to get my head around it! I've read the book and all, but must have missed the chapter on lab cock ups!
Thought that it would be a while...thanks for clarifying........tbh the way my insides are feeling today, I know its best to hold off for a while. Am so bloated and feel like I have been beaten up from the inside out!
How are you getting on with the next round of IVF? Good I hope.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Please do check with your clinic as they all have different rules.  My clinic just used to insist on one period in between not 3 months.  I do hope that you are getting the next round of treatment free of charge?

I would ring the clinic and insist on an urgent review appointment with the Consultant where I would point out to him that this has had a very serious impact on your emotional well being and that not only do you expect to do the next cycle free of charge you want an assurance about what measures have been put in place to prevent this from happening again!  I've never heard anything so amateurish in 6 years of doing treatment - very poor show!

Sending you a very big ^Cuddle^ ^Cuddle^ I can only imagine how devastated you must be.

Axxxx

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks A,
I must say that its only my 1st time of doing all this, but simply cannot believe its happened, especially as things were going so well. Am now worried that the next round wont go as well....
They have advised round 2 is free, and we have an appointment with the consultant next week....I thought they literally doubled checked everything. Pretty scary really!
I will be extra vigilant next time, and will be literally querying every single thing.....
Back to the drawing board I guess.
How long does it usually take for this bloated tum to subside?
6 years of treatment...have you been successful?
xxxx

·
Registered
55 Posts
HG my thoughts go out to you, I can't imagine how upset you must be.  Do check with your clinic about restarting, I had a cancelled ICSI in January and started again at the start of April but I may have been able to start in March if I hadn't been away with work.  I was told my the consultant that I had fluid remaining from the first lot of stimms but I didn't make it to EC so that may be relevant.  I guess that if there is no medical reason for you not to restart, you shouldn't have to wait, especially after what this error has put you through.

Sending you big hugs
x x x

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dodo,
Its really great speaking to people who're going through it all too.....we've all got our own stories to tell. Wish I'd found this site earlier!
I'll jsut have to wait and see what the consultant advises next week...and go from there.
Sorry to hear your first ICSI was cancelled too......how are you getting on now?
Big hugs back at you xx

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
I hope the Consultant has put on tea and cakes and is sucking up to you big time for this! ;) 

I haven't been successful no but don't let that put you off I also have a divorce and a loss at 10 weeks to add to my profile! ;D

Let us know how you get on!  The bloating should go down after a few days if you're not taking cyclogest (which of course you now aren't!) do some nice things this weekend and treat yourself! :)

axxx

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
;D
I think thats in order....I might start with a glass of wine tonight! I think I deserve it.....will be the first in a long time!
Will keep you posted.....and I hope it all works out for you soon. Am sure it will....keep plugging away.
xx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Definitely spoil yourself, hope you feel a little better soon.
I'm hoping to go for ET on Sat, got a call today to say that only 3 out of 12 eggs fertilised so i'm just hoping my little squirts hold on, but I know i'm very fortunate to ge to this stage this time so i'm not complaining as long as there is hope.

^hugme^
Jo x

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fingers and tose crossed for you Jo....3 is egg-cellent ;-) Sorry couldnt help myself!
Keep me posted wont you.
^hugme^
x

·
Registered
55 Posts
Egg-celent hahaha i like it ;D

Will do hun, x x

·
Registered
408 Posts
Good luck Dodo!
HG, I was just thinking - my 3 month wait could have been because I was on mega drugs (300 Gonal F per day due to age) so maybe if you have taken less drugs they would be out of your system quicker? worth asking. that would mean that 3 months would be your max waiting time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you hun  ^hugme^
Definitely, the more drugs your on...I think the longer it takes to come out of you. Try to enjoy being back to your normal self as much as you can. X x

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you ladies.....xx
^hugme^

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to update you.....went back to the clinic last Wednesday. To say they looked fearful was an understatement. We are the 1st couple in their 17 year history this has happened to. Not very comforting I can tell you.
Anyway, they advised we can start after my period (which came on good Friday) so look set to start "sniffing" again in a few weeks time.
How are you getting on?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts