Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This will seem like a really odd one to be asking but I will explain why!

Our clinic test 18 days post transfer. This seems a little late to me but understand it is so you have an accurate result. I notice other clinics do a 14 day post transfer or even 14 days post collection. Can anyone tell me why there is such a diffrence? The reason I ask is that my mum is here from Australia to support me through my treatment, and she is looking at booking her flight back after I have tested. If it is 18 days post transfer it will be mid july for testing and the flight prices are way higher then! (about £1000 more!) Could anyone give advice on testing and at what point is best etc and not too early but that my mum could save some cash on her flight by it being a few days before.

Thanks

Jen x

·
Registered
817 Posts
how very sweet of your mother. :)
from a very close family myself, i can totally understand why she wants to be here, how lucky you (and I) are. xx

re testing here is some info that might help you decide.

EC occurs.
5 days after - blasts form and are put back either then or before. (but it still needs to take a few days to reach blast)
1 or 2 days after ET, the blasts will have implanted.
normal HCG blood levels are about 1 or 2
the most sensitive test is 10 but others are 25 or 50.
after implantaiton the embryo (?i THINK?) starts to produce hcg.
It doubles every 2 days.
accordingly, it will very quickly hit the most senstive tests. ie around EC plus 9 or 10, which most clinics wld say is FAR too early. (i say 9 or 10 as I am allowing 5 days for blasts to form either in vitro or in body and then 2 days to implant and then 2 days for HCG nos to double to hit trigger.)

BUT you have to consider also, test error (occasional dud ones) and HCG in the body from your trigger shot and maybe a booster. if you had the latter allow MUCH longer. if the former you can test every day (use LH tests ie ovulation tests as they are cheaper and will trigger too) after EC till the trigger has gone from your system and then you know you have a "true" result.

i personally use LH tests from ET onwards so you can see changes at least. this is totally not recommended! but LH will be triggered by HCG or LH while HCG tests will only be triggered by HCG. obviosuly.

hope this gives more info to decide. xxx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

18dpt does seem a slightly longer wait than normal....ours tests 14dpt.

The very earliest to test woul be 14 dpEC, assuming EC as ovulation....however, this could still be too early.

Whilst as Anna says, an embie won't be ready to start implanting until it's reached blastocyst stage at 5 days old, this usually happens from around 24 hours later...so when 6 days old....and in natural conception, implantation can happen between 5-12dpo.....so right up to the embies 12 days old....so there's always the possibility of late implanters......so sorry, I'm afraid I have to disagree with Anna when she says that if you have blasts transferred then they would've implanted by 1-2dpt...as they may still take up to 7dpt to have completely implanted ie 12 days old....so in turn, even testing at 14dpEC may not show up enough HCG hormone on an hpt.

http://www.visembryo.com/baby/1.html

Once the embryo implantation is underway, it starts to release the HCG hormone....and only once there is a good level of HCG hormone will the hpt be able to detect it. Even tests that say you can use early such as Early Response, are only 65/69% accurate when used early. You do also need to consider the HCG injection and this can take up to 14 days to be eliminated from your body completely to prevent a false +ve result.

I can see your dilemna...it must be so hard for you & your mum (my parents live in New Zealand but mums not been here when I've been going through treatment). 18dpt does seem quite late to test though.....so if you were to test early then the earliest would be 14dpEC but I'd try to leave it until 14dpt.......or if had blastocyst then at least 10/11dpt (15/16dpEC).....I was told to test at 11dp5dt (16dpEC).

Would it be possible to get an HCG blood test done at your GP ? These are far more sensitive than an hpt as they show up the actual level of HCG in your blood.....so you could have one of these done at 14dpEC which should give a clear indication of whether +ve or not ?

Hope that helps...sorry if I've rambled a bit ::)

Good luck
Natasha ^reiki^

/links

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help girls, It makes things a little clearer. Think I will considr a 14dpt test and see if the few days makes a difference to the flight prices.

Thanks again

Jen x

·
Registered
872 Posts
Just to let you know what our clinic does...
After ET if you've had embies at cell stage popped back its a 14 day wait & if blasts 12 day wait xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts