Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to ask if there were any women on here who have had icsi with pcos and how many eggs they produced (also what level of drugs they were on)Our clinic has told me that if i have more than 15 eggs they wont transfer embryos until the following month..
Any advice??

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't know sorry sicknote but with mild PCOS myself & about to embark on our first cycle of ICSI I would be interested to see the responses.

B
x

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hi Sicknote

Not sure if this will help at all but i can tell you what happened with me.

They think i have pcos. I have recently completed 1st IVF. I was  on 150 ml of gonal f. I was on it for about 2 weeks and then had to coast and not take any drugs over a weekend. On the Monday they decided to go for it and do egg collection. I had lots and lots of follicles- maybe 12-15 on each ovary. It took ages for egg collection. From that i only got 6 eggs!!!! Was a bit disappointed.
Out of the 6, 4 fertilised really well and were all at the same stage when it came to embryo transfer.
Before they would transfer they scanned me to decide whether to freeze or do transfer. The doc decided to transfer and so i was happy. They put 2 back and froze the other 2.
However the next day the ohss symptoms started and lasted a few days then started easing. Around day 10 all the symptoms of ohss started again and i quickly went back to the hospital. They first thing they did was a pregnancy test and it was positive!!!!!! We were delighted.
I ended up getting severe ohss because my hormones had kicked in. I spent nearly 3 weeks in hospital on drips and was watched very closely. I put on a stone in a week because of the fluid in my tummy. I also had to have 11 litres of fluid removed by a drain- yuk.
I must say that looking back it was pretty nasty. It took me about 12 weeks to completely recover and get back to normal.
I am so lucky though as i am having twins so it was really worthwhile!!!!
The doctor did tell me that they should probably have frozen the embryos and waited 3 months to do transfer. I can see why but it was totally worth it.
I really hope  you get on fine and things go smoothly for you. Don't worry about me I think i was an extreme case!!

Best of luck
Fiona :) :) :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi Sicknote

I have PCOS & I also had alot of follies with our first icsi cycle, and was warened about the risk of OHSS.  I had well over 20 follies and think I had about 20 eggies collected.

By the time I returned for et I had quite bad tummy pains which were worrying me so the clinic scanned me & said my ovaries were very enlarged & pressing on my gall bladder.  There was no fluid collecting but they said I was at high risk for OHSS developing, so they asked me to decide whethe to go ahead or wait & freeze all embies.  I decided to freeze & then had 2 subsequent FET, first was successful but infortunately m/c at 7 weeks (nothing to do with it being FET) and then the 2nd (blastocyst transfer)was also positive & now have my georgeous 9 month old boy!!!

I suppose your clinic are just being cautious...

And FET is a good option if you are seriously at risk.

Hope things work out well for you, lots of luck,

love Vicky xxx

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hiya

I have PCOS.  First cycle was cancelled.  Last one I was on 225 puregon and down reg with buserelin.  We got 15 eggs, 2 fertilised enough to be transferred.  I had a biochemical pregnancy.  At follow up we were told should really aim for 6-9 eggs as any more affects quality.  I've just had 7 months of metformin and my symptoms are tons better.  We're about to start 3rd ICSI cycle on a short protocol and with a lower dose of puregon in a couple of weeks.  All the best with your cycle Sicknote

Gosh Fiona sounds like a rough ride, worth it as you say, but oo eck! 

Well done Vicky, let's hope we can follow.

Not long now Vic!

Lolly XXXX

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Hi Sicknote,

I have mild pcos ... no symptons at all and didn't know I had it until my first scan at the initial investigation stage.

We have had icsi twice, both times I have been on short protocol.

First time I was on 100 - 150 Puregon and I produced 12 eggs.  The second time I was 150 - 200 Puregon and I produced 20 eggs and I had mild OHSS.  Each time I was on the higher dose of Puregon on the last few days ... I d/regged and stimmed in 11 days each time and both times I d/regged from day 6 and stimmed at the same time.  I was using orgalutran for D/R.

I have changed clinics, so I don't know if my drugs or protocol will be changed on my next go, but I suspect it will, as my new clinic were not happy that I produced 20 eggs and had mild OHSS.

Hope this helps ... Belinda x

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm thanks for your replies..Just wondered if you had the choice to put back embies or wait..what do you think you would do??
I am worried about them saying that i have ohss and them saying that they wont put back any embies..Them freezing the embies and then them all dying on defrosting...
As we only have a limited amount of sperm left i think i'm worrying more..and i do trust my drs and i know what they're doing..maybe i should be happy with that.
Thanks again for your replies..
Ju

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Hi Sicknote xxx
I dont know if what I am about to write will help you but please be reassured by the fact that I am pregnant xxx

Ok I started tx in May this year, Icsi was my only hope so we started near enough straight away, at this point I didnt know I had PCOS and neither did my consultant.

I was on 150 puregon adn I stimmed for about 17 days. I ended with OHSS and 28 eggs, which resulted in 16 embies which had to be frozen. these embies didnt survive the thaw however ir WAS NOT because of my PCOS its was beacuase of a clinical error.

I then waited for my AF which when you want it never shows I was 54 days late!! well when that came I started a short protocol of puregon, with this I didnt respond and after 8 days with still no follies cycle was abandoned.

well I decided to leave it a month so my body could have some chill time...

Started again in October, started with 150 puregon, very slow to respond dose was then upped to 175 and then 200-225 -250!! I was stimming in total for nearly 4 weeks!!! again I did start to hyperstimulate towards the end.. which couldnt be helped the dr discussed why the dose was being upped and I agreed with him 100% my follies were there they just werent growing. and when they did bang ohss!!! my Dr and I discussed the fact how I was so against freezing after the last error and we both did everything we could to bring my east levels down, we did this my cuting the dose and then stopping the dose for 3 days before EC this was a sucsess and even though again i had 32 eggs and 16 embies 8 of which were grade 1 I managed to get nmy first ET and a BFP. ask for regular blood tests I had them nearly every 3 days to make sure my East levels were not starting to go sky high. they were up but we got there for our fresh transfer.

I cant remember how you spell it its something like
co-asting??? see if your clinic has heard of it its a way they can reduce your hormone levels if you do OHSS

dont give up hope honey

Sorry for the waffel

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi
here's my experience, just as an alternative to everyone else!

I present with PCOS - polycystic ovaries, tendency to being overweight etc., but I definitely do not respond to the stim drugs like someone with PCOS.  I've now had ivf 5 times and generally get around 8 eggs, with 9 my top.  I've always been on pretty high levels of stim drugs - last time I ended up with 450 gonal f PLUS 150 merional and no hint of OHSS any time.

I guess, it just depends on you personally. 
Van
XX

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Sicknote

Just to add: i am borderline PCO - didn't know this until first scan. Was on short protocol of 150 gonal f (for a week). Produced in excess of 50 follies out of which got 27 eggs (22 fertilised). I had mild OHSS from b4 EC... it never progressed (thankfully & amazingly). At no point did my clinic once think of abandoning .... i was amazed to be honest as i hadn't heard of so many follies in anyone else i had spoken to.....

Anyway i suppose its down to each clinics but @ the Lister - there was no hint of not transferring and that was with 27 eggs ...... so it looks like these clinics have very very different views... my consultant even said to very lightheartedly .."oh my god you are in high risk city for OHSS" - her exact words!

Anyway hope things go well!! ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi!

Just want to say that I do not have PCOS and doctors didnt say that I hyperstimulated - not quite anyway !
I had 19 eggs first cycle and 27 eggs second cycle. Both times I had embryo tranfer within 2 days. Close monitoring is needed. And you will know your own body. My clinic told me to carry on taking my usual 3 amp dose over the last weekend of my 2nd cycle. I already felt like mother hen and about to explode, so I rang them up and challenged their advice. I told them I thought if I did as they'd said I would surely go too far and then have to be abandoned before retrieval. They listened and changed their advice to 2 and then 1 amp. How right I was! I wasn't prepared to go through all that to be told it's all off. Trust your instincts and what your body is telling you!!

I guess every clinic across the country is different with their rules but as you can see 15 eggs is not overly high - unless you are at risk and only the doctors an judge that. Listen to their advice and challenge it if you feel you need to.

Best of luck!!

E x

(PS If you've read my signature, I didn't have an abandoned cycle because of the above, it was simply due to me not being able to down-reg!!!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts