Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening FF,

Just wondering if there is part of this website either through survey or somewhere else where it shows how many follicles people had when they got their BFP either naturally or through medication.

i have read on general websites that 3 is the number most associated with pregnancy and i know there are other considerations like sperm count/womb lining etc. 

Last IUI I had 2 follicle but BFN.  This time around again I have 2 good follicles.  Have people gotten pregnant through IUI with one/two follicles.

I find the search option doesn't bring me back what I need to know.
Many thanks
KittyDootx

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Hi Kitty
1 or 2 is what most clinics would want - my clinic would not treat with 3 I don't think because of the risks. So just 1 or 2, hope this helps.
Tiny xxx

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a million Tiny. 

As I haven't ever had more than 2 I haven't thought to ask whether the hospital would have abandoned at 3!  THanks for the info.
Kittyx

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
You're welcome, I think some would go ahead with 3 but I don't think most would.
Good luck
Tiny xx

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Kitty

Just thought I would pop by.  My clinic would allow up to 3 follies.  First time round I had 3 and no BFP.  Second time round I had 2 follies & got my BFP.

Both times I had medicated treatment cycles.

Hope that helps.

Good luck

Amanda x

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My NHS hos & my private clinic would allow 3 follicles - the NHS clinic had only 1 set of triplets in 10 years!

The size of the follicle is more important.

Good luck!

Jess x

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Same here, they would abandon if more than 3 follicles. I had 3 but still had a singleton

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Hi again
I should have been clearer, as Jess says it is the size that is more important. I have been for my day 10 scan this lunchtime and have several follies but my clinic only count those above 14mm and I had 2 of those but several other smaller follies which they ignore really.

I am just hoping that surge comes before the weekend else I think we will be abandoning this cycle. The Prof who does my scans thinks Wed or Thur so hoping he is right!!.

Tiny xx

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Girls
Thanks ever so for getting back to me. Really appreciated.  You can google all kinds of stats but it is better to hear about it from people that it happened to.

Congrats again Amanda on your BFP. Can I just ask what size your follicles were before you were basted?  They didn't measure mine on the day I went in to be treated (Monday) but the Friday before they were 18.5 each on the righthand side.  Did you get measured on the day you went in?

Tiny hope that everything works out for you this week.  ^pray^ surge comes before the weekend.

JessP best of luck on the 25th! ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Professor Waffle
Looks like you have your hand full with just the one!....does more than one follicle then mean that you could potentially have twins/triplets.  I am never quite sure as to how the whole follicles thing works.  Is it just one egg per follicle?

You'd think I would know all these things after all this time.
Cheers
KittyDx

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Hi Kitty

When I had my dating scan my Cons asked how many follicles & then said 'oh so we're looking for twins then!'. I have to say not every follicle will contain an egg but the only way to really know is during IVF & EC. I guess they just think the higher the number of follicles the higher the chance of getting twins. I know of some IUI twins & 1 set of IUI triplets so it's possible!

As for No of follicles I eventually had about 10 on my 2nd cycle but only 3 were of a reasonable size & one lead one of about 20mm when I took my HCG.

I think it's what you get used to , twins would have been nice but you're right one two year old can be quite a handful ;)

Gillx

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Kitty dot

I can't really remember what size my follies were....I remember that my clinic like them to be over 18mm.  I was scanned on the friday before basting and was told they were the right size but like you they did not measure them again on the Monday when I had the basting.  Maybe they would have had time to grow a bit more over the weekend but I was told to stop the menopur and I carried on with the Suprecur until the Saturday at 10pm & had my trigger shot at midnight on saturday/sunday. 

I was told by the clinic that if there was more than one follicle then there was more chance of multiples.....more targets for DH's swimmers  and as you can see second time I had two follies & both fertilised resulting in twins  ;D

Hope that helps  ^fairydust^

Amanda x

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I had 2 follies when I conceived dd. I've had 3 failed iui's this time - 2 with 2 follies and 1 with 3. Having read the eSET board though it has made me a bit concerned about having twins. I have never had the risks properly explained to me by the clinic, and was quite shocked by the stats. I think I would feel uncomfortable going ahead with 3 follies again. x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts