Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about how many sperm you really need for IUI. My husband has a normal count but the motility is erratic and the morphology poor.

My doctor tested a sample in June to see whether they were suitable for IUI and post-wash we got 15 million. However when I did my first IUI last month the figure was only 2.5 million post-wash. My doctor said ideally we need 10 million and that we could try this a few more months but if we keep getting low results, we would be advised to move to IVF.

My question is how many sperm realistically are needed to make IUI worthwhile? are we wasting our time if we keep getting low figures?

I'm doing IUI next week and I'm totally stressed wondering if the figure will be a high one or a low one.

Many thanks
Julie

·
Registered
856 Posts
JulieG said:
I have a question about how many sperm you really need for IUI. My husband has a normal count but the motility is erratic and the morphology poor.

How poor? If it is too abnormal then only ICSI will work anyway.

My doctor

(presumably the sample was sent to an infertility clinic?)

tested a sample in June to see whether they were suitable for IUI and post-wash we got 15 million. However when I did my first IUI last month the figure was only 2.5 million post-wash. My doctor said ideally we need 10 million and that we could try this a few more months but if we keep getting low results, we would be advised to move to IVF.

The number is really irrelevant if the mprohology is poor. With good morphology and motility we would certainly look for about 10 million sperm.

My question is how many sperm realistically are needed to make IUI worthwhile?

See above

are we wasting our time if we keep getting low figures?

It depends on the morphology

Good luck!!

Peter

I'm doing IUI next week and I'm totally stressed wondering if the figure will be a high one or a low one.

Many thanks
Julie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts