Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

I am just wondering how many of u r taking metformin.

I have had pcos since 1994 diagnosed with initial lap for fertility investigations.

The only treatment i have had for pcos is dianette pill

Never been offered anything else.

A few of my friends have suggested i might get benefit from taking metformin so my question is.........

how many are taking it

does it help

what side effects

I have a pre op assessment appt with the gynae team for my lap on 3rd june and hope to ask about the possibility of starting it

thanks for any help u can give

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Emily
I am taking Metformin for pcos & have been doing so for about 8 months now, at first the side effects for me were quite bad (severe nausea & upset tummy) but they seem to have passed now & I only have the occasional bad day (probably due to me eating too much of the wrong things ::)).
I started on 1 & increased to 3x 500mg tablets a day spread over about 6 weeks.
I have had a few benefits. I started to have an almost regular cycle of about 40/45 days, before I only had one or two af's a year if I was lucky, although they have stopped again at present, but I am hoping this is just temporary & due to being dx with a large cyst on one of my ovaries a few months ago, but at long last I have my appointment to go & see a gynae next week so hopefully he can explain more then. I have also managed to lose some weight.
I was lucky my GP was happy to prescribe me the Metformin, but I know some are still not happy to do so.

Good luck with your forthcoming appointment, let us know how you get on.
All the best
Andrea
x

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi Emily! :)

I am taking metformin as well! 500mg 3xday.
I started taking it at the beginning of April. I had nausea and upset stomach for the first couple of weeks, but it calmed down after then. I think it affects everyone differently!
The consultant prescribed it to me on my second appt, but I have to say my own GP wasn't thrilled about it(I just ignored him!!!!)
I then did a pg test on the 10th May and it was +ve!!!
I still can't believe it, but we are going for our first scan tomorrow!!
I believe it works because I had a miscarriage last March and from then till now I could not fall pg,as soon as I started taking the metformin I am pg!!!!
I would definitely ask about it!!!

Take Care hope everything goes well!!!
Love Emmaxxxx

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi
i have taken metformin for a few months now. I am one of the lucky ones and dont seem to have many side effects!
I am on quite a high dose of 4 x 500g a day . I find that spacing them out through the day helps.
I feel better in myself since i have started taking them and have found that my cycles have been shorter which is good.
I hope you get the answers you need at your appointment.
Feel free to email me if you need any more info
take care
suzie aka olive

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi again

thanks for olive, emma and Andrea for ur replies

they are much appreciated.

I did used to have cycles of 3-4 months, but then they were regular, didnt have many pcos symptoms apart from excess hair, although now my cycles are becoming a bit more erratic again havent had probs with cycle for about 4 years but now all of a sudden,probs again.

i have been "inbetweenie" for a while now and after my lap in 4 weeks am going to ttc,altho wont know which method til i have the lap ie could be trying clomid for 6 months or straight onto ivf.

My gynae has suggested ovarian drilling but another friend of mine who has pcos has told me that too much ovarian drilling can be bad for u and cause scar tissue, having endo i already have enough of this.

Anything that will help me to have my miracle i am willing to try, i am one of those people if theres a side effect to a drug i am gonna have it!!

Altho that aside if it lead to my miracle any side effect is worth it am sure u all agree.

In the past have also had several miscarraiges, and have been told it can help with this too.

thanks once again, i have asked gp he wont prescribe anything hormonal cos i have a gynae whom i see regularly, and he dont like to step on anyones toes.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
hey emily

i to take metformin 1500mg per day and have been since 26 feb

in regards to side affects only porbs i have had is heart burn! however this has now stopped as i know make sure i take each tablet with a meal and not to late at night!

the benifits for me have been some weight loose-8lbs in 6 weeks without trying! also for first time ever i have ovulated! cant say 100% that this has been down to the metformin as they did add clomid at 50mg last month (however clomid alone didnt do a thing back in 2000 when i took it for 4 [email protected] and [email protected]) also my cycles are now about 28-30 days which is good as before they were anything from 10 days to 60days!

hope this is of some help to you.

is this your first laparscopy? im having my 2nd lap done next fri due to a large cyst on left ovary which needs to be drained again!

good luck

Mez
xoxoxoxox

Hi emma

good luck for ya scan hun-text me when ya get out hun-Luv Mez xoxoxo ps i love the banana!!!!!!!!!
^banana^ ^banana^ ^banana^

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi Emily

I was given metformin before my 2nd cycle was told to take it till EC. I got a positive and had my little boy.

We have just done our 3rd cycle and my doc at the clinic said as i had metformin before he wanted me to take it again. He said it has been proven to increase the fertility in women with PCOS. I took it longer this time, the only side effects i had was an upset tummy occasionally and a touch of heartburn which stopped when i changed the late night tablet to earlier.

Anyway we had the biggest response this time, 24 eggs and 15 fertilised. I tested positive last week and have 7 embies in the freezer. never had such a good reponse so not sure if its the metformin or not.

Wishing you lots of luck

Love Kim x x x xx

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Hi there,
I also have pcos and have been taking Metoformin since Dec 2003. My doctor said that it should align my hormones a bit better and it will limit the risk of miscarriage. As well, in some people, it starts up ovulation. I take it in conjunction with other meds (started wtih clomid and am now getting puregon injections instead). Thankfully, they have helped my system and I now produce eggs (but have yet to become pregnant).

As for side affects, it's a bit hard on my stomach (but I have other stomach issues so it's mostly because of that). At first metformin made me nauceous, but it's ok now. I take one with each meal and make sure I take it at the end of the meal when my stomach is full.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi, I started taking metformin about 5 weeks ago now. I'm now on my maximum dose of 2g per day (2 tabs with breakfast, 2 with dinner). To start with I had quite bad stomach upsets (diarrhoea, wind, nausea and heartburn), but it has got a bit better. I have also weighed myself and have lost about 5lb in the last 2 weeks, so I am sticking with it! I have not had an af for about a year, so I'm really looking forward to things moving again.....then we can start our DI treatment. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was diagnosed with pcos 10 yrs ago and haven't really taken anything for it, Clomid didn't work for me and I ended up pregnant naturally so go figure... anyway, my main problem is losing weight, I've been doing Weight Watchers (no cheating) for over a month, aerobics twice a week and I walk 1.5 miles a day but still no weight loss. Can I get metformin from my GP even if I'm not trying to conceive?

Good luck to everyone!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there,
Just been prescribed metforfin from hospital, was on clomid - 3 courses from 50mg up to 150 mg - but didnt work, now doc saying to try metformin as clomid, days 2 - 6 of bleed  :-\ but reading on here, everyone taking it everyday! has anyone just taken it for 5 days a month??
im sooo confused  ???
Cheers a bunch
Claire x x

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
There seems to be a lot of people on metformin and i am another one!
I take 850mg 3x a day, i have been on it for about a year now, I agree with the side effects of upset stomach, and also the heartburn but i never realised the heartburn was cos of the tablet untill now! so thanx for that!.
Im not sure that the metformin has been working for me, i dont think my dr will put me on a higher dose either, he did add a drug called actos a few months ago for me to take for a couple of months, i finished them and then i got my 1st af in over 2yr, im still on the metformin but no actos and guess what? no af!!! so ive been back on the actos for a month and hoping for another af!. :mad:
So my view is to try the metformin cos it seems to work for some people but i would ask about the drug actos, i think its very new, ive asked around the site for anyone on it but no one seems to be, im quite lucky in the fact i have a great dr at great portland st and hope thats the reason y im on actos and not that im being used for experiments!!! ^bunny^ lol
Well, hope that helps some one! lots of luck to all xXx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

was recently diagnosed with PCOS and have have been prescribed metformin 500mg which i tek twice a day, but unfortunately have some side affects (upset stomach & nausea), does anyone know what i could take to releif the pain as I am a bit warey

thanks

Julie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts