Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We're hoping to start our first FET cycle next week.  We were planning to go for natural rather than drugs.  We have been sent a consent form to sign before we go on Monday indicating how many we want to thaw.  We know we have 7 frozen.  We had planned to thaw 2 but the form implies we have to have all of them thawed.  We don't want to thaw ones that we won't be able to use.

Haw anyone been in this situation?  What are our options?

Any advice very welcome - I've not talked to anyone who's had a FET cycle so I'd really welcome any help.  I don't know what's going to happen...

Thank you very much

DIDI

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I' d ask the embryologist for advice x

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Didi

I had a FET in June last year and the clinic thawed 3 embryos, but only 2 made it.  Both were transfered and I got a BFP followed quite quickly by a MC.

I going for my second FET on the 29th January and the clinic are again thawing 3.  I am hoping that all 3 make it and they transfer all 3.

I, like you, would not want to thaw too many just in case you need them for another attempt - not that you will of course.

Mrs Signs
Kacey

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Didi,

I think that it depends on your clinic's policy and what stage they froze the embryos.  We have just finished one medicated FET cycle and our embryos were 5 day blastocysts so they only thaw one at a time.  They also prefer to put one back at a time.  Ours didn't work but we have 5 blasts left so are due to start the rollercoaster again in Feb.  I have to admit though, that the whole FET cylce is much less stressful that a fresh cycle.

You could just double check with the clinic before you sign anything as I completely understand that you wouldn't want to thaw anything that wouldn't be used.

Hope thats of some help.
Ruthybee

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hi Didi,

Best to ask embryologist for their opinion given your unique circumstances.

Without knowing your circumstances ie what day your embies are, whether you're nhs/how many cycles you have, your age etc it's hard to say.

I had 14 x day 1 embies and gave consent to thraw 7 leaving plenty for the next time. However, only 4 made the thaw so we gave permission to thaw another in order to improve chance to transfer a blastocyst. We now have 3 good quality embies and 2 average quality.

As success rates are meant to be better with fresh cycles I would probably give consent to thaw them all. Also just because you give permission to thaw all embies doesn't neccessary mean you will need to. They should consult with you prior to thawing and then perhaps thaw a couple first and then more if necessary. The embryologist at my hospital has been extremely sensitive to what I want and and is very considerate when it came to decisions.

Good luck,

Persian

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Like Ruthybee mine were blastocyst and they thawed them in 2's  and 1 on its own( as we wanted 2 put back) This meant from our five frozen embryos we got three transfers- of which the last one was successful,

I would ask which freezing method they used, vitrification has a higher thaw rate and is quicker so if one doesn't make it you can thaw another, I think the older freezing method takes longer to defrost so harder to do more on the day,

Are they planning to develop the embies further or just put them back that day?

Ultimately it will depend on the clinics protocol but I think you have a right to ask qu;s and like you I would have hated to waste embies,

Livity K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts