Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering really, how many embryos people who have undergone egg donation have had put back in?

Since, I have never had more than 2 embies (and that was only once and on a good OEIVF month) put back and since none of my treatments from past 2 +years have resulted in a BFP, I obviously want to maximise my chances.

I am going to my doc tonight for lining scan and to check that i havent ovulated and if all ok ( fingers crossed  ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^) I am ready to go for transfer next tuesday - scary but exciting stuff.

So i have to tell them how many we want to put back in. I am not afraid of twins, and would actually love a twin pregnancy / birth but i think anything more than that would freak me out!!!!

I would welcome any advice and / or stories of you lovely women who have had de transfers that have resulted in BFP and of how many you had transferred etc...

Thanks in advance and hugs to you all.

x

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi there Jbox and good luck.

First of all, it depends where you are what they can do. In UK, the HFEA limits the number of embryos that can be transfered to 2, if the mother OR DONOR is under 40. Abroad, some clinics offer more, but if twins is all you want/ can cope with would it not be better to stick to two and freeze any embryos over and above that? (If you are lucky enough to get them!). What do you know about the donor? are you going for blastocyst transfer? and assisted hatching? If the donor is younger, and the embryos are blastos, then I personally would not opt for more than two. There is some (not huge) evidence that assisted hatching can result in more splitting, so if AH is used you stand a bit more chance (but not greatly increased) of getting monozygotic twins (ie twins from one egg!). Someone at my clinic ended up with triplets after a double embryo transfer - both implanted and one split!
The age of the donor affects quality of eggs - younger more likely to be good quality, so more likely to get BFP from a single embryo (my clinic seriously discussed eSET with me for the donor treatment - all a bit weird when for ages I have been lucky to get 2 embryos, and then usually of dodgy quality).
My own experience is also that my body does best with fewer drugs messing it up - IUI worked (not to term), and I didn't feel as bad on the cycles, and it was huge amounts less drugs. I didn't DR properly on the DE cycle, so ended up not getting to transfer (wheeled out of the theatre in floods of tears since I had literally just started bleeding), waiting 2 months and having a natural cycle FET which worked. So, for me, if I were to do this again, I would probably opt for fresh cycle no more than 2, but if I had 2 good embryos I would probably go for only 1 and have the other frozen because then I'd have that chance another cycle.

This is just one opinion - you might do very differently on the medications, and I know there are those who advocate returning 3 (or more!) embryos to maximise chances. I know fresh cycles have higher percent chance of working, in general, than FET, but my clinic had good stats for FET and I knew I did better with less interference in my natural cycle.

wishing you all the best whatever you decide.
Elinor x

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
If your donor is young I would be very cautious about putting more than one back. It is the age of the donor and not the age of the uterus that affects success.

The aim of treatment is to have a live baby. Despite the potential romantic idea of having twins a twin pregnancy is risky and can lead to untold heartache.

On my BFP thread this time there have already been 2 cases of premature rupture of membranes of one twin in the second trimester with complete loss of the pregnancy by 20 weeks.

I know of at least two other sets of IVF twins in my own circle of friends that have resulted in losses at 23-25 weeks.

And when I had my first pregnancy and miscarriage a friend lost triplets - one embie became identical twins.

All of the latter cases have gone on to have SET and have children now or a very late on going pregnancy.

It is worth being very clear headed and discussing the risks and benefits with your doctor.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi Jbox,
I would endorse what the others have said from the knowledge I have. Also I would add that 2 consultants have now told me that if you are lucky enough to have embryo(s) that get to blastocyst stage (5 day old embryos as opposed to 2-3 days), then they would recommend that you only have one blastocyst put back. This is because at blastocyst stage the embryologist can see the quality of the embryo much more clearly than at 2-3 days, & by definition if an embryo has made it to blast, then the embryologist can be more certain of the fact that it is a good quality embryo (so she/he can be more certain that it will implant than she/he could be with the same embryo at day 3). The stats apparently, are similar for success with one blast transfered versus 2 embryos transferred at day 3. Therefore, if you opt for 2 blast transfers (presuming you have the opportunity), this won't increase your chances of becoming pregnant (versus a 2 embryo transfer at day 2-3), but it will increase the likelihood of twins should you become pregnant. As Hazel says, having twins should be taken very seriously because of the risks to both mother & the babies survival/health, & therefore should ideally be avoided.
Might be worth looking at the SET board for other opinions & experiences.

Hope that makes sense & is helpful

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Hi there,

such a tricky decision and one which is often debated here on FF!

Only you can make the final decision, with good guidance and advice from your clinic. It depends on so many factors including your history, donor's age, quality of embryos etc etc

I had 2 failed fresh cycles with donor embryos - I had 2 put back each time, the first was a 3 day transfer, the 2nd was 5 day blasts, grade 1. When I went back for FET I went for 2 embryos again to maximise my chances of one sticking since my history was so poor (lots of immune issues etc) and FET typically has lower success rates than fresh embryos
Anyway, against the odds it would seem, both stuck and my twins are due in 5 weeks time. Yes, there are risks to twin pregnancies, but there are also plenty of us on the twins thread who have not had any major problems. And I have to say for me it's been the best possible outcome as financially and emotionally I don't think I could have done another cycle, and yet I would never have wanted an only child. So I've been very lucky...

...but what's right for one person is not for another, so please discuss in depth with your clinic and make the right decision for you
best of luck,
Suitcase
x

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi There,

Funny enough I had this very same discussion with the ARGC yesterday (who will be supporting me in my upcoming first DE in Greece soon). They were very definite if it is a good quality blast from a young donor to only have one put in. Granted this is because I would need a stitched pregnancy and they said I would most likely not make it with Twins. They also commented on the possibility of a good embryo splitting and also mentioned issues with my age and the risk with carrying hearty twins to full term.

I think you should ask you doctor as it does depend on how good your insides are and also if you have immune issues and a history or not?

Good luck x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts