Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is the first time I'm posting on here.

I've had a random TESE in the UK and unfortunately no sperm found and have been diagnosed with Maturation arrest.

I'm considering flying out to Cornell for a second shot at Micro TESE with Dr Schlegel.  Can anyone confirm the costs involved from Micro TESE to ICSI, drugs, consultations and tests?

Anybody with a similar case and had success with Cornell?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Hi Elegance

Sorry I can't help with your question - but we're in almost exactly the same situation as you and I'm thinking of us going out there for a 2nd opinion too.  However, as DH only had TESE last month, I thought it may be better to wait a couple of months - and sort out some acupunture sessions for him first as I've read some good things about acupunture and some Chinese herbal medicines helping - and we'll try anything!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Cornell is expensive.  Very expensive.  Although with the dollar as weak as it is, it might be a good time!

mTESE was 11,000 US
initial consult 400 US
anesthesia was covered for us (maybe another 2500 US)

IVF cycle was 8500
anesthesia 1000
ICSI 2500
initial consult 400 US
mock transfer 400 US
initial bloods and saline ultrasound (?? done away from Cornell)

Meds
25/month clomid for DH
about 1400 US total for me (with some insurance coverage, that is highly variable)

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.  Maybe some of the other girls will chime in with things I forgot.  They will send you an information packet with the current price list if you request one.

--leebs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,695 Posts
I think a ball park figure including accommodation and travel from the UK would be about £20k which is a hell of alot of money but if it works first time then it could be cost effective. We've spent around £18k having treatment in the UK up to now with nothing to show for it!!

Lou x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is very expensive, what happens if they don't find any sperm and the ICSI/ivf cycle has to be abandoned?  Will it be any cheaper or is it just as expensive as they have done all the prep. work for the IVF/ICSI cycle.

I've read on the net that Dr. Schlegel quotes around 47% success rate for Maturation arrest.  I have normal blood hormones, testes size etc.  So it was a complete shock for us, as I could never imagine this hitting me.  I want to give this a shot but £20k is a heck of alot of money for a young couple in their twenties.

I would love to hear from more people in the same situation as me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
If you do the mTESE the day before the IVF/ICSI (we did) you can cancel the IVF/ICSI.  That saves the female anesthesia, retrieval, and ICSI fees.

Dr. Schlegel will do a phone consult and review your bloodwork and pathology report,etc.  He may be able to give you a more accurate chance at success after that.  Unfortunately nothing is ever guaranteed!

For us... the cost was about the same as domestic adoption and we wanted to give ourselves one shot at a biological child.  We are lucky enough to be in our mid 30s with established careers.  It wasn't easy to make that decision or find all the money!

Sadly, there are plenty of us around, all in various stages of the process.  You'll find lots of help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Hi Elegance,

Sorry to hear about your situation.  We are booked to go for the 28 May - 11 June cycle at Cornell.  My husband hasn't had a TESE in the UK, we are going straight to Cornell for the first go with Dr Schelgel.  It is a lot of money and we looked into other options (Jinemed in Istanbul - they do mTESE a lot cheaper) but we just decided that we wouldn't be happy with our decision unless we went to Cornell.... so we're off in 2 weeks! 

The costs are about $38,000 and with accommodation and flights it will end up costing us about $40,000.  Dr Schlegel asked us if we wanted to use donor back up just in case he didn't find anything.  So that is always an option for you if you would consider it.  We have decided that we will go down that route if (and I'm really hoping it won't come to that) they don't find anything.  So we are in the very bizarre process of looking at donor's profiles and matching them to my husband. 

If you email Dr Schelgel, he is very helpful and will answer any questions you have.  He gave us a 70-75% chance of finding sperm, so we were pretty impressed.  A phone consultation with him cost us £250 but I would email him first and save your money. 

I hope this helps. 

Lashes xxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
HI elegance  - so sorry to hear you are in this situation as well, do your hormone levels also indicate maturation arrest? I'm in a similar situation with my H...he has NOA and high fsh ( 55) so we're just also seeing if there's any hope for us biologically too,

Lashes, can I ask what your hormone levels were and were you refused tese in the uk? I think this might happen to us as the first private clinic we were seen at refused tesa/pesa on the basis on the high fsh, so i'm really interested to hear from anyone who might be in a similar situation,

thanks very much and good luck in the US if i don't hear from you!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Hi Sparkells,

My DH also has NOA and his first FSH came back at 39 and the last one was 26.  I wonder if this is to do with the vitamins?!? He's been on Wellman, zinc and vit c for months and months now.  We were offered TESE in the UK but we decided not to go for it here due to DH's high FSH and risk of scar tissue etc.  We read about Cornell and knew that was the best place we could possibly go for male factor.  We chopped and changed our mind a few times due to the cost but in the end bit the bullet. 

I am very surprised that a clinic refused to operate.  Surely you can't move on until you've found out if there is sperm or not.  Have you tried another clinic?  I know of people with very high FSH's that have had successful TESE's/mTESE's so it is possible.  We're certainly hoping so!

I really hope it works out for you. 

Feel free to message me if you need any info about Cornell. 

Love Lashes xxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leebs  you said : "If you do the mTESE the day before the IVF/ICSI (we did) you can cancel the IVF/ICSI.  That saves the female anesthesia, retrieval, and ICSI fees."

I guess this approach would save me half the money if in the unfortunate event MTESE was unsuccessful, but does this approach disadvantage the chance of successful ICSI if sperm is retrieved in MTESE as sperm are now a day old?

Also is this an approach Cornell suggested/recommended or did you request for it to be done this way?

Lashes--- are you going to go about it the same way as Leebs?

I think Dr Schlegel only does mTESE at certain months of the year, does anybody know when these are?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Hello ladies,

I was wondering if anyone had a phone conversation with Dr Schlegel where they asked about the ability to "export" frozen sperm he would retrive during mTESE to one's fertility clinic.

We're in Sweden and trust our clinic to do a great job IVF wise, it's just that they don't do mTESE that we're even considering Cornell.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
I don't know about the advantages/disadvantages of using day old sperm.  We expected it to go that way (DH first, me the next day) and it did give DH a chance to recover a bit before I had my procedure.  If you both go the same day, you have to have a third person check you out from day surgery.  This way, we were able to check each other out, then shuffle across the street to our hotel.  That's what Dr. S suggested (although he does same day procedures as well) and it worked really well for us.  I think some of it depends on scheduling as he will only do 3-4 mTESE each day and he only does them in 2 week blocks four times a year (september, december, march and ?june).  They publish a calendar a year in advance and will send it in the information packet if you call his office.

In terms of frozen sperm, I haven't heard of Cornell shipping (a while back someone mentioned using frozen sperm in Turkey).  I know that frozen sperm is highly variable and depends on how mature the sperm is.  We were encouraged to do the simultaneous cycle and use fresh.  We have some frozen for another try, but ours are a little odd and there are no guarantees that they will thaw well.  Still, it never hurts to ask!

--leebs
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top