Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peter,

Firstly - hope Canada was good.

We were dx with a male factor problem (poor count, motility and morphology) in early 2002, at first we were referred for ICSI but were then directed toward 'normal' IVF.

We have just completed our second IVF at the JR in Oxford.

The first attempt we had a + but it ended in a missed m/c. The second attempt was scuppered by a messy egg retrieval that had to be abandoned.

During both procedures I have never had good quality embryos - I don't know the exact grade because the JR have a policy of not telling you. But they have suggested that it's not good and that this is nothing to do with the sperm quality, that I must have poor quality eggs. They have told me that once a sperm fertilised the egg then it's 'job is done'.

However, I've since read conflicting material that suggests that sperm quality can dictate the quality of the embryo. We are going for a review with the JR next week and I would like to have your point of view on it before we go.

Many thanks

PP
x

·
Registered
856 Posts
Pink Platypus said:
Hi Peter,

Firstly - hope Canada was good.

Very good, we are going there for a year in Sept!

We were dx with a male factor problem (poor count, motility and morphology) in early 2002, at first we were referred for ICSI but were then directed toward 'normal' IVF.

We have just completed our second IVF at the JR in Oxford.

The first attempt we had a + but it ended in a missed m/c. The second attempt was scuppered by a messy egg retrieval that had to be abandoned.

During both procedures I have never had good quality embryos - I don't know the exact grade because the JR have a policy of not telling you.

A strange policy!

But they have suggested that it's not good and that this is nothing to do with the sperm quality, that I must have poor quality eggs. They have told me that once a sperm fertilised the egg then it's 'job is done'.

Nonsense! Our work in Canada in sperm DNA fragmentation shows just the opposite.

However, I've since read conflicting material that suggests that sperm quality can dictate the quality of the embryo.

Yes, see above!

We are going for a review with the JR next week and I would like to have your point of view on it before we go.

Come to Canada for a holiday and have a cycle with me!

Peter
Many thanks

PP
x

1 - 2 of 2 Posts