Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies

I am just trying to figure out how much time would you required to take off work for IVF?  from the day you start down regging untill ET how many times would one need to go have scans done check ups etc?  I definately want to take days off after EC and ET I am working full time and am not going to be telling work that I will be having IVF - please let me know how most of you done it.

Sonia

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
Sonia it all depends on you and your clinic- I live in central London and have clinics have all been in London so not more than half an hour to travel from home/work.  For the first 2 cycles I worked and slotted in scans- only had about 4 and a few bloods before work.  I always got signed off by my GP from EC to test day, he gave me a cert that said gynae procedure under GA and recovery on the certs. I also work f/t and didn't tell my employer.

Then I moved to ARGC and it was a whole different ball game with bloods every morning, and back for drugs and then sometimes for more bloods and scans. So I took a weeks AL when stimming on my last week and then EC and ET and off for the 2ww.  The last cycle I took off the whole stimming and 2ww (5 1/2 weeks).
L x

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sonia    I work f/t night shifts so could fit in scans quite easily during the day. On day of actual EC, I went to work that night, apart from feeling a bit uncomfortable, I managed ok.
For ET, I had that night off then went back to work as normal. I,d figured I should just carry on as normal, if it was gonna work, then it would regardless of what I did.  Unfortunetly, I had a BFN, but although I am not going to regret doing anything I did or didnt do during that cycle, I would definetly take the full 2ww off on my next go. Mostly because it would be doing something different to the one that failed.

What, I,m trying to say is, do what feels right for you, but dont do anything you could blame if things go wrong. Whatever you do, you have to be comfortable with it.

TracyM

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi Sonia

Sorry to crash your thread but I'd really appreciate some advice on the same lines..
Found out on Friday that I can start IUI this week if my period shows up... (had been expecting to wait another 4months)... and will need to go to scans in the afternoons 3 times a week. I will either not be working/working locally on Mondays and Fridays - but Wednesdays will be 45mins away from clinic and will need the afternoon off.

I don't know how to manage this. Maybe just taking a couple of Wednesdays as unpaid leave, so that I don't have to go in and face the "where are you off to" questions when I leave for the afternoon and if it is unpaid leave then my work have no need to know what it is I am not going to be there for.

I just think it will affect my prospects in the company as ideas re women having babies and getting to a top position in the company are old fashioned (as it is a small business hence the costs to them are a lot of mat leave etc) and I don't want another "cost" (time off for fertility treatment) to be associated with me, or for them to think I will be not concentrating on the job as am distracted by fertility treatment.

I think I will work through this 2ww but if unsuccessful will reconsider for future attempts.

Again sorry to crash the thread, and I know IUI and IVF are different.. it just felt like a bit of a miracle finding this thread as I have been so worried about it! If anyone has any thoughts it would be much appreciated! I'm sure it has just helped me to "share" this and get it off my chest!

love sunshine
x

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

Whilst down regging I only went to the clinic twice for a scan and that was once at the beginning and then 2 weeks later.  With Stims I went after 7 days and then every other day for 6 days and then it was EC and 2-3 days later ET.

I managed to get appointments first thing in the morning and was able to work these around work and just took time off for EC and ET.

x x x

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok dosent seem to bad though i was thinking that you needed to go for scans all the time!  I will also most probably take time off when I have EC and also maybe a week off when do ET and during my 2ww.

Does it all vary with person to person as to how many times you will need to go to the clinic etc?

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

Yes to be honest its only the second week of stims that you will probably need to go for a scan every other day.

I took some time off from EC as I was sore after EC and wanted some time to recover before ET.

It does vary and you might not stim for as long as others or you could stim for longer, you won't really know until you have started.

All the best

x x x

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hi Sonia

My last tx I had a baseline scan once down regged, then 3 x scans during stimming. All of my scans were done early in the morning & I got to work a bit late but I am the only person in my dept. (in a large company) & my Director only comes in the office once a week so I just didn't tell anyone apart from the day he was in I told him I had a doctor's appt. (and managed to get away with it phew!). Then I took annual leave for the week of EC & ET.
However, for this go (different clinic), I have the baseline scan then only 2 scans during stims, however they can only do 1 early morning scan so the other 2 I will try & get away with or just say one is doctor's & the other is dentist!! BUT my GP has agreed to sign me off for 2wks from EC as I am running out of holiday and I'd like to do this one with a little less stress of trying to work around so much! She said I just need to let her know how long I'd like & what I want her to put on there...but I will only have those 2wks as I'd feel too guilty ::).

I think it depends on how stressful your job is, whether you want to tell them or not and how flexible they would be with 'doctor / hospital' appts. Remember, it's not always that simple and you may need to go for more / less scans depending on how your tx is progressing and / or the schedule that your hospital stick to.

But try & be kind to yourself, last time I tried to fit it all in with working long hrs in a stressful job & 2 evening classes a week. Needless to say this time I am not going to be taking as much on!

Good luck  ^fairydust^

Wombly x

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts
Hi

I worked in investment banking until last week. When I had tx while I was working I tried to just take sick leave but I felt guilty at leaving them short staffed with no notice. Eventually, I gave up my job after our 4th IVF failure because;

1. there is apparently nothing wrong with DH's sperm so if the embies are not good quality it's because the eggs are not good quality

2. The decline in quality cannot be due to the age factor as all 4 attempts were within 12 months, ie not long enough for advancing age to make a difference, therefore according to my consultant the problem must be "environmental" and it's not like I live next door to a foundry! And anyway, I'm 35, not 105!

3. I'm thinking about going to the ARGC next and I know this will require daily visits to the clinic so I'll have to move back to the UK from France temporarily. I have no idea as to when I'll get the appointment and no clue as to when tx is likely to start so I couldn't just book holidays or ask for unpaid leave and the uncertainty would just have been another source of stress for me.

4. Of the 4 attempts so far, on 1&2 we had perfect embies, attempt 3 they were 30% fragmented (or damaged) and attempt 4 they were 50% fragmented and we ended up with nothing to transfer. On attempts 1 and 2, I was unemployed, attempt 3 I'd been working for 2 months and attempt 4 I'd been working 5 months. This was the deciding factor for me, the link is as clear as day.

Obviously this comes down to my apparent inability to manage the stress of my job, another person might be able to do the same job and cope with it fine, and of course some people are lucky enough to love their jobs and not find it stressful at all!

So whether you take time off or not, and how much depends on several factors as have been previously mentioned;

How stressful do you find your job?
How well do you handle that stress (if there is any)?
How often is your clinic likely to call you in for scans (only your clinic can answer this because they all do it differently)?
Is it easy to get time off at short notice?

I think your plan to take a week off from EC sounds pretty good though as things can get a bit uncomfortable after EC (twingey and sometimes a bit crampy, like period pains) and then it's nice to just be able to relax for a few days after ET (and in fact some people, mentioing no names, Zita West recommend 3 days total bedrest) so it can't do any harm can it? And going back to work for the last bit of the 2ww can be good as it gives you something else to do other than analyse symptoms!

Good luck hon whatever you decide!

xxx

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi.  I took two weeks off work after E.C.  The day of my Egg Collection, I had Fentynl(Morphine type drug) and Propofol (anaesthetic sedative) so was a bit away with the fairys for the rest of the day plus I did have abdo pain for the rest of the day.  I would strongly advise people to take the day of their egg collection completely off although I do appreciate that everyone's experience is different.

I think it really depends on the job that you do on how much time you have off following Egg Collection.  I had a really physical job so made sure I had two weeks off (I was lucky enough to do this).  If you have an office type job and one thats not too stressful, then going into work might be o.k.

The scans that you have before egg collection, unfortunately, its difficult to know exactly when they are going to be.  You usually have a scan 10 days after commencing the second lot of injections.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts