Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if you could give me some advice.
My son is 4 weeks old today, and at birth only weighed 4lb 2 (thanks to the wonderful growth scan which was completely wrong and I have no faith in scans at all now)- he has steadily increased in weight and today weighed 4lb14&a half.
I have been giving him expressed breast milk and formula top ups (at suggestion of neonatal MW to aid his weight gain)- but since I met my HV (who really upset me the 1st time I met her) my milksupply has been crap (when I was in hospital I had enough to feed the whole bloody ward)- and what I initially thought was colic with my son turned out to be hunger cries.
Is it correct that babies use calories to keep warm?? I was advised to keep a vest on him with a sleep suit for this purpose (to keep him warm as he has only just begun to put fat deposits down).
I just want to know if there is anything I can do to boost my milk supply (I have been using an electric pump to express milk- and getting only 60mlx2 per day, and anything else I can do to promote my sons weight gain.
Sorry for the rambling, but my sons weight gain is important to me- and and a cause of some anxiety.
Thanks for your help
AJ.
PS, is there anything I can do to stop my son having a screaming fit when he is trying to have a bowel motion (his bowel motions are more firm now due to the formula he is taking.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hiya

Here is some info on increasing your breast milk

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=135011.0

baby's use up calories feeding, keeping warm etc.

Also if your son is having too much fore milk then it can affect his weight. So try and express for a few minutes before feeding him so that he gets more hind milk.

Im sorry that your HV upset you ^hugme^

Where is your son weight on his centile/ growth chart?

Jxxxxx

1 - 2 of 2 Posts