Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies,

do you often wonder the best way to raise your children ^idiot^ ^idiot^..or is it just me....

your thoughts please

:-* :-* :-*

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Wow, there's a deep question.

Personally I think once you have children you could easily spend a lifetime wishing you'd done various things differently and/or better, but you just have to accept that you are doing the very best you know how and learn from any 'mistakes'. Things I've learnt since becoming a mom include realising there are many occasions where you just have to wing it, no one has all the answers, and it really doesn't matter what others think or do, what matters most is that you and your family are happy and just because someone else doesn't agree with your methods that's no reason to change them.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
barbiedoll said:
do you often wonder the best way to raise your children
I tend to just grab him round the waist and lift him up...

^roflmao^

sorry, couldn't resist ;D ;D

Chux, love your answer ^bow^ I have to admit I don't think too deeply about it, but I am continually relieved that DH and I had similar upbringings in similar environments. I think it makes things much easier as we tend to agree on almost all aspects of childcare.

xx Clare

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
ClareMack said:
I tend to just grab him round the waist and lift him up...
^roflmao^ ^roflmao^ As for not thinking about it too deeply, I would imagine you don't have time to!!

I have to say dh and I have similar views on bringing up our children most of the time and it certainly helps. However, there have been a few occasions where we've disagreed but fortunately always managed to come to a compromise - I dread to think what it would be like if we had conflicting opinions as I'm not sure you'd really know until a child came along.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Isn't it bizarre that if you're adopting or fostering you presumably undergo all sorts of discussions about your attitudes towards child-rearing, yet any fertile Tom, Dick (no pun intended ;) ) or Harry can bring a child into the world without any such preambles? 

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
I wonder about it lots & I think it's one of the reasons DH doesn't want any more - well the world that we are raising them in is IYSWIM?

I think we're raising N similar to how both me & Dh were raised, hopefully with respect for others & himself, confidence but not overconfident & most of all with love & security

It does worry me a lot of the time that he grows up to be a good & kind person :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
To be honest it's not something I think about.

For me there is 1 way to raise my son & that is my way (& DH's of course  ;)). I don't question it at the time & if I make mistakes I learn from them.

I take each day as it comes & just try to do what I believe to be the best for him.

xx

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have definitely questioned the route we have chosen for D at the moment ito routine vs no routine and don't have any answers. In fact, before I had a child I knew all the answers. Now I know nothing.  ::)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I CONSTANTLY WORRY!!! I suppose Its just lack of self confindence on my part but I do worry that I'll screw him up somehow.  I did social care at college a few years back and alot of what we learned is that Parents play a large part in either screwing folk up or making them a success, so I suppose thats where it stems from.

Dh is always telling me to chill out though so he keeps me from going insane alot of the time. I just wish kids came with a book of do's and don'ts.  It amazes me that for the first few weeks you have a hv and mw on hand but once they're over a certain age your left to wing it. 

Most importantly I just want him to be happy and confident I don't care about anything else. 

xxxxx

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Young D said:
I CONSTANTLY WORRY!!! I suppose Its just lack of self confindence on my part but I do worry that I'll screw him up somehow.

Most importantly I just want him to be happy and confident I don't care about anything else.

xxxxx
My sentiments exactly...

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I just follow my instincts, and try to do things for Lola that I remember valuing as a child.

If I get it right, then great but if I get it wrong sometimes, the best I can do is learn from my mistakes.

·
Registered
316 Posts
And start saving for their psychologist's bills...  ;D ;D ;D At least that's what a friend of mine keeps telling me to do.  :)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
LOL. I started reading a book years ago called "they f*ck you up".  One of the quotes was

"the best thing we can do for our future children is not to have any"!

Where would the world be if we took this advice aye!

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
superstar84 said:
Like we're trying to get Jack on normal food, today he had a fishfinger, aunt bessies frozen mash portion & peas with parsley sauce. When I was pg and before I was going to feed Jack on freshly picked fruit and veg harvested from a garden tended to by nuns ;D ;D
Yup, me too!! ;D ;D Then, I started stressing about buying said fruit and veg!! Now, he's on Hipp jars and some fresh fruit etc and I'm happier and he's getting fed!!

As far as I'm concerned, I'm flying by the seat of my pants and that makes it sooo exciting!! ;D ;D If a 'little' stressful!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Hello!

From personal experience I'd say anyone who thinks about how to bring up their children is doing a flipping good job :) I had a horrific childhood and have only had a bad example to follow but I've done my best but made mistakes along the way, due to my childhood one thing I found important was being consistent whether it be regarding discpline/rules or telling DD I loved her every, single day, usually 10 times per day ;D

She's 11 now and although she can be a little madam, she is confident, kind, caring, funny and her school tell me she is lovely to be around and a truly genuine little girl - what more could I ask for?

xx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.