Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
what I mean is.. we're on 3 hourly feeds and she feeds for about 10 minutes then drops off to sleep, sometimes in the day she'll want another bit of feed if I wake her up or sometimes an hour later.

my question is .. as she gets bigger.. will she want more regular feeds ..say every 1-2 hours or will she feed for longer? does the milk become more calorific? ( I doubt that one) so how does this pan out?

last week she was up nearly 5-6oz from the previous week but this week just 1oz  ^idiot^ but I can see not real difference in feeding habits.. if anything she's become a bit more regular..

can anyone shed any light on this..?
thanks for your thoughts/knowledge
alisha x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Your milk does change to suit your baby as they get older but their feeding habits can also change too. It's impossible to predict whether she will want more frequent feeds or for longer as it may be that she's a very efficient feeder who can get everything she needs very quickly.

She is heading for the classic 6 week growth spurt though so don't be surprised if all of a sudden she starts wanting to feed constantly.

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi
thanks for replying chux, :)

so could be more or longer feeds then..
so how long/often do they feed at 6 months then?
and what's the 6 week thing  :eek: .. I presume the pressure on the boobs is only going to intensify..  :-X(somehow I  never bargained for that)  ???  ignorance is bliss I suppose  ::)

I've got the NCT breast feeding book but it doesn't say anything about this.. unless I've been selective reading  ::)... shall take another look now....
x

I've just read the above pdf doc. and that explains a bit too so thanks for that  :)

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi Alisha,

They really are unpredictable and some babies will settle into a good feeding routine of 3/4 hourly whereas others will seem to feed erratically continuously! Unfortunately both my two were the latter and I just demand fed until I started weaning when more of a routine emerged.

They do have growth spurts, classically around the 6 and 12 week mark especially, and when this happens they often want to just feed round the clock. If/when it does happen don't worry as it's completely normal and what they are doing is stimulating your supply and sending the message to your body to produce more. It can last a few days before your body catches up and things settle down again.

I found there was quite a bit they didn't tell me such as how it doesn't come naturally but is a skill you both have to learn! The good news is the toe-curling pain when they latch on (not sure if you are still getting that??) does stop, things do get easier and your milk supply settles down to produce what is needed rather than overproducing and leaving you with rocks in your boobs!

Chux xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts