Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Wondered if anyone can help me?  Am due to have an HSG done on 12th April and all I have been told is to turn up.  However, I remember a friend of mine saying it was really uncomfortable afterwards and to take some paracetamol about an hour beforehand.  My main problem is I haven't got a clue really what's going to happen and also, my DH doesn't drive so although he will be with me I'm going to have to drive myself too and from the hospital.  Will I be ok to drive home?

Sorry to be a nuisance but I'm at a loss and wondered if anyone else could give me the benefit of their experience.

Thanks

Helena
xxx

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I'm not a nurse but had an HSG a couple of years ago which I was quite worried about because I had read it could be sore.  I had read a book advising that you take a couple of paracetemol/Anadin about half an hour in advance and when I checked with the X-ray dept they said that this would be OK.  So I dosed myself up with Anadin and mega Bachs Rescue Remedy and can honestly say it was OK - uncomfortable rather than painful, and it didn't take very long.  I had a little mild AF cramping occasionally for a couple of days afterwards, and I also felt that I had slightly more painful AFs for a few months afterwards (although still nothing to bother about).  I would think you'll be fine to drive but I felt slightly light-headed (probably from nerves, Anadin and mega Bachs Rescue Remedy!) so a taxi or bus might be a good idea if DH can't drive.  Good luck!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi Helena

I had a HSG about a year ago and I didn't take anything at all.  Everyone will be different but I didn't feel anything during or even after the procedure.

I was told that I may experience some mild AF type pain but the nurse said this does not happen to everyone.

The best advice is just to relax (often easier said than done I know)

Becky

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi Helena,

I think everyone's pain thresholds differ but to be on the safe side, I would get a taxi/bus home if possible. Mine was very very painful and I wouldn't have been able to drive aftewards, but from what I've read on this site, I think mine was an exception rather than the norm. I also didn't take any pain killers either. ::)
Sorry if this makes you more nervous, but you'll be fine, I'm sure - as Becky says, try to relax (I didn't!)
Good luck.
Caroline
x

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Hi Helena

I took Nurofen an hour before as these are good for period type pain.

I got a taxi home afterwards as wasn't up to walking a mile! I could have driven though (didn't have a car then)

The HSG was fine apart from one point where I was warned there would be a strong cramping pain which there was but it only lasted for about 10 seconds so was totally bearable. 

The pain afterwards was not as bad for me as my period pains normally are -  it was more like moderate cramping but I think the Nurofen must have helped.

Good luck!

Nicky x

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Helena, i was worried before my hsg because i had read it was painful. I didn't really have any discomfort at all, even when they said it might sting, it didn't :) Try not to worry too much. As for the driving, hopefully you should be fine, but see how you are on the day. :-\
love yved x

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Helena,

Like Caroline my hsg was painful so i do advise you to take some painkillers beforehand. Mine was a bit of an exception as it had to be done 3 times in a row due to failing equipment so because i knew it would hurt i tensed up more every time. My biggest advice is to relax.

I have read that it is more painful if your tubes are blocked (which mine are) Not sure if there is any truth in this or if i am just a big wimp!!!!

I drove home after my hsg with no problems as the pain went within 10 mins of the procedure ending.

Wishing you lots of luck,

Leanne x

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Think I must be a big wimp!  ;D ;D ;D

Cx

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
hey ladies

like leanne it took 3 attemps for them to do mine,no one warned me it would hurt! so i never took any pain killers.

i did drive home after but wish i hadnt has had alot of cramping pain-have to say a warm bath after eased it a bit.

good luck

love

Mez
xxx

caro-your not a wimp hun-mine really hurt me too!

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
I'm one of the wimps!  ;D 

A nurse came and gave me some Cocodamol about 20 mins before my HSG and I must admit it still hurt me a lot.  I did need to have my cervix clipped back though, so no doubt this didn't help.  I definitely couldn't have driven for a good 2 hours or so after the test as the cramping was so bad. 

It seems that everyone reacts differently to this test, and I'm sure it's more to do with your gynaecological make up rather than your threshold for pain.  I'm not too bad with pain in general, but this did hurt me.  So would suggest that you have a back up plan of an alternative method in getting home just in case you aren't up to driving. 

I hope it goes pain free for you and the test results come back clear. 

Take care

Jayne x

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi I also am one of the wimps  ;D
My hsg was the worse pain ever  :eek: ( I don't mean to scare anyone) Like the other girls said it depends on your circumstances  :) My tubes were badly blocked so it was the pressure of the dye I guess  :-\
A friend of mine had to have it done too, she came to see me a couple of weeks before she was due to have hers done, & I said to her "just prepare yourself cos it bl**dy hurts" When she called me the next time, she told me that hers didn't hurt at all, that was due to the fact that her tubes were not blocked! So each & everyone of us are different. I hope yours goes ok, good luck hun
noodle xx

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
hiya

i found it quite painful, but the worst was over in a few minutes, the nurse told me its worse for people who haven't been pregnant as the womb isnt stretched enough and that I have endometriosis too.  I had some strong pk's before hand (which i have for bad period pains) and 2 brandies (hubbie obviously drove).  I was fine afterwards apart from the shock of the tubes being blocked (which we found out a month later they werent).

I notice your a city fan!  same as my hubbie.

good luck xxx

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone that replied to my message...  ^Cuddle^ and I'm definitely a wimp.....

I think I knew I was in trouble when the Nurse said "This going to be the most painful thing ever - far worse than labour pains!" and it all went downhill from there... but the memory is fading and with the help of some seriously strong painkillers I managed to sleep most the day and night away!

Thanks girls

Helena
xxx

PS:  Flowerpot - your hubbie has great taste - mine supports Liverpool so its been a GREAT week in our house  ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.