Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am scheduled to have an HSG next Friday. I am a bit of a weed when it comes to these things and have heard lots of reports of pain, and am a bit scared! Can anyone offer any advice on painkillers to take beforehand and what to do afterwards? Also, I have heard it might be poss to get something prescribed as a muscle relaxant...has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

xxx

·
Registered
256 Posts
Please don't be worried, I promise you it's not that bad. It's just like a smear in that it's legs akimbo with a speculum so it's not overly comfortable but from my own experience the only pain was immediately afterwards like rather bad period pains. That was my own stupid fault as I didn't take any painkillers (don't like taking them really) but I had been advised to take a couple of paracetemol. I had to lie down for a while afterwards but everyone was really nice and they will let your DH come in with you... Good luck xxx

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I had an HSG and was also really nervous beforehand but it wasn't sore - just a bit uncomfortable during the procedure and I had no problems afterwards except some very mild cramping occasionally for a couple of days.  (I think an HSG can be painful, however, if your tubes are blocked, which mine were not).  I took two paracetemol about 30 minutes before my appointment and also dosed myself up with lots and lots of Bachs Rescue Remedy which I really think helps you to relax.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I had an HSG last year and my tubes are blocked but didn't really find it to painful just a very weird feeling really.  I had the muscle relaxant whilst I was there because they couldn't obviously get any of the dye up, and thought I was tensing up!  So maybe that was why it wasn't painful for me!
Try not to worry, I found everyone there really nice and helpful.
good luck with everything xx

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have had a HSG and I didn't find it to painful.  DH could come in with me and we could watch the screen.  We were given the results on the day, no problems! One thing I would remind you to take is a pad as the hospital ones are horrible, little like a house brick!
I took some painkillers before hand and everything was fine.
Try not to worry and good luck
Shaz xxx

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Bodia

Ditto what Shaz says about the housebrick hospital pads!  I have just got back from my HSG so thought I would share my experience (seeing as you asked!)

I had some pain during the procedure but no more than a bad period pain (I took two paracetamol plus beforehand but that was all and I was quite tense by the time they started as I had to sit around and wait for ages).  I found it better to stare at the screen and watch what they were up to as it took my mind off of anticipating pain. 

Once they get the procedure under way it only takes minutes.  The cramps subsided in to very mild ones within the hour and there is a little bleeding like at the end of a period.  But that's it.  I was expecting it to be far worse than it was in the end.  Please don't worry, everything will be fine and the best thing you can do is just practice some relaxation techniques so that your body does not tense up too much.

Best wishes for the 10th.

Fluffs xxx

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi - I had an HSG too quite recently - its not too bad! I found the worst bit was when they 'washed' me - but I get embarrased like that!! I wasn't told to take any pain killers and it was slightly uncomfortable, but not as bad as I thought at all! The best bit is you mostly get told the outcome there and then!
Ditto the housebrick pads!! ;D
I am sure you will be fine - good luck and relax!

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!

Did you go in with your DH / DP? I am not sure what the procedure is!

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Bodia

I think it depends where you are.  I asked if DH could come in but they didn't seem too keen on the grounds that the room was going to be full already (4 people to do one xray!).  I think DH was relieved (I wanted him to witness my suffering  :eek:) but there was a really nice nurse who held my hands so it was ok.

I think it also depends where you are as to whether or not you get the results straight away.  I didn't get mine which is annoying as my next appointment is ages away but it looked fairly ok to me and went quickly once they put the dye in so I am hopeful  ???

Fluffs xxx

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted yo give you a quick update...Had HSG yesterday, and was very fortunate as I had a lovely Doc and Nurse who were great and chatted away and tried their hardest to make me feel relaxed. The actual procedure was bloody painful, BUT it only lasted for about 2 mins! The Doc was super speedy and told me he'd worked on his technique to make it as quick as poss. He even apologised that I felt any cramping at all. As soon as he finished I felt fine, and the best bit was when he told me there were no blockages etc, because then I was so relieved!

Anyway, it really wasn't as bad as I had imagined, I think the thought it always worse than the reality, but I am pleased to have it over and done with. Thanks again for your messages of support.

Good luck everyone,

xxx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.