Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

My husband and I are having infertility tests and as he has a low count we have been told that after I have an HSG we will be referred for ICSI.  I have tried on 2 occassions to have this done but I cant physically go ahead with it.  The first time I didnt even get to the hospital and the 2nd time I got into the x ray room and just couldnt make myself get it done.  My option now is a Laparoscopy which 2 be honest sounds scarier than the HSG and my big fear is that if I cant get an HSG done what chance of I got of being able to proceed with infertility treatment which will mean more procedures like this.  I have to make an appointment to chat with the nurse about this but I am concerned that due to my anxieties that I will stop this now and not go any further and regret it in the long term.

Is there any alternative therapies or psycholgical help that I could get that would help me to get into the right frame of mind for this so that I can get these tests carried out without becoming a hysterical, crying mess.  The nurse did suggest after the first attempt that I get valium from my Gp which I did for my second attempt but it didnt help at all and I really feel now that unless I can do something to get over this fear I have of hospitals, gynae procedures and the reality of finding out what is wrong then I wont be able to take this any further.

Thanks for any help

:)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hello Nandp ^wave^ ,

I have posted another reply in another topic, to another lady in similar circumstances to yours. ( I think it was under "Starting out & Diagnosis" post).
Like you I had to go through an HSG a few weeks ago. I was absolutely petrified, I'm the type that just passes out with just a simple blood test..... ^idiot^ , I know it's daft.... while I was waiting at the Hospital to have this scan done, I felt like just getting up & go, but what kept me staying put in that seat, and later on lye on the table while the doctor carried out the procedure, is the immensely strong longing to have a baby, nothing else. It's something that unfortunately we DO have to have done, if we're going to have further Infertility treatment. An HSG is much less invasive than a Lap, and if you have this done & everything's OK, then you shouldn't need a Lap.
The procedure itself was uncomfortable , but not that painful, it felt like a longer than normal smear test. I remember thinking after they'd done it, " it really wasn't that bad, I expected pain!!!!!!". I've read in some other replies that some ladies took some painkillers before having the scan, but I wasn't told to take any so I didn't.

It may sound silly, but going through that little hurdle has made me feel much stronger with regards to having IVF (ICSI) , I know it's not going to be easy, but I feel more confident & I even can't wait to Self-injecting!!!!!  ^idiot^ ^idiot^

Give yourself some time , have a chat with the consultant & do remember that you'll be one step closer to having your dream. ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Take care & let us know how you get on

xxxxxx

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Hi,

I really feel for you, that must be awful.  I had an HSG done a few months ago and it was a bit scarey. But, i have to say it was much less awful than I thought, and hardly had any pain. I took 2 PK's before I went and that helped with the pain alot. I had no bleeding or anything afterwards either.

Have you considered taking Anti Depressants, just maybe a low dosage for a few months?
I take Citalopram (Cirprimil) only 10mg every other day and they are brill  ;D  I know you are TTC, so am I, but it may really help you to overcome your fears.  Having a lap is a bit drastic and would be worse than a 10 min HSG.  I thought Valium would help a bit, but maybe u need something a bit stronger.  Best of luck.  Jo x

PS. it was well worth having it done cos i found out my remaining tube is clear  :) 

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi there

I'm sorry that you're finding the process of having an HSG so daunting & scary. Sometimes the thought of things are far far worse than the actual procedure as we build up everything in our minds. Is there anything in particular about the HSG that scares you ??? Is there any way that perhaps you could visit the hospital & see the equipment used at the same time as talking to someone who would actually perform the HSG as perhaps just seeing it all first, before having it done would help ease your anxieties ???

If this is not an option have you considered hynotherapy for your fears ??? Not sure if it would help as I've never tried it myself but perhaps its something you could look in to if you're worried about future treatment as well.

I've had 4 x laps/dyes/hysteroscopies & I've had 1 HSG & to be honest, I agree with Jo, a lap/dye is more invasive procedure than a 10 min HSG...a lap involves general anaesthetic & a recovery period of about 2 weeks...whereas an HSG you're in & out really quickly & up & about within 30mins/1 hour.

Anyway, hope all works out for you ok...not sure if I've helped ???

Good luck & take care
Natasha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.