Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wonder if there is anyone out there who can advise me about the difference between a HSG and a Lap and Dye?  Are there any benefits to having either and or both?

Thanks Claire  :)

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Claire, I'm a Claire too!

I'm not a nurse and I've only had an HSG, but the main difference is that the HSG is an xray procedure done whilst awake and the lap and dye is more invasive with a camera put into your body whilst you're under a general anaesthetic. 

The HSG takes about 20 minutes and basically a speculum (like a smear test) is used to open your cervix and a catheter is then put in which injects an xrayable dye into your womb and tubes - at which point an xray is taken which will give a  picture of your tubes to see if they are blocked or misshapen or have adhesions. 

A lap (I'm sure I'll be corrected by other lap and dye ladies if I'm wrong) involves uses a camera to have a look generally at your uterus, tubes and ovaries, and then a dye is squirted through your tubes to see if they are clear and whether it comes out the other end.  They can usually resolve minor adhesions and cysts etc whilst they're in there, which is a bonus! 

Sometimes you'll be recommended an HSG first and if anything is spotted they may say you should have a lap afterwards.  I may have to have a lap now, for example, as they've spotted some calcification on my ovaries in my IVF scans.  An HSG is obviously less invasive and quicker and easier to perform as an outpatient radiology appointment with only a short rest at home needed afterwards.  The lap needs you to go into hospital and recover from the anaesthetic.   

It's also thought that an HSG can help to 'clear out' your tubes and some clinics reckon quite a few patients go on to conceive afterwards.  No such luck for me!
Some clinics insist on a lap before doing IVF so they can 'map' your insides and know what they're dealing with.  Mine didn't.

The HSG is only mildly uncomfortable - feels a bit like having a smear with AF pains at the same time! - and you may get a little bit of a bleed after , but I really didn't find it too bad.

I'll leave it to someone who's actually had one to tell you what a lap and dye feels like!
Good luck,

Claire x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Claire,

I have attempted to send you an email, dont know if it worked?!

Does anyone know of anyone having a HSG, having tubes unblocked and then falling pregnant?

Seems too good to be true!

Thanks Claire r  :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Claire,

I just had my HSG today with the result that my right tube is blocked. I have checked with friends on another forum and one of them had a blocked tube and is now 12 weeks pregnant. She didn't have the tube unblocked just got Clomid I believe.

so - there's still hope! :)

G

·
Hi little wolf

sorry to but in but that is very reassuring to here about your friend. ::)

I had hsg on the 18th Nov and found out that my left tube is completely blocked and my right one is a little blocked (the dye did get through and out the other side just not as much as he would have liked)

i have pcos and finding out his as well I was starting to feel like there was no hope of me every becoming a mom again. :'(

Claire I had a lap and dye when I was 16.  They do it under a general anesthetic and put a small cut in ur belly button.  they then place in a very thin camera once they have filled your abdomen with gas (it helps them get a much better look at you womb, uterus and tubes) They do inject a dye and if here are any problems they will try and deal with them while u are there rather then have you back in for the same procedure.  I felt fine after and the stitches dissolved within 7 days.  the only other place that i has a stitch was just above the pubic has line.

hope this helps

Charlotte

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi all,

I haven't had an HSG but had my lape and dye a month ago.

It was good to confirm
a) that I had all the necessary plumbing (well you start to wonder don't you?)
b) it was all connected/ the right way round etc and
c) that I did have a bit of endo as I suspected. Judging by the monthly pains, I thought It would be much worse that it was so that was really good news.

The dye test showed that I had one partly blocked tube. It seemed (and felt like afterwards) that they managed to get the dye through by applying a lot of pressure (from someones fist??!)

It did take me a few days to feel like myself again, but the discomfort and groggy feelings were outweighed by seeing colour photos of my bits and bobs (I'm joking - they look uurgh!) and knowing a bit more about what is or isn't wrong with me.

For me it was well worth doing - and I'm a big whimp!

Good luck girls, ^goodluck^

Cathy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts