Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies

i am having a HSG in the next month or two, can anyone explain what happens. feeling abit nervous about it. how do you feel after it, would i need to book a day off work? any info would be great! xxxxx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
hello again ;D

I had an HSG (hysterosalpingogram) many years ago & its really not that bad.
They inject "special" dye (thats's a technical term you know !! ;D) into your womb, via your cervix, and then are able to see on screen how it spills...ie it should flow up into your womb & then spill out the other end of your tubes.
I didn't find it painful although a little uncomfortable & I know some women take some pk's beforehand.
You will probably want to book the day off work as you might feel a bit tender afterwards (like you would with any poking/prodding about inside :-[ ) & also the dye has to come out sometime, somewhere so beware !! :-[

Take a look at this site as it gives some good info...

http://www.ivf.com/fert_hysterosalpingogram.html

Good luck & take care
Natasha

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
hiya,
I found it a little painful, a bit like light period pains, the lady told me it was because my womb wasn't stretched as I'd never had a pregnancy.  Its good because you get to see there and then if your tubes are clear.  I took my strong pk's an hour before. The blue stuff does have to come out so take some sanitary towells with you. I'd stay off work for the day too, you may feel a bit tender or have a few cramps afterwards. you'll be fine by the evening/next day though.

Good luck  ^reiki^

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi ya -
I had an HSG in April.  I was quite nervous was in the X-ray room for quite some time before the Dr. came in and my mind just went ^idiot^ .  Good on you to ask these questions now!

I did find it a little painful but only while the pass the cervix.  My cervix is curved so the small pencil-like thingy did not slide in nicely (don't mean to scare you).  It was only a very brief pain and hopefully you will have a beautiful cervix :)

It really puts your mind at ease to get the results of the HSG.  I only have one tube, but I was still releaved to see one tube PERFECT!

Best wishes. ^fairydust^

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hiya Sunflower,

I had a HGS in June.  Its pretty similar to a smear more embarrasing than painful, once the thingy is in to hold your womb open its not too bad at all, its good that you get the results there and then.  The dye does come out as soon as you stand up so sanitary towels are a good idea (a nice nurse gave me some).  You do get a few crampy pains afterwards but nothing worse than a bad period pain.  I took the rest of the day off work but I could have gone back if I had to.

Hope this helps.

Jo
x

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Hi Sun flower,

I had an HSG done last month because I had an ectopic in March and had to loose my left tube, so wanted to see state of remaining one. I was quite worried about the pain - but was reassured kindly by Minxy (ta!) and it is not as bad as you think it is. I have to say, I took 2 Ibuprofen Tabs an hour before I went and was glad I did because when they put the dye into your womb it does hurt a bit. Not much and not for long (a minute max).  I had a bit of cramping afterwards for a few hrs and they told me I may bleed, but hardly had any loss at all  :)  I felt fine and carried on the day normally afterwards.  Thankfully the dye shoot out thru my right tube so all is ok - nice feeling knowing that and makes having it done worth while!!  Good Luck.  Jo x

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all your replies ladies, you have put my mind at rest. Cant wait to go and get it done (if you know what i mean) if all is clear i am hoping to have a go on Clomid before our final ivf attempt. love to all xxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.